Looking for a budget tablet for my mother

JoostinOnline

I'm in the US and I think a tablet would be a good gift for my mother this Christmas.  While I'm fairly knowledgeable in desktops, what I know about mobile devices is pitiful.  I don't even know where to start.  I'm not looking to spend more than $100.  Right now she has a $50 2015 Fire Tablet that she's used for 4 years, so anything would be a step up.I'm hoping for Black Friday sales and such.  Some suggestions would be nice, but especially some things to watch for in specs if I look for myself.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Lol, the 100$ fire tablets are much better than the 50$ ones. Plus, prime day is supposedly coming soon, so you might get a 150$ish model for 100$

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Lol, the 100$ fire tablets are much better than the 50$ ones. Plus, prime day is supposedly coming soon, so you might get a 150$ish model for 100$

Are those the HD models?  Also, can you explain what makes them better?  I'm mostly a newbie at this stuff.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Are those the HD models?  Also, can you explain what makes them better?  I'm mostly a newbie at this stuff.

The 2015 50$ one would be a 5th gen fire 7 iirc. I have the 5th gen one, and the 50$ one had a shitty processor made for wearables (like smart watches) a 480p screen, and 512mb of ram. Bassically, the more expensive models have CPUs made for mobile phones and tablets, and a 720p or 1080p screen, and enough ram to have 2 browser tabs open.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The 2015 50$ one would be a 5th gen fire 7 iirc. I have the 5th gen one, and the 50$ one had a shitty processor made for wearables (like smart watches) a 480p screen, and 512mb of ram. Bassically, the more expensive models have CPUs made for mobile phones and tablets, and a 720p or 1080p screen, and enough ram to have 2 browser tabs open.

Are there any respected mobile benchmarks so I could get an idea of performance of different models and brands?

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

At $100 there are only a few things to look out for.

• Processor core count
  • RAM
  • Internal storage
  • Screen resolution

Although right now I don't really see an option other than the Fire HD 8. 

You might want to wait for the upcoming Prime Day on 13-14 Oct to see if a better model of Amazon tablet falls within your budget.

And please avoid all of them no-brand tablets.

Oh I'll definitely be waiting at least until then. This is a Christmas gift, I've got a few months. I don't mind the MSRP to be above $100, I just want suggestions to watch for possible sales.

I was thinking about the HD 8 Plus or the HD 10. The thing is, I have no way of knowing if the performance benefit is worth it. I don't even have a baseline. She was okay with her Fire 7 for a long time though, and still occasionally uses it. Performance isn't a big priority.