Need help finding the resistance or capacitance for parts on an Aorus 5700XT

Digital_Zero

Hey guys,

I’m repairing a broken Aorus 5700xt that a customer dropped off. It has several resistors and capacitors knocked off and I need to find someone who can measure them with a multimeter and tell me what they are (resistance, and capacitance).

Apparently he sent it in to Gigabyte and they sent it back without any option for a repair, even if he paid.

Here are the part locations: c525, c531, c698, r5016, r5022

Pic of board: https://imgur.com/a/S8HTZRZ

Any help would be appreciated.

Buildzoid made a board review of this card on youtube last year. Check it out, see if you can recognize any capacitors.. Maybe he even mentions them, I haven't watched the whole video. 

7 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Buildzoid made a board review of this card on youtube last year. Check it out, see if you can recognize any capacitors.. Maybe he even mentions them, I haven't watched the whole video. 

I watched this, the problem is they're 0402 and 0603 parts, so no marking on the resistors or caps, only way to get the information is to find someone with the card who knows how to use a multimeter to get the exact specifications of those parts. I appreciate you sending the video though. Thats also the Gigabyte 5700xt, not the aorus.

You cant measure this stuff while the components are in-circuit.

I would unsolder components nearby and hope the missing ones are the same value...they probably are and are in parallel for more current capacity.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

You cant measure this stuff while the components are in-circuit.

I would unsolder components nearby and hope the missing ones are the same value...they probably are and are in parallel for more current capacity.

You can do it in circuit by measuring voltage drop while it's powered on(I did it that way with a pci-e extender), but you're right unsoldering nearby ones may be the easiest way to do it. I wish I could get my hands on the schematic, would make my life much easier.

Just now, akio123008 said:

You could get a dead 5700XT for cheap and use donor components from that.

Yeah I'm trying to. Seems to be the easiest way, got a post on reddit's hardwareswap right now.

4 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

But how do you insert your multimeter into the circuit to determine the current? Do you actually desolder the parts? Also what about the capacitors?

The caps I plan to just desolder and measure. I don't know how to do that properly in circuit. to get it into the circuit (there were 2 I could check) you would find what point on the board its connected to and place the probes there. for instance for r206 it's connected to the open solder pad right to the left of it, so you can measure it there and on the right side of it, it hits the lower solder pad. Not all are going to be able to measured like that as the board is layered making it exponentially harder to find whats connected to what.

To clarify this is not my specialty, and my knowledge isn't the greatest. the guy who brought it to me brought it as a last ditch effort as no one else would touch it, and its unusable anyway. (I'm also doing this pro bono). Most of my work similar to this is classic console modding/repair with schematics or really well done instructions.