Newegg shipping 3080s without boxes

spartaman64
19 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

That's an interesting hypothesis.

Newegg owned by Hangzhou New Century Information

ABS branded prebuilts owned by Newegg

ABS currently doesn't offer a single prebuilt with an NVIDIA 30 series card in it.

Just my thoughts on the why of this hypothesis.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

17 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

holy fuck thats impressively destroyed lol

what i find funny is that the screen picture respecs the same damage shape of the video card

lol

17 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Mmm, I'd imagine these cards are coming from 3rd parties then. Maybe they're scamming by pulling the cards and returning the boxes weighted and then selling the cards like this. 

I'd believe that. Gavin Free from the Slow Mo Guys purchased a Dremel tool off of Amazon. The case was in shrink wrap and all, but when he opened it, there were two cans of Dr. Pepper in place of the tool. So I wouldn't put it past scammers to do just that.

8 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I'd believe that. Gavin Free from the Slow Mo Guys purchased a Dremel tool off of Amazon. The case was in shrink wrap and all, but when he opened it, there were two cans of Dr. Pepper in place of the tool. So I wouldn't put it past scammers to do just that.

"Can you send it back to us? So... You want me to send you two cans of Dr. Pepper?"

I've had to go back and watch that again, it's a funny story.

So weird that happened? I couldn't imagine how they have loose ones...Any confirmation on how that happened or just the normal "we sry this happen, we talked with internal to stop it in the future but no promises"?

17 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Damaged RTX 3080image.png.468572b51e1a9e93b9ac315429add424.png

source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/newegg-shipping-evga-rtx-3080s-without-boxes

wtf is newegg doing? EVGA must have sent it to them in a box right? So why are they taking them out of the box and shipping them.

People buying the card, keeping the box and returning the gpu, which is getting resold because Newegg is out of inventory.

Couple of reasons a box might be kept.  1 is the person just opened it and didn’t keep track of the box then returned it.  The other is the first buyer could want to pull a wish.com and put an old card in an empty box so they can sell it twice. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

why would more than 0 people return a 3080?

One thing that keeps being said about the 3080 is that you get almost nothing out of it if you’ve only got a 1080p@60hz monitor.  Same could go for older CPUs.  Maybe anyone who bought one but has one of those. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 hours ago, porina said:

Skimming the source, it sounds like those GPUs were "OEM" ones intended for inclusion in a pre-built system. Hope they were sold as OEM cards not retail, as the warranty may be different (don't know how EVGA treats that). The bad packing is negligence on NewEgg's part.

OEM parts sold via retail usually only come with a basic 30 or 90 day warranty. Basically just enough to ensure it's not DOA. Why? Because it's supposed to be the System Integrator (Eg: Dell) providing the warranty as part of the entire system.

So, for example, if you buy a retail GPU, it might come with a 3 year warranty. If you buy an Acer PC with the same GPU pre-installed, the entire system might have a 1 year warranty (including the GPU).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

One thing that keeps being said about the 3080 is that you get almost nothing out of it if you’ve only got a 1080p@60hz monitor.  Same could go for older CPUs.  Maybe anyone who bought one but has one of those. 

What kind of person buys a $700 graphics card to pair with a $60 monitor?? I doubt that there would be enough buyers like this to warrant multiple people receiving box less 3080s. 

On 9/24/2020 at 10:31 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Why would they ship them without retail packaging though... does Newegg offer assembly? That's the only reason I can think of as to why EVGA would do that for an online retailer. The only items I've seen shipped and sold that way are like mice and keyboards that are supposed to be supplied with new computers. Those of course don't come with retail packaging. It's just wrapped in bubble wrap for the most part. 

Yes, Newegg offers assembly under the brand ABS computers.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

6 hours ago, Sorenson said:

What kind of person buys a $700 graphics card to pair with a $60 monitor?? I doubt that there would be enough buyers like this to warrant multiple people receiving box less 3080s. 

Not a lot of people on this forum I suspect.  I see a lot of posts lately with some version of “ive got a ten year old low end 4/4 chip.  Will I have bottlenecks with a high end new gpu? I just want to get more fps in fortnight than my friend because I get my butt kicked and buying a new gpu seems easier”.   A lot of people that play video games on computers neither know nor care much about what makes the little people on the screen move.  They just don’t like getting their butt kicked.

which is why i will never buy anything from amazon or whatever xD

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate