DIY OpenVPN Server?

TukangUsapEmenq

I'm just wondering. I stumble onto this video and... Well, not actually using AWS when you got Google Cloud free credits anyway. Works like a charm right now. No more those stupid block on Reddit on my country lol

Now I'm really wondering. Correct me if I wrong, of course. The one good purpose of VPN is when.. You need to pull some data from your local network at home, while you're at somewhere using a cellular network. Is it actually okay if I'm using an old computer (or as simple as Raspberry Pi), install OpenVPN on it, and call it a day? I don't really want to use cloud because of... Why use cloud if you can have it locally.

And do I really need a license for this? Currently on my Google Cloud I can use 2 devices, freely. But in case on home I want to my NAS to connect to the VPN, or my PC, or else. Do I need it?

And yes, I know I need a good upload speed and latency if I'm gonna for local VPN server. But, just wondering.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

3 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

The one good purpose of VPN is when.. You need to pull some data from your local network at home, while you're at somewhere using a cellular network.

The primary purpose of a VPN is to access a private network over the internet, as if your computer is directly connected to that network. E.g. companies can use this to give employees access to company resources that are otherwise only accessible on their internal network. You can use it to access stuff on your home network while not at home.

3 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

And do I really need a license for this?

OpenVPN Inc. does have a commercial product which requires a license, but that isn't needed for your use case. Just stick to the open source version of OpenVPN, which is free to use.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

You don't need VPN to avoid country blockage.

You can also use DNSCrypt, which is way faster than VPN.

It doesn't involve channeling the stream through another computer (which depends on that server speed to get the stream).

https://www.dnscrypt.org/

I choose cloudflare server as my dns provider, they are fast.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

9 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

OpenVPN Inc. does have a commercial product which requires a license, but that isn't needed for your use case. Just stick to the open source version of OpenVPN, which is free to use.

Welp, means I can only get two devices, for example, my phone and my NAS connected at the same time, then? Perhaps maybe another free, open-source VPN server OS other than OpenVPN that you can recommend? Perhaps something that can use standard VPN types so I don't have to use another app (just integrated with Windows and Android) tho.

9 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

You don't need VPN to avoid country blockage.

You can also use DNSCrypt, which is way faster than VPN.

It doesn't involve channeling the stream through another computer (which depends on that server speed to get the stream).

https://www.dnscrypt.org/

I choose cloudflare server as my dns provider, they are fast.

I personally using Cloudflare's 1.1.1.2 DNS tho, they actually already unblock most of blocked sites (because ISP I use only DNS-blocking those sites, unfortunately some ISP on public wi-fi won't work and still needs VPN). I used anonymoX sometimes, reliable enough until now but bruh. Slow af.

But the real purpose why I want VPN, of course is Eigenvektor's answer.

9 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

to access a private network over the internet, as if your computer is directly connected to that network.

But well, good suggestion either to use DNSCrypt, didn't think of it before. I'd consider to test both for the needs later somehow.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

2 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

I personally using Cloudflare's 1.1.1.2 DNS tho, they actually already unblock most of blocked sites (because ISP I use only DNS-blocking those sites, unfortunately some ISP on public wi-fi won't work and still needs VPN). I used anonymoX sometimes, reliable enough until now but bruh. Slow af.

No, it's not the same as DNSCrypt, with it all your dns request are encrypted so the ISP cannot see where you want to go. It's pretty much the same encryption as VPN without tunneling. And the server is only send you DNS data, not the whole http stream so it is quicker.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

18 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Welp, means I can only get two devices, for example, my phone and my NAS connected at the same time, then? Perhaps maybe another free, open-source VPN server OS other than OpenVPN that you can recommend? Perhaps something that can use standard VPN types so I don't have to use another app (just integrated with Windows and Android) tho.

No, as they said you don't need the commercial version, stock OpenVPN can allow as many connections as you want.  The catch is it may need more manual setup.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 9/24/2020 at 11:10 PM, SupaKomputa said:

No, it's not the same as DNSCrypt, with it all your dns request are encrypted so the ISP cannot see where you want to go. It's pretty much the same encryption as VPN without tunneling. And the server is only send you DNS data, not the whole http stream so it is quicker.

Ah, I got it. Will consider on it then.

So DNSCrypt for basic browsing and things, and VPN just in case I need connection to my personal network. Seems good like this?

On 9/25/2020 at 5:21 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

No, as they said you don't need the commercial version, stock OpenVPN can allow as many connections as you want.  The catch is it may need more manual setup.

Ah, okay. I get it. I thought I would even need any kind of license for personal use anyway.

Just wondering, tho @Alex Atkin UK. What kind of pfSense router you actually use? That i5-7200U are kind of interesting on me (since I basically using the same exact processor on my laptop lol).

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

2 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

So DNSCrypt for basic browsing and things, and VPN just in case I need connection to my personal network. Seems good like this?

Yeah pretty much it.

17 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Just wondering, tho @Alex Atkin UK. What kind of pfSense router you actually use? That i5-7200U are kind of interesting on me (since I basically using the same exact processor on my laptop lol).

It was one of the "appliances" off Amazon which I suspect came straight from China as it took FOREVER to arrive.  I went with this particular one because I knew Gigabit FTTP would be a thing likely within its life span and I'd be using OpenVPN which is very single-thread heavy.

I actually have three WAN connections, with a UK VPN connection over each (generally only one used at a time, the others so it can failover if one drops link), a VPN to a US server (for accessing region blocked sites), a VPN connection to a NAS at a friends house and a VPN to my Virtual Private Server, so I don't have to leave the Web configuration UI open to the Internet.

I also have a VPN server on pfSense so I can remote in that way and get the full protection of everything configured on the router.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7