New Android Phone suggestions?

SirReallySam

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new Android phone but struggling to find something quite right. I'm in the UK and my budget atm is about £370 but willing to go up if needed.

My priorities are it has to be Android, good camera in both photos and videos, Decent amount of storage (At least 128gb or has expandability with microSD), if possible a Qualcomm CPU to use the GCam app (Harder to find in the UK than you'd think)

Nice to haves would be a headphone jack and 5G.

At the moment I'm thinking the Pixel 4a, Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite or OnePlus Nord. But I'm wondering if I should wait out for a Pixel 4a 5G? Just for reference I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S9. Of course as I'm in Europe it has a cruddy Exynos Chip....

Any suggestions welcome though :)

Cheers,
Sam

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

13 hours ago, SirReallySam said:

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new Android phone but struggling to find something quite right. I'm in the UK and my budget atm is about £370 but willing to go up if needed.

My priorities are it has to be Android, good camera in both photos and videos, Decent amount of storage (At least 128gb or has expandability with microSD), if possible a Qualcomm CPU to use the GCam app (Harder to find in the UK than you'd think)

Nice to haves would be a headphone jack and 5G.

At the moment I'm thinking the Pixel 4a, Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite or OnePlus Nord. But I'm wondering if I should wait out for a Pixel 4a 5G? Just for reference I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S9. Of course as I'm in Europe it has a cruddy Exynos Chip....

Any suggestions welcome though :)

Cheers,
Sam

5G isn't coming in a meaningful way anytime soon unless you live in a city so i wouldn't bother waiting out.

If camera is priority the answer is Pixel. For video you'd be better off with an iPhone but you don't want good software apparently. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Pixel 4a gets my vote (If you really want 5G, you could go for the soon-releasing Pixel 4a 5G, but 5G is nothing but a gimmick at this point)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1. Definitely Samsung S10 lite. You're getting a much faster chipset, amoled HDR10+ display, 128gb base storage with sd card expansion, 45w fast charging with 4500mah battery.
  2. The cameras are good but not the best, although gcam should help in astrophotography and night mode images.
  3. No headphone jack unfortunately.
  4. Two more years of os updates.

Only get the pixel 4a if you want the best camera performance for the price.

Get the nord for the 90Hz screen.

Don't get tempted to buy an iphone, you'll end up with a device that doesn't meet your requirements.

13 hours ago, EL02 said:
  1. Definitely Samsung S10 lite. You're getting a much faster chipset, amoled HDR10+ display, 128gb base storage with sd card expansion, 45w fast charging with 4500mah battery.
  2. The cameras are good but not the best, although gcam should help in astrophotography and night mode images.
  3. No headphone jack unfortunately.
  4. Two more years of os updates.

Only get the pixel 4a if you want the best camera performance for the price.

Get the nord for the 90Hz screen.

Don't get tempted to buy an iphone, you'll end up with a device that doesn't meet your requirements.

Issue is it's a samsung which means poor support and software. The cameras are miles behind google too.

iPhone is better camera wise than the Samsung and video wise it stomps android. 

7 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Issue is it's a samsung which means poor support and software. The cameras are miles behind google too.

Only annoying this about iPhone is it shoots video in a variable framerate which my Video Editor of Choice (Davinci Resolve) doesn't automatically work with. Needs a constant framerate. Which means I'd have to convert all the rushes first and then import them to Davinci, not sure I can be bothered with that...

Also I asked for Android suggestions, I'm not going to buy an iPhone, sorry.

PROFILEYEAH

9 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Issue is it's a samsung which means poor support and software.

Samsung promised 3 years of os updates for the s10 series. They do indeed have useful features, but seeing region based ads in their bloatware is kinda disappointing.

The cameras are miles behind google too. 

Yeah, but they are still pretty good compared to other phones in this price range.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a new iPhone xr on amazon uk for £370. Anything below that surely isn't as good as s10 lite with gcam.

2 hours ago, SirReallySam said:

Only annoying this about iPhone is it shoots video in a variable framerate which my Video Editor of Choice (Davinci Resolve) doesn't automatically work with. Needs a constant framerate. Which means I'd have to convert all the rushes first and then import them to Davinci, not sure I can be bothered with that...

Also I asked for Android suggestions, I'm not going to buy an iPhone, sorry.

You can set the phone to 24, 30 or 60 FPS and resolve has no issue at all with it considering I’ve used it with iPhone footage. 

Thats why I said pixel, just saying android lags a long way behind iPhone in video. 

11 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

You can set the phone to 24, 30 or 60 FPS and resolve has no issue at all with it considering I’ve used it with iPhone footage. 

Thats why I said pixel, just saying android lags a long way behind iPhone in video. 

Variable framerates are just a pain with NLEs. I've always had issues with them and it's well documented on the davinci

forums that it's a known problem.

PROFILEYEAH

28 minutes ago, SirReallySam said:

Variable framerates are just a pain with NLEs. I've always had issues with them and it's well documented on the davinci

forums that it's a known problem.

The iphone doesn't have variable frame rates i literally just told you that you choose between 24,30 and 60

On 9/24/2020 at 10:27 PM, Lord Vile said:

The iphone doesn't have variable frame rates i literally just told you that you choose between 24,30 and 60

Yes I know you can set a target framerate of 24, 30 and 60 fps but it does fluctuate on iPhones and lots of other smartphones too. Don't think you quite understand, have a read of below:

https://momofilmfest.com/smartphone-iphone-filmmaking-what-is-variable-frame-rate-vfr/

This means with lots of non linear editing software you have to first convert it to a constant framerate, this adds an extra step to the process. Premiere Pro does a good job of not caring about it. But other ones like Davinci Resolve are much more picky.

PROFILEYEAH

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, huilun02 said:

SD855

Minimum 128GB internal storage and Microsd slot

Higher capacity battery that also charges much faster

This is a no-brainer

Which phone are you referring to?

25 minutes ago, nicolaidenmark said:

Which phone are you referring to?

Prolly s10 lite

On 9/26/2020 at 10:22 AM, SirReallySam said:

Yes I know you can set a target framerate of 24, 30 and 60 fps but it does fluctuate on iPhones and lots of other smartphones too. Don't think you quite understand, have a read of below:

https://momofilmfest.com/smartphone-iphone-filmmaking-what-is-variable-frame-rate-vfr/

This means with lots of non linear editing software you have to first convert it to a constant framerate, this adds an extra step to the process. Premiere Pro does a good job of not caring about it. But other ones like Davinci Resolve are much more picky.

Literally edited video recorded on an iphone in reslove with no issues.

On 10/6/2020 at 7:29 PM, Lord Vile said:

Literally edited video recorded on an iphone in reslove with no issues.

Well, good for you. I and many others have issues with it.

PROFILEYEAH