Igor’s Lab tests find 3080 FE GDDR6X memory hitting temps above 100*C

FaxedForward

Looks like the GDDR6X memory in the 3080 is REALLY getting pushed to the limit. IIRC in previous generations 95*C was generally considered the highest “safe” temp for regular operation.

Igor notes that he intends to continue testing Ampere cards so I look forward to seeing if these high temperatures are consistent or if the FE is unusual in this regard. Right now it is too early to say.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/gddr6x-am-limit-ueber-100-grad-bei-der-geforce-rtx-3080-fe-im-chip-gemessen-2/

image.jpeg.4eb8a4d189122cb4a148e94eb7bb8206.jpeg

image.jpeg.c585983e133cd250df11e5fd81007ea6.jpeg

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

GA102: 

05onfire1_xp-superJumbo-v2.jpg

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well that's quite hot.

At least 99.9% of the people out there won't be affected since we can't get the FE model

Just now, Exeon said:

Well that's quite hot.

At least 99.9% of the people out there won't be affected since we can't get the FE model

Just because the FE cards are getting this hot doesn’t mean the AIB cards aren’t. Igor seems to suspect that this will be a common trait of GDDR6X cards.

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

first batch of cards having problems? how unexpected :P 

wonder if there are some easy modifications to alleviate this. although if it runs fine at those temps without fear of degradation then i guess its okay...

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Just now, FaxedForward said:

Just because the FE cards are getting this hot doesn’t mean the AIB cards aren’t. Igor seems to suspect that this will be a common trait of GDDR6X cards.

Interesting. People are chickening already when they see the CPU reaches 70C "Oh, my CPU will die prematurely." And now we see this.

1 minute ago, FaxedForward said:

I believe I saw a breakdown of several AIB's showing entirely different configurations when it comes down to what part of the GPU gets cooled.

I think it's normal for faster memory to run hotter and for newer cooling methods to aleviate those.

We would have to see tests on the AIB's for confirmation

7 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

first batch of cards having problems? how unexpected :P 

wonder if there are some easy modifications to alleviate this. although if it runs fine at those temps without fear of degradation then i guess its okay...

There are no published values from Micron, Nvidia, or the AIBs as far as safe maximum temps for GDDR6X.

However, Igor suspects it is in the neighborhood of 120*C (!!!) before chip degradation.

In response to questions among colleagues, for example from the R&D departments, it was unanimously agreed that the maximum temperature Ttot before the start of a possible destruction of the chip should be 120 °C and that Tjunction should probably be set at 105 °C or for the GDDR6X even at 110 °C is specified as the maximum value.

23 minutes ago, FaxedForward said:

There are no published values from Micron, Nvidia, or the AIBs as far as safe maximum temps for GDDR6X.

However, Igor suspects it is in the neighborhood of 120*C (!!!) before chip degradation.

Thats what i was trying to find, ill keep a look out for that though.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Strix B550
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200MHz 32GB (16x2)
  • GPU
    EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080TI
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
    WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD | WD Green 2TB HD | WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 850W
  • Display(s)
    Asus 1920x1080p 144hz
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master Master Liquid 240
  • Keyboard
    Logitech Pro TKL
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Logitech G733
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Igor has done some follow up testing and managed to lower module temperature by 8 degrees with some...interesting thermal pad placement 😏

https://www.igorslab.de/en/simple-pad-mod-for-the-force-rtx-3080-founders-edition-slowers-the-gddr6x-temperature-by-a-whopping-8-degrees/