what forums y'all reccomend for VR noobs

Paul_Johnson

anyone know of any good forums for me to ask noob questions about virtual reality technology?

I want to get into VR but not sure how to do it since there is so many options out there. there's a ton of videos on youtube i've been watching so i already know that there are PC VR headsets, play station and probably even xbox VR, and then there is oculus that doesn't plug into anything unless i put it in developer mode and somehow plug it into a pc. but that's all i e learned so far. 

i don't want to get a playstation or xbox. i have an xbox 1 but haven't touched it in a year. i only got it to play halo 5 lol. 

im trying to decide if i should get a pc VR headset or an oculus.

9 minutes ago, Paul_Johnson said:

im trying to decide if i should get a pc VR headset or an oculus

They're both VR headsets...

Like here is an adequate place to ask questions. But you haven't really asked one

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

10 minutes ago, Slottr said:

They're both VR headsets...

Like here is an adequate place to ask questions. But you haven't really asked one

oh ok. i didn't see a VR section which is why i made this post.

Here's some questions i have: I like to play FPS games like Doom eternal, Halo games, etc and the only sim game i liked is MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries. an old game but i still play with friends online to this day. are there any games like those y'all would reccomend? MW4 is a walking tank sim.

I want to make my gaming hobby physical so i'm exercising while i'm gaming. I learned about motion trackers that i can put on my wrists, belt and ankles and there are a lot of games that i can use in tandem with any VR headset. I'm considering getting Oculus 2, but if I went that route, what would i be missing out on if i didn't get the way more expensive PC VR headsets i've seen?

the other question i have, is what's the best way to keep from fogging up the lenses? 

6 minutes ago, Paul_Johnson said:

Here's some questions i have: I like to play FPS games like Doom eternal, Halo games, etc and the only sim game i liked is MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries. an old game but i still play with friends online to this day. are there any games like those y'all would reccomend? MW4 is a walking tank sim.

None of those games have VR support.

VR is not something like plug in a headset and boom interactive environment and gameplay. The games have to be specifically made for VR or implement VR support.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

@Paul_Johnson

what is your Budget for VR 

do you have any existing hardware? like a  PC or headset 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

7 minutes ago, Paul_Johnson said:

There's things like Doom VFR but its meh

Half life alyx is an awesome shooter. Arizona sunshine is a zombie shooter thats really good. Maybe look into Pavlov.

Beat saber is an absolute must.

You need to get a good seal on your nose. I've never had fogging problems

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, tikker said:

None of those games have VR support.

There is a VR version of Doom 2016

but yes

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Just now, Drama Lama said:

There is a VR version of Doom 2016

but yes

True there is Doom VFR. It's still a separate game though.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

@Paul_Johnson

what is your Budget for VR 

do you have any existing hardware? like a  PC or headset 

yeah i have a gaming PC. 

i78700k CPU with an all in one liquid cooling solution, 64GB DDR4 dual channel RAM, 8GB gtx 1070ti, 850watt PSU, and hopefully in a few months when the 3090 is actually available, i'm replacing the 1070ti with the 3090, and then over clocking my CPU to 4GHz. 

budget? well i don't know enough about VR technology to have a budget yet. I'm trying to figure out what to get first, then plan out my budget, since i have no idea how much VR tech costs.

edit: I have already put 200 bucks aside for motion tracking tech since i learned you can put motion trackers on your wrists, waist and ankles. but that's a separate budget from VR headset and controllers, not to mention if i can use an existing headphones/mic headset or if i have to use a built in version of a VR headset

Ok, thanks to what I've learned from here, along with LOTS of youtube videos I've been watching, I think I may have narrowed it down to three VR headsets, systems, whatever the correct term is: Valve Index, HTC Vive Pro, and Oculus Quest 2. 

So what is is that the HTV Vive Pro and Valve Index can do that makes it worth spending the extra money when the Oculus Quest 2 is so much cheaper? 

1 hour ago, Paul_Johnson said:

8GB gtx 1070ti,

That’s an ok gpu for VR

1 hour ago, Paul_Johnson said:

So what is is that the HTV Vive Pro and Valve Index can do that makes it worth spending the extra money when the Oculus Quest 2 is so much cheaper? 

The Valve Index has a 120Hz screen the other 2 have a 90Hz screen 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

index is currently the flagship of VR headsets it's also the most expensive and requires lighthouses 

i have a quest 1 and i love that it's also a standalone headset so i don't even need to worry about what my PC is doing. and with Oculus clearly going down the road of making Oculus Link a real thing instead of just a beta, it can be used as a traditional headset too by connecting it to your PC. the inside out tracking i've not actually had any issues with

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Is this bull crap, or is really a thing, of getting a cheap connect sensor and it working better than the high end ones you mount on opposite corners of a room and yet still have issues?

1) VR has spezific Games developed there are a lot of ports like Doom / Skyrim / Fallout 4 

2) a good choice is the Oculus Quest 2

Why you might ask?

- its all in one , all you need is in the package.

- its cheap but very good and it will be Wireless in the near Future like the Quest 1 ( i sold mine yesterday for the Quest 2)

-if you Love it and aquired a Feeling for VR safe some money for the big guns which will get released in the near Future.

3) there are Games Like mechwarrior but in my opinion not as good.

4) your PC is fine for VR 

5) for the Love whats holy to you avoid Pimax...

The Setup is very easy for all Mayor VR companies.

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation

On 9/19/2020 at 6:31 PM, Paul_Johnson said:

Ok, thanks to what I've learned from here, along with LOTS of youtube videos I've been watching, I think I may have narrowed it down to three VR headsets, systems, whatever the correct term is: Valve Index, HTC Vive Pro, and Oculus Quest 2. 

If you get a Quest 2, understand you will have to connect it to a Facebook profile and if you are ever banned from Facebook for any reason, you will lose access to any software you purchased and possibly render the headset  entirely useless without a valid Facebook account.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/review-we-do-not-recommend-the-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-next-vr-system/

https://www.roadtovr.com/fake-facebook-account-oculus-headset-community-standards/

For PC VR there are really 2 options at this point.

Valve Index (pick this if you want the most accurate tracking with the best controllers and are going to use the tracking pucks for full body as you've suggested)

HP Reverb G2 (pick this if you want the best visual clarity and ease of setup as it uses camera bases tracking. It's also cheaper that the Index)

I'd avoid HTC as their support if your device has issues has been horrible since the original Vive and the Cosmos has been a pretty big flop so they may not be in the commercial VR space for much longer without a huge direction pivot.