i5 8600k 4.8GHZ enough for 3080?

HerstalP90

Hello everyone, as the title states, i have an i5 8600K overclocked to 4.8. I can probably go higher. 
But is this enough for a 3080? 

I currently have a dying 1080TI. And honestly i'd love to have a TI card again. I'm on the pre order list for an MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio. 
But i'm wondering if i should wait for the TI version. I love playing high fidelity games. But the games i always come back to are FPS games. I have a 1440P 144HZ monitor. 
Am ofc waiting for Cyberpunk 2077. And some of the other games coming out this year. My 1080 will probably not make it till the end of the year. The normal 3080 is already empthying my bank account.

But since i'm chronically ill. Gaming is basically all i do, as sad as that sounds. 
So the thought of my 1080 self destructing before i get a new GPU is honestly kind of scary to me. 

an I5-8600k is fine for the 3080, it will not extract the same potential at extremely high refresh rates (144hz and up) that a i9-10900k will but you will certainly see a large performance improvement across the board.

with 3080's looking to be scarce until next year, if your fear is your PC being unable to game, there are also some cheap 2080Ti's floating around now.

Everyone's asking this question today. We don't know yet. JayZTwoCents said that Intel 8000 series had an obvious bottleneck coming from 10900K.

Hardware Canucks did benchmark across a good group of Ryzen products. Hopefully someone does the same for Intel. It's just Intel's crappy motherboard platform, forcing everyone to get something new. If I had to do benchmarks across multiple motherboard, I'll KMS. Data's more available for Ryzen because all you have to do is get one motherboard, update BIOS, plug and play the CPU. sigh.

Can't wait for Intel benchmarks starting from 4000 to 10,000 series. See how many gen that is smh

the 8600k/9600k are as sufficient as any other intel cpu except in games that lose their shit when you dont have smt, like far cry 5. 5ghz is usually pretty attainable though you may need a delid on the 8600k, depends on how low you can go on voltage. thatd get you in the same average framerates as a 10600k, just less stable frametimes on average and you may see frame lag in titles that are heavy on the cpu or just poorly optimized. an 8700k would be a great investment, sell the 8600k for 140-150 and pick up an 8700k for 210-230. even if your current mobo cant overclock the 8700k far itll be a lot more stable regarding frametimes and will be more enjoyable in the long run. stock clocked 8700k should provide a better experience than a 5ghz 8600k.

or if you have a mobo that can support a coffee lake cpu with some modding...

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

I have a GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 motherboard. My problem is, like i said the 3080 is already cleaning out my bank account. 
Thanks to my illness i have to be on gov benefits because nobody in their right minds would pick me over someone healthy. So my funds are very limited. 

Getting a new mobo and CPU etc would cost way too much. And upgrading from an i5 8600k to an i7 8700k seems like a lateral move. I might upgrade some time down the line. 
But atm i simply can't afford it. It will take me multiple months to get the money just for a CPU. 

21 minutes ago, HerstalP90 said:

Hello everyone, as the title states, i have an i5 8600K overclocked to 4.8. I can probably go higher. 
But is this enough for a 3080? 

I currently have a dying 1080TI. And honestly i'd love to have a TI card again. I'm on the pre order list for an MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio. 
But i'm wondering if i should wait for the TI version. I love playing high fidelity games. But the games i always come back to are FPS games. I have a 1440P 144HZ monitor. 
Am ofc waiting for Cyberpunk 2077. And some of the other games coming out this year. My 1080 will probably not make it till the end of the year. The normal 3080 is already empthying my bank account.

But since i'm chronically ill. Gaming is basically all i do, as sad as that sounds. 
So the thought of my 1080 self destructing before i get a new GPU is honestly kind of scary to me. 

Even though we don't have complete benchmarks, you can bet that it at least won't break if you put a 3080 in the system.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

3 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Even though we don't have complete benchmarks, you can bet that it at least won't break if you put a 3080 in the system.

Thats always a plus at least.