Best GPU for 1080p 60hz monitor ?

222feb23

I have 500$ budget and need a new GPU to replace my GTX970 but i don't have enough money to go for a new pc included new monitor or just GPU+monitor, so need something to keep my rig going at least a year, is there any good GPU with that price ?

4 minutes ago, 222feb23 said:

I have 500$ budget and need a new GPU to replace my GTX970 but i don't have enough money to go for a new pc included new monitor or just GPU+monitor, so need something to keep my rig going at least a year, is there any good GPU with that price ?

is that a USD budget?

6 minutes ago, 222feb23 said:

Yes

for $500 usd, if you cannot wait (for the new gpu's from both amd and nvidia), depending on your current specs, if you need to purchase straight away, going a 2060 or 5700XT would be your best bet (i listed both for if you have a preference, as the 5700xt will peform arguably better but im a nvidia guy so i would go the 2060, but a 970 has a decent amount of performance for 60hz)

personally i would wait for the new gpu's and see what you can get a 120+hz monitor for

You can go for a AOC 24G2 (180$), which is a great gaming monitor and still have enough money to buy a 2060 (maybe even 5700XT if you can strech it a bit) or something similar. This will get you going for the next few years. The 5700XT upgrade might be worth it. New GPUs in your pricerange will still be a fair bit away.

If you really want to spend it all on a GPU, the 3070 is a good buy. But for 1080p 60Hz it's entirely unnecessary.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, lexusgamer05 said:

What are the rest of your specs? In my opninion, there's not much better you can do for a 60Hz monitor than a 970 and equavialents. If you have 500 USD, that seems like enough for a new monitor and GPU

The rest is H170 mobo, i5-6600, 16Gb ram, fsp aurum s 600W psu

1 hour ago, lexusgamer05 said:

The maximum GPU I'd go for in that build is an RTX2060

If i don't need ray tracing then between 1660S or 1660ti, what should i get ?

18 hours ago, Stahlmann98 said:

You can go for a AOC 24G2 (180$), which is a great gaming monitor and still have enough money to buy a 2060 (maybe even 5700XT if you can strech it a bit) or something similar. This will get you going for the next few years. The 5700XT upgrade might be worth it. New GPUs in your pricerange will still be a fair bit away.

If you really want to spend it all on a GPU, the 3070 is a good buy. But for 1080p 60Hz it's entirely unnecessary.

It would be necessary if he wants ray tracing.

5 hours ago, charlie_c137 said:

It would be necessary if he wants ray tracing.

For 1080p 60Hz with raytracing a 3070 is still overkill. The 3070 is targeting 1440p 144Hz.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 hours ago, Stahlmann98 said:

For 1080p 60Hz with raytracing a 3070 is still overkill. The 3070 is targeting 1440p 144Hz.

Ok I thought the 3080 was optimized for larger resolutions... but I see your point. Perhaps the future 3060 would be the better option. I know the OP has mentioned that ray tracing isn't very important now, but that could very well change with future titles.

Wait for 3070, you'll have enough power for years to come and you won't need to upgrade it again in a year when you upgrade the rest of your PC.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:47 AM, Stahlmann98 said:

I really wonder what games you're playing that you think low/,mid range GPUs are good enough for 1080/60, in my experience that's a not the case at all. Especially not at max settings...   "Esports" titles maybe?

Yes, a 2070 would be a good option maybe, but why do that when the 3xxx series is coming out, and the 2xxx wasn't that good either way (neither performance nor reliability)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I really wonder what games you're playing that you think low/,mid range GPUs are good enough for 1080/60, in my experience that's a not the case at all. Especially not at max settings...   "Esports" titles maybe?

Pretty much any GPU like the 1650 Super and higher can easily do 1080p 60fps, even in AAA games.

Spending 500$ on a GPU to play at these settings is just not worth it imo. You can save a lot of money by going with something cheaper.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Pretty much any GPU like the 1650 Super and higher can easily do 1080p 60fps, even in AAA games.

Spending 500$ on a GPU to play at these settings is just not worth it imo. You can save a lot of money by going with something cheaper.

Well as I said in my experience that isn't the case, I can basically play none of my games (with exception of a few VN style indies) at Max settings/60fps and 1650 super is 2% faster than my card (?) so I doubt it'd would make a big difference.

The only time these low end cards make sense imo is when someone really doesn't have the budget for something better or primarily plays"Esports" titles which apparently run acceptably even on a potato... (Which admittedly is a huge market but I just wouldn't generalize it like that and having some headroom for the future can't hurt either)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Wait for 3070, you'll have enough power for years to come and you won't need to upgrade it again in a year when you upgrade the rest of your PC.

So spend 6-700 for 3070 (i don't think third parties like Giga, Asus,... will sell 3070 the same price as FE version) now and upgrade the rest along the way, sound like a good idea since 500$ is what i want to spend right now not all i have right now 

On 9/17/2020 at 4:09 PM, 222feb23 said:

So spend 6-700 for 3070 (i don't think third parties like Giga, Asus,... will sell 3070 the same price as FE version) now and upgrade the rest along the way, sound like a good idea since 500$ is what i want to spend right now not all i have right now 

yeah  basically but I would also say wait a few months, looks like Nvidia has something better up their sleeves still - there's always something better coming, sure, but in this case it might be worth waiting a few months and hopefully prices will settle too, though you can't do much wrong with a 3070 right now either if you don't totally need more VRAM

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity