Motherboard cord connection help

Schraufabagel

I have a Gigabyte B450m DS3H WiFi motherboard, AMD wraith spire cooler, and Corsair iCue 220T Airflow case with the 3 rgb fans that come with it.

I'm having trouble connecting some parts in. My motherboard only has one usb fan header, which the rgb fan controller for the 3 Corsair fans is plugged into. My wraith spire cooler also has one. Do I need a splitter?

The three Corsair fans each have a 3 pin connector and a 4 pin connector. The 4 pin ones are connected to the fan controller. Where do I then connect the 3 pin connectors?

Finally, my wraith spire cooler has the standard sleeved 4 pin connector I connected to a normal fan header. There’s also another 4 pin header that is next to that usb fan header I mention above. Where do I connect this one?

So in short, I have open 3 pin connectors on my rgb fans, open 4 pin connector on my cooler, and an open fan usb header (7 pin?) on my cooler.

Both fan headers (sys fan, and cpu fan) are already used. I have 3 way splitters on the way so I can connect the wraith cooler, 2 standard fans, and the 3 rgb fans.

Any help would be appreciated! It’s my first build.

Fans usually only need three wires so if you have fans that have four wires, bets on that fan has RGB.  Yes, you're going to need a splitter.

11 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Fans usually only need three wires so if you have fans that have four wires, bets on that fan has RGB.  Yes, you're going to need a splitter.

No, RGB is via a separate 3- or 4-pin cable.

3 pin fans are voltage controlled-- they adjust speed by supplying less than 12V on the power pin. 4 pin fans are PWM controlled-- the 4th pin communicates with a circuit on the fan to adjust the speed while supplying full voltage from the board.

OP, can you get a picture of the headers you're talking about? IIRC, the B450m DS3H only has one CPU fan and one case fan header, so you will need a splitter.

16 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

This is INCORRECT.

Please see picture. Its somewhat of a standard.

Screenshot_10.png

24 minutes ago, Schraufabagel said:

I have a Gigabyte B450m DS3H WiFi motherboard, AMD wraith spire cooler, and Corsair iCue 220T Airflow case with the 3 rgb fans that come with it.

I'm having trouble connecting some parts in. My motherboard only has one usb fan header, which the rgb fan controller for the 3 Corsair fans is plugged into. My wraith spire cooler also has one. Do I need a splitter?

The three Corsair fans each have a 3 pin connector and a 4 pin connector. The 4 pin ones are connected to the fan controller. Where do I then connect the 3 pin connectors?

Finally, my wraith spire cooler has the standard sleeved 4 pin connector I connected to a normal fan header. There’s also another 4 pin header that is next to that usb fan header I mention above. Where do I connect this one?

So in short, I have open 3 pin connectors on my rgb fans, open 4 pin connector on my cooler, and an open fan usb header (7 pin?) on my cooler.

Both fan headers (sys fan, and cpu fan) are already used. I have 3 way splitters on the way so I can connect the wraith cooler, 2 standard fans, and the 3 rgb fans.

Any help would be appreciated! It’s my first build.

Most of this info can be found in the manuals. (might need to google them as most dont include them in the box anymore).
Most likely the 3pin header that accompanies the plugged in fan-header is a ARGB header (digital individually addressable led control-connection).

Like @Grabhanem said, trow up some pictures. As 3 pin headers come in all sorts and it actually matter what they look like for as what their purpose is.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

26 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

3 pin fans are voltage controlled-- they adjust speed by supplying less than 12V on the power pin. 4 pin fans are PWM controlled-- the 4th pin communicates with a circuit on the fan to adjust the speed while supplying full voltage from the board.

OP, can you get a picture of the headers you're talking about? IIRC, the B450m DS3H only has one CPU fan and one case fan header, so you will need a splitter.

I’ll upload pictures in a bit. I have ordered 2x 3 way fan header splitters (4 pin ones)

20 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I confess, I was wrong.

It happens to the best. No worries. :)

At least the intention was there. ;)

And only smart ppl can admit they are worng. heheh

Here are the pictures. The first has the two connectors that come out of the bottom of the wraith spire cooler. The second picture is of the cords that come out of the rgb fans that were included with the case. The 4 pin connectors that are also attached to each fan were installed in the fan controller when I got it new in box. So I left them as is.

D4634E0E-6000-4B66-BFC7-060DC503DEA9.jpeg

92FCD0BD-583A-49A9-ABB7-AF3C0EDDB941.jpeg

32 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

This is INCORRECT.

Please see picture. Its somewhat of a standard.

Screenshot_10.png

Most of this info can be found in the manuals. (might need to google them as most dont include them in the box anymore).
Most likely the 3pin header that accompanies the plugged in fan-header is a ARGB header (digital individually addressable led control-connection).

Like @Grabhanem said, trow up some pictures. As 3 pin headers come in all sorts and it actually matter what they look like for as what their purpose is.

Uploaded pictures below

33 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

Uploaded pictures below

I went to the Gigabyte B450m DS3H WiFi motherboard website to see if I could figure it out but when it comes down to brass tacks and nails, just don't arbitrarily attach things simply because they fit.  That's why they are called, "Proprietary".

9 minutes ago, Schraufabagel said:

Uploaded pictures below

Those 3 pin connectors are regular fan connectors with RPM sense(that the 3rd wire 1 and 2 are 12V+ and ground).

They go into fan header on the motherboard. (If those fan headers are 4 pin you can still use them just make sure the tab lines up in the slot on the connector)

Screenshot_11.png

The on with the arrows is a regular USB connection but for inside the case. (See it as an USB plug).

Its can be directly inserted into motherboard if there is room.

The one in the box is a RGB-led connector. That use the +12V on pin 1 and 2,3and 4 are respectivly Red-ground Green-ground and Blue-ground

This one does need a RGB led driver system. Most curent motherboards have then

Screenshot_12.png

Hope this informs somewhat.

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Those 3 pin connectors are regular fan connectors with RPM sense(that the 3rd wire 1 and 2 are 12V+ and ground).

Screenshot_11.png

So should these be plugged into 4 pin fan headers? Or is there a specific 3 pin connection that’s would be needed? Sorry, it’s all new to me haha

1 minute ago, Schraufabagel said:

So should these be plugged into 4 pin fan headers? Or is there a specific 3 pin connection that’s would be needed? Sorry, it’s all new to me haha

Dont ask you dont know. ;) So keep asking and educate yourself. :D

But yes they are 'backwards' compatible. I have since reflected the post with the pictures to reflect that. Just make sure you line them up correctly.

If you look here, see the slot depicted by the number #1, that needs to be lined up with the notch #2.

Screenshot_13.png

If you do that with a 3 pin fan connector it will look like this:

Screenshot_14.png

9 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

They go into fan header on the motherboard. (If those fan headers are 4 pin you can still use them just make sure the tab lines up in the slot on the connector)

Screenshot_11.png

The on with the arrows is a regular USB connection but for inside the case. (See it as an USB plug).

Its can be directly inserted into motherboard if there is room.

The one in the box is a RGB-led connector. That use the +12V on pin 1 and 2,3and 4 are respectivly Red-ground Green-ground and Blue-ground

This one does need a RGB led driver system. Most curent motherboards have then

Screenshot_12.png

Hope this informs somewhat.

That helps a lot for the wraith spire cooler. I now know where to plug both. I just need a hub (maybe the NZXT one) so I can plug the one with the arrows in. Since the Corsair fan controller also uses that port

5 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Dont ask you dont know. ;) So keep asking and educate yourself. :D

But yes they are 'backwards' compatible. I have since reflected the post with the pictures to reflect that. Just make sure you line them up correctly.

Cool. I’ll wait until my 3 way splitters are here. I should then have enough spots to plug the 3 in. Since I have 6 fan connections but only 2 fan headers

Just now, Schraufabagel said:

That helps a lot for the wraith spire cooler. I now know where to plug both. I just need a hub (maybe the NZXT one) so I can plug the one with the arrows in. Since the Corsair fan controller also uses that port

Maybe thats has a USB pass-trough, as the text on the connector made me think its USB. But like @kb5zue said, there still are proprietary connectors and plugs out there. Or manufacturers use them incorrectly. So i will have to strongly recommend first checking the manual Or maybe a quick install guide if those are really the connection you need.

I believe the hub in my case is a Corsair.  It could also be a CoolerMaster since my case is a CoolerMaster Mastercase Maker 5t.  Either way, the hub is what fixed my fan connection problems.