be-quiet pure power 11 1200w Question

Calranthe

My PSU says the power is split between 4 rails 24a 24a 38a 38a and a full 1200w available does that mean if I have one single  3080 or 3090 it will be too much for it ?

I am just a little confused.

2 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

My PSU says the power is split between 4 rails 24a 24a 38a 38a and a full 1200w available does that mean if I have one single  3080 or 3090 it will be too much for it ?

A 1200w psu is overkill for just about anything. You could probably run two 3090's in SLI and a 3950x at the highest stable overclock you could manage and still have some headroom. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

10 hours ago, Calranthe said:

d a full 1200w available does that mean if I have one single  3080 or 3090 it will be too much for it ?

No, the psu will provide the wattage that is needed, not 1200w to a system that doesn't need it.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

You only need that power if you overclock, but not even regular overclocks need that amount of power.
Just saying.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

3 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

You only need that power if you overclock, but not even regular overclocks need that amount of power.
Just saying.

I was just confused because some PSU's have 76a going through one rail and from reading mine it is split between 4 rails watts and amps being different.

Modern desktop PSUs all have a single 12v source, where it get split off by two or more shunts to monitor the current and report it to the IC. Think of this as something similar to the fuse / circuit box inside of your home. It's a virtual limitation that prevent a set of cables that it is monitoring from drawing too much power; either cause by the user or a component that failed and shorted out (one that isn't detected by the short circuit protection or SCP).

It is nothing like this: 

XFX Pro 1250W Black Edition Power Supply – JonnyGURU.com

11 hours ago, Calranthe said:

Yeah dude 456W(38a) on the gpu rail clearly isn't enough for 3080 let alone for the 3090, you better pony up some money for the Super Flower Leadex 2000W.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

12 hours ago, Calranthe said:

you will likely have to look at the rail config and use 1 rail for each cable to the PSU depending on the raillayout. 

Also that PSU likely is not a 1200w unit, probably a 700w Pure Power 11. the rail layouts are seperate from the full continioues power it can provide. 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

you will likely have to look at the rail config and use 1 rail for each cable to the PSU depending on the raillayout. 

Also that PSU likely is not a 1200w unit, probably a 700w Pure Power 11. the rail layouts are seperate from the full continioues power it can provide. 

Sorry to disagree with you, just took a picture of the side details.

spacer.png

My question and concern I thought was quite reasonable, I couldn't find what a 2080ti or any high spec card draws in Amp every card shows Watts but not Amp.

My PSU has 1200w 100A available to the rails it states that right there, but it also states it is splt between 4 rails 24 24 38 38. Now a superflower with a single rail for example has 65.4a available on that rail.

The obvious choice is for me to as someone stated hook into the 38 + 38 as the two connectors on a single card will give 76a 

I just wondered if the Bequite range had smart rails which if only one was in use had all available to that one rail (not watts but amp).

I know this PSU is overkill, but it is what I have.

Just now, Calranthe said:

Sorry to disagree with you, just took a picture of the side details.

Thats the Straight power 11, not the Pure Power 11 . two notably different units, sorry for the confusion. you wrote Pure Power 11 in the headline and i assumed you were reading the specifications wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

The obvious choice is for me to as someone stated hook into the 38 + 38 as the two connectors on a single card will give 76a 

you can plug into a single 38a rail or 2 24a rails. it would give more than enough current either way. 

41 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Thats the Straight power 11, not the Pure Power 11 . two notably different units, sorry for the confusion. you wrote Pure Power 11 in the headline and i assumed you were reading the specifications wrong. 

you can plug into a single 38a rail or 2 24a rails. it would give more than enough current either way. 

Oops yes my bad on that for some reason I get those two mixed up, apologies.

Volts times Amps is Watts.

So 12 Volts and 38 amps makes 456 Watts.

12 x 38 = 456

Screenshot_3.png

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 hour ago, HanZie82 said:

Volts times Amps is Watts.

So 12 Volts and 38 amps makes 456 Watts.

12 x 38 = 456

Screenshot_3.png

I should know that but didn't equate it from my setting up solar to computer PSU's. doh!

Thank you.