Should i get Linux Ubuntu or stay with Windows?

Title says it all, this is just a question for my pc build.

Also should i get it on a USB Stick or burn it on a CD/DVD?

2 minutes ago, Ishnifan said:

Title says it all, this is just a question for my pc build.

Also should i get it on a USB Stick or burn it on a CD/DVD?

What are you going to be using the PC for? USB stick is typically easier, especially if your build doesn't have a DVD drive. Either way works fine though if you have the ability to use either method.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

what will you be doing on the pc? 

if gaming is a part of it what games? some games like esports games don't work well on linux due to anti cheat. 

She/Her

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

What are you going to be using the PC for? USB stick is typically easier, especially if your build doesn't have a DVD drive. Either way works fine though if you have the ability to use either method.

some mid-tier gaming and stuff like that, i made a thread on a build i want to make and specified (i hope from memory atleast) what im gonna use it for.

yea we need to know what you're doing with the pc. (and specs could be helpful as well)

CPU: AMD 3600X

GPU: Nvidia 3070 (planned)

motherboard: MSI B500-A PRO

memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3600Mhz CL16

PSU: EVGA B3 650@

Case: NZXT H510

wireless network adapter: intel ax200

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

what will you be doing on the pc? 

if gaming is a part of it what games? some games like esports games don't work well on linux due to anti cheat. 

same as i said to waggish

Just now, Ishnifan said:

some mid-tier gaming and stuff like that, i made a thread on a build i want to make and specified (i hope from memory atleast) what im gonna use it for.

what games? 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Ishnifan said:

It really depends on what games you're going to be playing. In theory you can get most if not all games working on Linux, but it requires a good amount more work to get them running in the first place. In the end it boils down to how much work you're willing to put in to get your games working, or how much money you're willing to spend to avoid putting in that work.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, Ashley xD said:

what games? 

Probably minecraft, team fortress 2 and some slightly older ones, ill try to find some new games though.

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

but it requires a good amount more work to get them running in the first place.

no. depoending on the games they are either native or run in proton. that's the case for most things now. 

Just now, Ishnifan said:

Probably minecraft, team fortress 2 and some slightly older ones, ill try to find some new games though.

minecraft and TF2 are native, they will work on Linux without any additional work or configuration. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

It really depends on what games you're going to be playing. In theory you can get most if not all games working on Linux, but it requires a good amount more work to get them running in the first place. In the end it boils down to how much work you're willing to put in to get your games working, or how much money you're willing to spend to avoid putting in that work.

same as i said to ashley

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

no. depoending on the games they are either native or run in proton. that's the case for most things now. 

minecraft and TF2 are native, they will work on Linux without any additional work or configuration. 

as i said im gonna try out some new games, maybe theres something better i can play than just 2 of the same games

Just now, Ishnifan said:

as i said im gonna try out some new games, maybe theres something better i can play than just 2 of the same games

...which new games, i really need to know that because not everything will work on linux.

She/Her

not sure yet but ill do some research when i feel like it, which probably will be later.

If you plan to primarily play newer games, use Windows.

If you plan to use games that have anti-cheat protection, use Windows.

If you want the most out of your NVIDIA card, based on post history, use Windows.

If you still want to use Linux, check https://www.protondb.com/ and https://lutris.net/ to see if the games you plan to play will run and how well.

If you plan to do anything else, we need to know what.

1 minute ago, Nayr438 said:

If you plan to primarily play newer games, use Windows.

If you plan to use games that have anti-cheat protection, use Windows.

If you want the most out of your NVIDIA card, based on post history, use Windows.

If you still want to use Linux, check https://www.protondb.com/ and https://lutris.net/ to see if the games you plan to play will run and how well.

If you plan to do anything else, we need to know what.

sounds like windows then, thanks to everyone that posted here.

1 hour ago, Nayr438 said:

only if you wanna use RTX because that isn't supported on linux yet, or features like GSync iirc, although that might be supported by now but i use AMD so haven't checked. for just gaming performance on linux it's pretty much the same as Windows.

She/Her

22 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

only if you wanna use RTX because that isn't supported on linux yet, or features like GSync iirc, although that might be supported by now but i use AMD so haven't checked. for just gaming performance on linux it's pretty much the same as Windows.

GSync is supported, Ray Tracing support has been started, no idea how far out though before we will ever see it in use.