Need help to choose a monitor!

Larry Philips

Hi,

I hope so of you guys can help me choose a monitor.

First important thing : apart from a little bit of retro gaming here or there, I am not a gamer. Therefore, all the bells and whistles specifically aimed at gamers are not something I'm overly concerned with.

What my monitor will be used for :

- video and photo editing

- video viewing (web, YouTube, Amazon Prime and Netflix)

- TV viewing (coming from the HDMI output of a TV hard-drive/BD-R recorder that would double as a TV tuner)

Features the monitor should have :

- 4K HDR
- 24 inches minimum, and 32 inches maximum -- though I would really prefer 24 inches if possible

- Real 10 bits (no 8 bits + FRC)

- A good video color gamut (such as DCI-P3... let's not dream about REC 2020) and, if possible, a high sRGB or Adobe RGB percentage

- HDMI port must support HDCP 

- If possible, a USB-C input that supports both video and audio in

- And, before I forget, at least one Display Port

So far, the BEN-Q EW3280U seems to be almost perfect, but it's a tad too expensive -- and I would really prefer a slightly smaller screen.

Hope all the details can help.

Thanks in advance!

I have to point out that there is no use for 4K at 24". I would even go as far as to say it's not even much sharper than 1440p at 32". Laptops using 4K screens at 17" or smaller just make me laugh.

Just go for a LG 27GN850. It's marketed as a gaming monitor, but it's also a great creative monitor with excellent 98% D65-P3 coverage. I have 2 of these myself and can confirm after measuring them using a i1DisplayPro Plus both have 97,5% coverage and 98,5% volume of the D65-P3 gamut.

Afaik there is no noticeable difference between native 10 bit and 8 bit + FRC.

HDR is not properly implemented in any monitor under 2000$. Most of them accept an HDR input but can't actually display any HDR other than the wider color gamut. If you really care about HDR without breaking the bank, TVs are the way to go.

Even if you don't need 144Hz, the higher refresh rate will make your workflow and even these occational retro games much smoother and more pleasant to work with. I can't go back to 60Hz even on desktop usage myself. It just feels like a stuttery mess to me.

Other than that and the missing type-c connector the LG monitor is imo the best gaming/creator hybrid that doesn't break the bank.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

12 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I have to point out that there is no use for 4K at 24". I would even go as far as to say it's not even much sharper than 1440p at 32".

Afaik there is no noticeable difference between native 10 bit and 8 bit + FRC.

Thanks.

The point is, I will edit videos I shot with my Fuji X-T4. It's 4K 10 bits 4:2:0 and, while I'm definitely not a pro (I would buy a much more expensive monitor if I were), I'd much prefer staying in the camera's native resolution while editing. 

6 minutes ago, Larry Philips said:

Thanks.

The point is, I will edit videos I shot with my Fuji X-T4. It's 4K 10 bits 4:2:0 and, while I'm definitely not a pro (I would buy a much more expensive monitor if I were), I'd much prefer staying in the camera's native resolution while editing. 

There is also the LG 27GN950, which is native 4K 10 bit. But that's sitting at 950$, so it's basically out of the picture...

I hope somebody else can give you further advice, as i for the most part only know my stuff when it's coming to gaming displays. Good luck finding what you need.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I have also short listed the BEN-Q EW3280U as I cannot find the LG 32UN880-B 32 Inch UltraFine Ergo 4K available in Canada. After watching the Project Zero Cables video I axed my plan for 2 ASUS proarts + usb-c dock and decided I needed less cables and screens at the desk I now spend 15ish hours at mon-fri with moving to full remote. Other then not coming with a proper adjustable stand the Benq meets all my needs:

- 4K 32 inch IPS Display

- At least 3 video inputs with 1 or 2 DP 1.4, 1 HDMI 2.0, and one usb-c (DP alt w/ at least 45w PD) for one cable docking my MBA

- Good for productivity work (I work in application security ei lots of reading code, writing reports, and making presentations)

- Fast scrolling response for text

- Will make shadow of the tomb raider and other HDR games look pretty (I know this fits the HDRn't category according to LTT but its better then nothing)

- Its only about 15% more then I budgeted for replacing my ancient 24 and 22 inch monitors...😰

Its missing a couple nice to haves like a USB hub to go with the usb-c in, local dimming, and faster then 60hz refresh (but I am not sure my 5600XT can push more then that at 4k anyway, the macbooks def can't). I have read the How to choose a monitor guide here, and checked with pcmonitors.info (not just the review, but interacting with them about this monitor in youtube comments) and a few other reviewers. I am about ready to pull the trigger and order it.

Does anyone have this monitor?

If so is it of good quality and does it meet the requirements listed by the OP and myself based on your personal experience with it? Also how long have you had it?

Edit: after submitting this I checked amazon again. It looks like the LG 32UN880-B is at least listed on amazon.ca now, its 100 less then the Ben-q that makes it a harder sell now. I might wait an see if the LG comes into stock in the next few days.