Will my specs work with the Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3080?

dreaminonlol

I've done as much research as I could to make sure my specs is compatible with the new Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3080 but I still just want confirmation and that I will be able to plug it in and use it when I get it.

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490 (PCIE 3.0 x16) < I recently bought and I'm a bit annoyed that for $400 it doesn't have PCIE 4.0 I just hope it doesn't reduce performance of the card.
CPU - Intel Core i7 - 10700k (OC to 5GHz)
Liquid Cooler - Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM
GPU - GeForce RTX 2070 (Swapping out for RTX 3080)
RAM – Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3600MHz (OC to 3733MHz)
M.2 SSD - Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB
SSD - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500GB
PSU - CORSAIR RM850x 80+ Gold Certified (Modular)

Wait for ampere to launch first and check but for the most part, x16 gen 3 should be enough bandwidth for a 3080.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Wait for ampere to launch first and check but for the most part, x16 gen 3 should be enough bandwidth for a 3080.

Well the thing is I don't even see a motherboard that's LGA 1200 compatible and has PCIe 4.0 so I wouldn't think Nvidia would make a card 4.0 required unless they wanted to lose out on a lot of their market.

10 hours ago, dreaminonlol said:

so I wouldn't think Nvidia would make a card 4.0 required unless they wanted to lose out on a lot of their market.

No, as i said for the most part, gen 3 should be enough for a 3080.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, dreaminonlol said:

Well the thing is I don't even see a motherboard that's LGA 1200 compatible and has PCIe 4.0 so I wouldn't think Nvidia would make a card 4.0 required unless they wanted to lose out on a lot of their market.

Pcie standard alone removes the possibility of making something that can only run on one standard, they must be backwards compatible

As for PCIe 4 on Z490, actually the boards are capable but the CPUs you can buy today arent.

Wait for benchmarks, only then we can tell

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

No, as i said for the most part, gen 3 should be enough for a 3080.

I was more concerned about the power supply it's 850 and modular just wondering if it's good enough or if I need any additional cables for it

it's 850 and modular just wondering if it's good enough or if I need any additional cables for it

Wait for ampere to launch and check it's power consumption but it should be more than enough for a 3080 and a 10900k.

Build Log: 

Your system is as good as it gets for combining with a 3080. I see no issues here. The small uplift PCIe 4 will probably bring will be outperformed by your faster CPU. Basically the 10700K will negate the PCIe 4 uplift from current AMD processors.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, dreaminonlol said:

I was more concerned about the power supply it's 850 and modular just wondering if it's good enough or if I need any additional cables for it

Probably even a good 650W PSU can easily handle your system. So i wouldn't be concerned about that. Of course, we don't know anything for certain and you can bet a lot of reviews are coming on launch day. So just wait for all the numbers and make an educated buying decision.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

15 minutes ago, dreaminonlol said:

This OC won't give you much afaik. The stock clock speed can actually reach 5.1GHz. So you basically leave single-threaded performance on the table with this OC.

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Your system is as good as it gets for combining with a 3080. I see no issues here. The small uplift PCIe 4 will probably bring will be outperformed by your faster CPU. Basically the 10700K will negate the PCIe 4 uplift from current AMD processors.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Probably even a good 650W PSU can easily handle your system. So i wouldn't be concerned about that. Of course, we don't know anything for certain and you can bet a lot of reviews are coming on launch day. So just wait for all the numbers and make an educated buying decision.

Ok perfect that's pretty much what I was looking for I appreciate the answers!

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

This OC won't give you much afaik. The stock clock speed can actually reach 5.1GHz. So you basically leave single-threaded performance on the table with this OC.

The reason I leave it at 5 instead of 5.1GHz is because cooling. Even though I have 3 intake fans in the front and a rear exhaust fan and a fantastic 240mm liquid cooler as exhaust at the top I still can reach temps of 70-75 while gaming + streaming.

image.thumb.png.25ea822d3b3dff382ff9622e59e919d8.png

Snapshot_20200902_6.JPG

Even though I have 3 intake fans in the front and a rear exhaust fan and a fantastic 240mm liquid cooler as exhaust at the top I still can reach temps of 70-75 while gaming + streaming.

with an overclock or not, 850w is more than enough for this system. 

Build Log: 

11 minutes ago, dreaminonlol said:

The reason I leave it at 5 instead of 5.1GHz is because cooling. Even though I have 3 intake fans in the front and a rear exhaust fan and a fantastic 240mm liquid cooler as exhaust at the top I still can reach temps of 70-75 while gaming + streaming.

Then i'd just leave out the OC completely. Like i said, you're basically increasing your temps while leaving performance on the table. The OC will only benefit you in core heavy workloads like blender etc. Plus you bring in the factor of instability to your system, which is not worth the hassle if you don't significantly gain performance imo.

Then i'd just leave out the OC completely. Like i said, you're basically increasing your temps while leaving performance on the table. The OC will only benefit you in core heavy workloads like blender etc. Plus you bring in the factor of instability to your system, which is not worth the hassle if you don't significantly gain performance imo.

I do get a bit of a fps gain when running on 5GHz.

5 minutes ago, dreaminonlol said:

I do get a bit of a fps gain when running on 5GHz.

Well, if it works for you it's fine i guess. Just saying i would personally just run at stock in this case and rather take the stability. On the other hand i can see the argument of why to bother with a K CPU and then run stock settings :D.

But all-in-all your system will work perfectly with a 3080.

Getting my 3080 as soon as i can get a waterblock for one! I plan to try my first custom loop when Ampere launches.

Have fun!

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Well, if it works for you it's fine i guess. Just saying i would personally just run at stock in this case and rather take the stability. On the other hand i can see the argument of why to bother with a K CPU and then run stock settings :D.

But all-in-all your system will work perfectly with a 3080.

Getting my 3080 as soon as i can get a waterblock for one! I plan to try my first custom loop when Ampere launches.

Have fun!

Yeah even though I was able to custom build my pc and figure everything out on my own I fear custom water cooling and the amount of effort you need to put into installing and maintenance but it would be nice to OC everything to max and have really good temps from it.

Just now, dreaminonlol said:

Yeah even though I was able to custom build my pc and figure everything out on my own I fear custom water cooling and the amount of effort you need to put into installing and maintenance but it would be nice to OC everything to max and have really good temps from it.

To start of i'll only do soft tubing. Just feels like there's a lot less that can go wrong.

The effort is not the big problem for me. Until now, the price just kept me away for the most part.

For my custom loop (all EKWB parts) i paid 450€, still excluding a GPU waterblock and the 150€ worth of noctua fans that i accumulated in the last few years. Ouch...

In terms of maintenance, most people seem to agree on cleaning your loop once a year, which basically means draining it, flushing it with destilled water and refilling with coolant. So not that much hassle.

My main reason to go watercooling is to have a silent PC, even with these new 320W GPUs. Of course the low temps and overclockability are nice bonuses aswell. Plus i just wanted to finally try it out.

To start of i'll only do soft tubing. Just feels like there's a lot less that can go wrong.

The effort is not the big problem for me. Until now, the price just kept me away for the most part.

For my custom loop (all EKWB parts) i paid 450€, still excluding a GPU waterblock and the 150€ worth of noctua fans that i accumulated in the last few years. Ouch...

In terms of maintenance, most people seem to agree on cleaning your loop once a year, which basically means draining it, flushing it with destilled water and refilling with coolant. So not that much hassle.

My main reason to go watercooling is to have a silent PC, even with these new 320W GPUs. Of course the low temps and overclockability are nice bonuses aswell. Plus i just wanted to finally try it out.

Yeah my pc is pretty close to me and it's decently loud but I also run a big fan behind me that's louder and with my headphones I don't really notice the noise especially if there is any sounds coming through them.

54 minutes ago, dreaminonlol said:

I've done as much research as I could to make sure my specs is compatible with the new Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3080 but I still just want confirmation and that I will be able to plug it in and use it when I get it.

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490 (PCIE 3.0 x16) < I recently bought and I'm a bit annoyed that for $400 it doesn't have PCIE 4.0 I just hope it doesn't reduce performance of the card.

Nobody can confirm it right now. Cards aren't out. Its highly likely, almost certain, but nobody has validated that exact configuration 

Just now, dreaminonlol said:

Yeah my pc is pretty close to me and it's decently loud but I also run a big fan behind me that's about as loud and with my headphones I don't really notice the noise especially if there is any sounds coming through.

Sound is less of an issue with most headsets. But as i have open-backed headphones i can hear every noise coming from my pc. I'm at a point where noctua fans at 1000RPM are just too loud and distracting for me. Planning to run 6 fans at ~600-700 RPM on my radiators.

one version of said card will draw 400 watts alone.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

• 4 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 3:18 AM, dreaminonlol said:

Hi!

Our specs are a bit similar, and I can assure you your PC will handle the Strix 3080 fine. I can monitor my PSU usage through the ICue software since it is an "i" model...I know it's not super precise but it never went above 530W. Besides that, my 3DMark scores are pretty much there with everyone else on the leaderboard.

20210127_124005.jpg

Monitor: ROG Swift PG278Q GSync 144Hz 27' 1440p

CPU: i7 9700K @5.0GHz 1.288V

GPU: ROG STRIX RTX 3080

Cooler: Corsair H115i

MDB: ROG STRIX Z390-E

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR4 @3400MHz

Case: Cooler Master C700P

Storage: 2x WD BLACK SN750 500GB | 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB | 1x Samsung EVO 256 GB

Mouse: Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum

Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum

Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Speed

PSU: Corsair RM850i 850W