NVMe + RTX 3080 on PCIe 3.0?

Marnex
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
Just now, Marnex said:

I have an MSI X470 Gaming pro carbon. Unsure how many PCIe lanes that has.

what CPU do you have? if it's a non APU (no G suffix at the end like 3200G), then you'll have 20 lanes, and 4 of them will go to the nvme drive, 16 to the GPU which is fine (read the manual for more info on which slot to use)

now the question is if pcie 3.0 x16 will limit the GPU, but that's something out of your control so i wouldnt worry too much about it.

Hi,

As I'm using PCIe 3.0 I'm wondering if having an NVMe SSD will bottleneck/hold back the new RTX 3080 as this uses PCIe 4.0.

Will there be any noticeable performance hit?

1 minute ago, Marnex said:

As I'm using PCIe 3.0 I'm wondering if having an NVMe SSD will bottleneck/hold back the new RTX 3080 as this uses PCIe 4.0.

Your SSD has nothing to do with the GPU, unless you're playing a game that supports RTX IO. At the moment, zero games support it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Your SSD has nothing to do with the GPU, unless you're playing a game that supports RTX IO. At the moment, zero games support it.

Might be an issue if OP only have 16 pcie lanes

His GPU will only get 8 lanes when he plugs in an SSD into his CPU lanes

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Might be an issue if OP only have 16 pcie lanes

His GPU will only get 8 lanes when he plugs in an SSD into his CPU lanes

Just now, Marnex said:

what CPU do you have? if it's a non APU (no G suffix at the end like 3200G), then you'll have 20 lanes, and 4 of them will go to the nvme drive, 16 to the GPU which is fine (read the manual for more info on which slot to use)

now the question is if pcie 3.0 x16 will limit the GPU, but that's something out of your control so i wouldnt worry too much about it.

1 minute ago, Marnex said:

Ryzen has 20 lanes, so you'll get full bandwidth on both the GPU and storage. Intel's mainstream platforms only have 16.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, Moonzy said:

Should be good then. Don't have an APU. I understand what you mean with the lanes. Thanks

3 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Ryzen has 20 lanes,

APU only gets 8 lanes or something, so it's not great

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

APU only gets 8 lanes or something, so it's not great

Makes sense, APUs don't exactly have fast graphics.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

Makes sense, APUs don't exactly have fast graphics.

no, I mean they make the pcie x16 slot work in x8 because 8 lanes is used for the internal GPU, though im not sure if it'll be x16 if the iGPU is disabled.

30 minutes ago, Marnex said:

If you're using an Intel cpu, there's 16 lanes for the GPU and the chipset provides lanes for the cpu. 

If it's an AMD cpu, there's dedicated lanes for an m.2 and for the GPU. So the m.2 shouldn't affect anything. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I am curious about this as well, but I have 2 M.2 SSDs and an 8700k, would I still be okay with an RTX 3080?

10 hours ago, WolfKnight said:

I am curious about this as well,

First, would recommend making your own thread. but to answer your question, it's the same thing. it'll be fine.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: