3070/3080 build - opinions?

Leontjuh
2 minutes ago, Leontjuh said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2tYL6R

This is what im planning on buying in combination with the 3070 or 3080. Opinions?

I think the Ripjaw 2x16gb 3600 mhz has better timings for same price

Maybe others can confirm  ?

850w PSU is overkill. And even if you went 850w, the Enermax Revolution D.F 850w is cheaper and better. There's also the NZXT C850 for a couple dollars more than the D.F. that uses the same platform as the Seasonic Focus.

If you want RGB RAM, the Trident Z is $7 cheaper and the Ripjaws 2x16 3600mhz CL16 is $1 cheaper than the Trident Z though no RGB.

Personally not a fan of the O11, but that's a personal preference and I'll leave it alone.

CPU cooler and motherboard are fine, great for overclocking purposes which I assume you are doing.

Personally would get 2TB SSD rather than 1TB SSD and 2TB HDD, but again, that's up to you and I won't touch it.

Honestly, just changing the RAM and PSU is the only thing I would do to your build.

7 minutes ago, Panoramix97 said:

I think the Ripjaw 2x16gb 3600 mhz has better timings for same price

Maybe others can confirm  ?

Cheaper actually, by $8 for 3600 CL16 vs 3600 CL18. That RGB though, though he can get the Trident Z RGB with the same timings for $7 less.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

1 minute ago, MrBrightSyde said:

850w PSU is overkill. And even if you went 850w, the Enermax Revolution D.F 850w is cheaper and better. There's also the NZXT C850 for a couple dollars more than the D.F. that uses the same platform as the Seasonic Focus.

If you want RGB RAM, the Trident Z is $7 cheaper and the Ripjaws 2x16 3600mhz CL16 is $1 cheaper than the Trident Z though no RGB.

Personally not a fan of the O11, but that's a personal preference and I'll leave it alone.

CPU cooler and motherboard are fine, great for overclocking purposes which I assume you are doing.

Personally would get 2TB SSD rather than 1TB SSD and 2TB HDD, but again, that's up to you and I won't touch it.

Honestly, just changing the RAM and PSU is the only thing I would do to your build.

Cheaper actually, by $8 for 3600 CL16 vs 3600 CL18. That RGB though, though he can get the Trident Z RGB with the same timings for $7 less.

so the ripjaw is better right ? I know no RGD tho....

Also, I don't think 850w is overkill ? The new RTX 3070 / 3080 nvidia recommands a 750w, 850w is like just a bit over, can't be overkill...

1 minute ago, Panoramix97 said:

so the ripjaw is better right ? I know no RGD tho....

Also, I don't think 850w is overkill ? The new RTX 3070 / 3080 nvidia recommands a 750w, 850w is like just a bit over, can't be overkill...

Yes Ripjaws better in performance.

Also, Nvidia always recommends more than what is actually needed. The 2080Ti was recommend to be used with a 650w PSU....you can run it with a 450w PSU with a 3950x. That's not to say use a 450w PSU, just don't overpay for something you don't need.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

don't get a 3080 or 3070 without RDNA2 being out

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Idk what you're doing with your PC. Depending on what you do, the 12 cores of the 3900X might not benefit you at all. If you're gaming only you're better off with a 10600K for slightly better or a 3600 for slightly worse performance. Either way the "downgrade" might be worth it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Idk what you're doing with your PC. Depending on what you do, the 12 cores of the 3900X might not benefit you at all. If you're gaming only you're better off with a 10600K for slightly better or a 3600 for slightly worse performance. Either way the "downgrade" might be worth it.

I believe some want to buy for long term and who knows maybe the multi cores can come more useful in the next 5-10 years ?

I think i'll indeed look into the ram, allthough I really want the RGB (= more fps) no but it just looks better to me. Should I get a 750W or 850W? And which branding is good? The budget for the PSU is around €100-€150.

23 minutes ago, Panoramix97 said:

I believe some want to buy for long term and who knows maybe the multi cores can come more useful in the next 5-10 years ?

So called "future-proofing" is a fools-errand. There is no way to tell if the extra cores will actually do anything in a few years. Currently games don't really scale much after 6c/12t. We can certainly expect they will scale better up to 8 cores due to the new consoles, but anything past that is pure speculation. It will be just as likely that you buy a 430$ 12-core processor now and you don't get any advantages from that in 5 years. I'd much rather pay only 290$ for a 10600K and get better performance now. Depending on what resolution and refresh rate is targeted maybe even a 3600 will perform exactly the same as a 3900X.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

32 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I'm planning on using it for gaming, streaming, beat-making, and video-editing (just YouTube video's, not graphic design or photo's!)

Just now, Stahlmann98 said:

So called "future-proofing" is a fools-errand. There is no way to tell if the extra cores will actually do anything in a few years. Currently games don't really scale much after 6c/12t. Wen can certainly expect they will scape better up to 8 cores due to the new consoles, but anything past that is pure speculation. It will be just as likely that you buy a 430$ now and you don't get any advantages from that in 5 years. I'd much rather pay only 290$ for a 10600K and get better performance now. Depending on what resolution and refresh rate is targeted maybe even a 3600 will perform exactly the same as a 3900X.

Yeah but if I'm planning on selling the thing after a couple of years, people would be far more interested in a r9 3900x instead of a outdated 10600k or 3600😅

1 minute ago, Leontjuh said:

I'm planning on using it for gaming, streaming, beat-making, and video-editing (just YouTube video's, not graphic design or photo's!)

Target resolution and refresh rate?

Just now, Leontjuh said:

Yeah but if I'm planning on selling the thing after a couple of years, people would be far more interested in a r9 3900x instead of a outdated 10600k or 3600😅

The 10600K is newer and 3600 istjust as new as a 3900.

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

The 10600K is newer and 3600 istjust as new as a 3900.

Yeah but 3900x will be a better choice for the future. Imagine buying this pc in about 5 years, everyone is gonna want the extra cores. Not the "outdated" 3600 that cant keep up with the new games

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Target resolution and refresh rate?

Target resulation 1440p 240hz (Samsung Oddysey G7 27'

Just now, Leontjuh said:

Yeah but 3900x will be a better choice for the future. Imagine buying this pc in about 5 years, everyone is gonna want the extra cores. Not the "outdated" 3600 that cant keep up with the new games

It's your choice if you want to spend the money. I just called out the fact that the 10600K is a better gaming CPU, likely even for the next few years. And the 3600 is a roughly equal performer for a lot less money. I was just giving you a recommendation.

1 minute ago, Leontjuh said:

Target resulation 1440p 240hz (Samsung Oddysey G7 27'

Especially for 240Hz you will gain more by going with Intel. Maybe this will change when Ryzen 4000 desktop CPUs are out.

As for the monitor: I really hope you cas still return it. I had a very bad experience with this particular monitor and after searching for solutions of my problems on google i found out these are wide spread issues. And Samsung doesn't seem to care to solve the problems.

32 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

It's your choice if you want to spend the money. I just called out the fact that the 10600K is a better gaming CPU, likely even for the next few years. And the 3600 is a roughly equal performer for a lot less money. I was just giving you a recommendation.

Especially for 240Hz you will gain more by going with Intel. Maybe this will change when Ryzen 4000 desktop CPUs are out.

As for the monitor: I really hope you cas still return it. I had a very bad experience with this particular monitor and after searching for solutions of my problems on google i found out these are wide spread issues. And Samsung doesn't seem to care to solve the problems.

Thank you for your recommandations, Ill surely look into it. I haven't bought the Oddysey YET. But I heard they are updating drivers and stuf.. It also seemed like the "flickering problem" was bigger on the 32' am I right? And if its not getting fixed, which monitor for around the same price branche do you recommend?

34 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

And which one is better, the i9 9900k or r9 3900x?

Just now, Leontjuh said:

Thank you for your recommandations, Ill surely look into it. I haven't bought the Oddysey YET. But I heard they are updating drivers and stuf.. It also seemed like the "flickering problem" was bigger on the 32' am I right? And if its not getting fixed, which monitor for around the same price branche do you recommend?

They had several driver/firmware updates but never fixed it. They also say it's a problem for NVIDIA to solve, which it isn't. Thats why i've come to the conclusion that they won't fix it and sent it back for a refund. Also mind the extreme curve. The LG 27GN850 which i use now is better in any way, the difference with the 144Hz refresh rate on the LG compared to the 240Hz on the G7 was completely not noticeable to me.

4 minutes ago, Leontjuh said:

And which one is better, the i9 9900k or r9 3900x?

Out of these 2? For gaming the 9900K, for most productivity tasks the 3900X.

If you're going for the 9900K, also have a look at the 10700K, which is also a 8 core CPU. Only newer and at a lower price point. Performs exactly the same as the 9900K.