When will graphics cards get so good nobody upgrades

Pc6777

I feel in the next 10 maybe 20 years, graphics cards and graphcis will get so good that there will never be a next big thing, and people will only buy them if they are a thing anymore, when they break not when they are too weak or obsolete beacause graphics won't have any room to improve. You can only ray trace so many beams of light and have so many polygons and have so many frames or pixels before it matters anymore. Are there going to be special glasses so you can see better so your eyes aren't the bottleneck on future graphics? Lol. At this rate if and and Nvidia don't purposely hold back, 360 hz 8k with way more ray tracing effects will be possible in the next 12 years easy, at that point can it really get any better? Ray tracing is nice and I like it it's not a gimmick it really does improve graphics, but I feel like it's a sign that graphics are getting close to the ceiling and once they get so good more pixels or anything won't make the image look better and it will be a wash.

With VR on the table it will be a very long time before devs can't take advantage of more graphics processing power

5 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

I feel in the next 10 maybe 20 years, graphics cards and graphcis will get so good that there will never be a next big thing, and people will only buy them if they are a thing anymore, when they break not when they are too weak or obsolete beacause graphics won't have any room to improve. You can only ray trace so many beams of light and have so many polygons and have so many frames or pixels before it matters anymore. Are there going to be special glasses so you can see better so your eyes aren't the bottleneck on future graphics? Lol. At this rate if amd and Nvidia don't purposely hold back, 360 hz 8k with way more ray tracing effects will be possible in the next 12 years easy, at that point can it really get any better? Ray tracing is nice and I like it, it's not a gimmick it really does improve graphics, but I feel like it's a sign that graphics are getting close to the ceiling and once they get so good more pixels or anything won't make the image look better and it will be a wash. There is a way bigger difference between graphics from 2001 to 2011(Skyrim)than 2011 graphics to now so returns and advancements are halting like anything else. Yes the new cards are graphics are better and more powerful so what.

I tried to edit but quoted instead disregard this lol.

"get so good" no

hit a technological roadblock like intel, maybe

but they'll find a way to make you buy their stuff

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

I feel in the next 10 maybe 20 years, graphics cards and graphcis will get so good that there will never be a next big thing, and people will only buy them if they are a thing anymore, when they break not when they are too weak or obsolete beacause graphics won't have any room to improve. You can only ray trace so many beams of light and have so many polygons and have so many frames or pixels before it matters anymore. Are there going to be special glasses so you can see better so your eyes aren't the bottleneck on future graphics? Lol. At this rate if and and Nvidia don't purposely hold back, 360 hz 8k with way more ray tracing effects will be possible in the next 12 years easy, at that point can it really get any better? Ray tracing is nice and I like it it's not a gimmick it really does improve graphics, but I feel like it's a sign that graphics are getting close to the ceiling and once they get so good more pixels or anything won't make the image look better and it will be a wash.

You never know what the future has in store for us. 

1 minute ago, Kraken_05 said:

You never know what the future has in store for us. 

For now more ray tracing, what could come after that? 

1 minute ago, Pc6777 said:

With VR we’ll just want more and more power to make it more lifelike. 

4 minutes ago, Strider1974 said:

With VR on the table it will be a very long time before devs can't take advantage of more graphics processing power

I would probably not ever buy a be headset or use one maybe try it out that's it, and it did very poorly despite all the hype, people like screens and not being immirsed like that, for now at least.

A few years back, no one would have even thought about ray-tracing in games.

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

"get so good" no

hit a technological roadblock like intel, maybe

but they'll find a way to make you buy their stuff

There's not really a technological roadblock right now, gpus are advancing a lot, it's just if graphics get so good they can't get better or at least noticbky better more power won't help.

Just now, Pc6777 said:

There's not really a technological roadblock right now, gpus are advancing a lot, it's just if graphics get so good they can't get better or at least noticbky better more power won't help.

there's always more to do

until we get lifelike models, i dont think it'll be enough

even after we achieve lifelike models, we'll probably want more

it would be hard to imagine what future human with much advanced technology would want with our limited knowledge today

20 years ago smartphone wasnt a thing, look now.

human nature is to always want something more, that's why upgrading a PC part never felt satisfactory, and you keep craving more

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

After 10 years you'll be laugh at quality of todays games, even if now you think they're perfect. No, it's still possible to improve graphics a lot - you can compare how real world looks like and how it looks in games. It's still long way to made it perfect. New game engines will require new, more powerful cards. New monitors with higher framerate needs more power. And now you barely can achieve 60fps @8K when you're using 3090 card (at least in theory - is not released yet). So better graphics (more natural) and 8K 144Hz is still something that will require more power that computers can deliver now. And don't worry - programmers will always find a way to made things more complicated (and complex). :)

When ray tracing really matures I don't know what they will do to make people exited for the next big thing, maybe Nvidia already knows what it is and is working on it but when ray tracing really gets good I can see how games would look better besides be which I don't like, in my opinion graphics already look better than real life.

When ray tracing really matures I don't know what they will do to make people exited for the next big thing, maybe Nvidia already knows what it is and is working on it but when ray tracing really gets good I can see how games would look better besides be which I don't like, in my opinion graphics already look better than real life.

You are thinking in terms of today's technology, that is why you have so many questions. Just be ready for surprises.

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

After 10 years you'll be laugh at quality of todays games, even if now you think they're perfect. No, it's still possible to improve graphics a lot - you can compare how real world looks like and how it looks in games. It's still long way to made it perfect. New game engines will require new, more powerful cards. New monitors with higher framerate needs more power. And now you barely can achieve 60fps @8K when you're using 3090 card (at least in theory - is not released yet). So better graphics (more natural) and 8K 144Hz is still something that will require more power that computers can deliver now. And don't worry - programmers will always find a way to made things more complicated (and complex). :)

I still think Skyrim from 2011 at ultra settings 1080p looks fine, not as good as new stuff but it's adequate and dosnt look retro to me at all, maybe something huge is coming and there will be another 2000-2011 type improment with matured ray tracing who knows.

there will be another 2000-2011 type improment with matured ray tracing who knows.

Today it is ray tracing, tomorrow who knows what?

1 minute ago, Kraken_05 said:

You are thinking in terms of today's technology, that is why you have so many questions. Just be ready for surprises.

True, I'm more excited about larger in depth open world RPGs with more realistic characters that don't constantly repeat the same audio file tbh 

Just now, Kraken_05 said:

Today it is ray tracing, tomorrow who knows what?

Tommorow is matured ray tracing that will be night and day 

56 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

I would probably not ever buy a be headset or use one maybe try it out that's it, and it did very poorly despite all the hype, people like screens and not being immirsed like that, for now at least.

Yes VR has a long way to, graphical processing power will be a big part of that