Motherboards are confusing. Just need help considering which one.

Go to solution Solved by Haro,
Just now, Snowmnason said:

trying ti learn everything again and trying to find a lot of opinions!

But thank you that does help a lot!!

Yea definitely wait and check. 

For the most part, every board I suggested is around 200 bucks and can handle even the 3950x easily. 

Those overkill boards try to do everything and as mentioned above, their vrm is absolutely overkill. 

so I was looking at the teir list at the top of the form and at least got three great options for what motherboard I should get. But I still have no idea what I should get

Asus: X570 Crosshair VIII Hero

Gigabyte: X570 Aorus Xtreme

MSI: X570 Godlike

I was comparing them on new egg and newegg has a terrible system for comparing specs.

They all seem to have more or less the same stuff. But which is better for a novice (I don't do anythinh fancy in bios normally might with this build) 

I don't plan on over clocking I don't need all the fancy wifi cards are built in graphics (been using a lan connection for 7 years don't plan on changing that)

If I could ask for a little insight on which manufacturer or board would be better for the new Zen 3 chips. 

Thank you!

What processor will you use?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

14 minutes ago, Kanna said:

What processor will you use?

Yup, very important.

And also look up some reviews on youtube, most of the time they will show the distinctive features setting one apart from another.
Just know there are biased reviewers out there. ;)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

chances are you wont need much more than a budget x570 thats a fraction of the cost of these flagship boards. you might not even x570, a budget b550 could be sufficient. since you don't plan on overclocking an a520 could be all you really need. the tier list is mostly based on enthusiast features like vrm quality, memory overclocking performance, and that sorta thing. id check out some budget mobo lineups and see if boards in the <$200 range appeal to you and have the features youre looking for. if youre set on x570 the asus tuf x570 or msi gaming plus x570 are great all-around boards with nice price tags.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

40 minutes ago, Snowmnason said:

If I could ask for a little insight on which manufacturer or board would be better for the new Zen 3 chips.

I dont think those are out yet, if Zen2 is any indication board that support the one wont support the other or wait for newer boards that can support both.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

I dont think those are out yet, if Zen2 is any indication board that support the one wont support the other or wait for newer boards that can support both.

They aren't out. I just want to plan ahead since they should be coming out later this month. And I can't find any site that talks about a new set of boards that will be coming out so I might be stuck with these since I desperately want an upgrade lol.

But I must ask. Support for what? The newer chips?

2 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Yup, very important.

And also look up some reviews on youtube, most of the time they will show the distinctive features setting one apart from another.
Just know there are biased reviewers out there. ;)

I have no idea what chip I will use. I want to wait till the release of the new chips lol. So I thought just some suggestions on what makes a board better over another instead of a review would be much more helpful. But I will keep browsing and reading :)

3 hours ago, Snowmnason said:

X570 Crosshair VIII Hero

Unless you're into heavy overclocking and ln2. Don't consider it. 

X570 Aorus Xtreme

It's an XDPE132G5C and 14 TDA21472'S. 

X570 Godlike

If I recall correctly, IR35201 and 6 TDA21472's doubled. But I could be wrong on that one. 

7 minutes ago, Snowmnason said:

want to wait till the release of the new chips lol.

Wait for zen 3 first then and then decide which board you want to get. 

All of these boards are overkill in pretty much every way. 

And you could just consider a normal casual consumer board that's also decent. 

As for b550, the tomahawk and the mortar and the aorus pro and the steel legend and the a pro are pretty good. 

And as for x570, the tomahawk and the tuf are pretty good. 

2 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

gaming plus x570

One of the crappiest x570 boards that you can get. 

It's pretty shit sadly. 

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

chances are you wont need much more than a budget x570 thats a fraction of the cost of these flagship boards. you might not even x570, a budget b550 could be sufficient. since you don't plan on overclocking an a520 could be all you really need. the tier list is mostly based on enthusiast features like vrm quality, memory overclocking performance, and that sorta thing. id check out some budget mobo lineups and see if boards in the <$200 range appeal to you and have the features youre looking for. if youre set on x570 the asus tuf x570 or msi gaming plus x570 are great all-around boards with nice price tags.

Well I am looking for a build that could last me a couple of years. Because normally I skip a gen or two.

And I never overclocked because my current build was just made to play vr and games like league so I never needed too.

But now I am getting it to 4k video editing and 3d rending as a hobby (hopefully a profession soon) so I might need to in the future! So I don't mind spending an extra couple of bucks if its worth the price in proformence so I can get a lot more out if it in time and use.

But I will definitely look at your suggestions and consider something a little more budget friendly because I don't exactly understand why an expensive board is better (like I never was able to maintain the thickness and vrm and the specifics do exactly to a board)

Thank you

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Unless you're into heavy overclocking and ln2. Don't consider it. 

It's an XDPE132G5C and 14 TDA21472'S. 

If I recall correctly, IR35201 and 6 TDA21472's doubled. But I could be wrong on that one. 

Wait for zen 3 first then and then decide which board you want to get. 

All of these boards are overkill in pretty much every way. 

And you could just consider a normal casual consumer board that's also decent. 

As for b550, the tomahawk and the mortar and the aorus pro and the steel legend and the a pro are pretty good. 

And as for x570, the tomahawk and the tuf are pretty good. 

I wouldn't really consider my self "casual consumer" I could be wrong though.

I am no enthusiastic hence my blowing up this site with silly questions.

But I am going in to some demanding things for a pc with video editing and everything so I want something that wouldn't prevent me from doing something in the future (future proofing baby!!) But if it is over kill then I might be over thinking my abilities.

And yeah I am definitely going to wait till the drop and see what people say and do woth the chips first. I just excited (finally upgrade in like 6 years) trying ti learn everything again and trying to find a lot of opinions!

Just now, Snowmnason said:

trying ti learn everything again and trying to find a lot of opinions!

Yea definitely wait and check. 

For the most part, every board I suggested is around 200 bucks and can handle even the 3950x easily. 

Those overkill boards try to do everything and as mentioned above, their vrm is absolutely overkill. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

2 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

One of the crappiest x570 boards that you can get. 

It's pretty shit sadly.

for one of the cheapest x570s on the market id say its a fine choice, it should be capable of running any zen 2 at stock clocks. with the tuf always OOS the gaming plus could be a great alternative. i plan on using one for my buddy's budget build and it seems capable enough

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

7 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

should be capable of running any zen 2 at stock clocks

No, this board does throttle a stock 3900x. 

Heck something like a b450 tomahawk max is a better choice than this.  

Build Log: 

10 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

No, this board does throttle a stock 3900x. 

Heck something like a b450 tomahawk max is a better choice than this.  

with a deeper dive into researching the vrms on this board it seems that a stock 3900x is within reasonable limits, but its a bit close and overclocking it will throttle. the toms hardware revisit of the gaming plus with a 3900x rather than their usual 3700x showed as such. so the cheap asus boards are better choices now that it seems that theyre around the same price as the gaming plus, but it's not extraordinarily bad for one of the cheapest boards. the tuf is just really damn good lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler