Should I replace the PSU or the case?

Zelenia

Hey,

I'm planning to upgrade my GPU in 6-8 months or so depending on if I can get my hands on used RTX 2080 Super (or new RTX 3070). There is just one major problem with that:

Space.thumb.png.6530c239706c441d0fe175608c5d3821.png

There isn't space for long GPU in this case because of depth of the PSU.

My choices here are either a) get a new PSU or b) buy new matx case. 

New PSU would cost more but there is some lower profile PSU (like Seasonic 750W FOCUS GX-750) that would make it possible to fit long GPUs in here.

New case would be a cheaper option but that would be lot more work (most matx cases out there have issues with airflow). I've already spent lots of time to get a decent airflow with this case.

What would you do? I want to get rid of this GPU either way because I'm not happy with it.

Gaming PC

MBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX           CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3060ti TUF OC 8GB,        RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz,

Storage: Samsung SSD 980 1TB  &   WD Blue 1 TB SSD

PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)       Case: Kolink Citadel Mesh Matx     Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm

I would probably get a new PSU, if your happy with your current case than get a new PSU and you can sell your current one for some money towards the new one

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

On 9/5/2020 at 1:09 PM, WY6 said:

I would probably get a new PSU, if your happy with your current case than get a new PSU and you can sell your current one for some money towards the new one

Hey, thanks for the reply. A new PSU would be easier route for me.

But yeah I'm not sure if I'll manage to find one small enough in this current world situation. 

So yeah, I might have to find a new case after all. :D

//edit.

"Corsair 750W SF750" could fit more than perfect in this case, tho it's also 164€ brand new with quite short cables. Well at least there exists some "matx" PSU out there. Well maybe I can get some money back from my current PSU.

Gaming PC

MBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX           CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3060ti TUF OC 8GB,        RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz,

PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)       Case: Kolink Citadel Mesh Matx     Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm

• 4 weeks later...

Just little update to this topic. I did end up buying a new case instead of PSU to save money. I like my current PSU and it probably can support RTX 2080 Super/RTX 3070 in the future.

Kolink Citadel Mesh

I'm gonna get the case probably end of the week and then I'll start moving my current build into this one... I'm slightly scared though, to be honest. :D

Is it safe to move the motherboard with the GPU attached to it to new case? CPU, RAM and CPU cooler can stay I suppose because they are all low profile. I've never seated or unseated a GPU before. How tight the screws should be on the motherboard?

Thank you if someone notices this. 

Gaming PC

Just last update to this topic. I got the case yesterday and started working on it in the evening.

It took 6 hours to move all the parts to the new case... and PC is still working! I didn't break anything! ☺️

I had to dismount the GPU before I was able to take the motherboard out of the case because some of the support screws were under it. I'm surprised that disconnecting and connecting cables to motherboard wasn't so bad. The hardest part was actually connecting the front panel connectors.

Gaming PC