New Ryzen 5 3600 dead or am I missing something?

Go to solution Solved by Hairless Monkey Boy,
2 minutes ago, Emperor_Crimson said:

Seasonic or Be Quiet!

Seasonic and Be quiet both have some great power supplies, and they both have some terrible power supplies. Never recommend power supplies (or really anything) based on brand alone. Check out the PSU tier list if you have not seen it.

Even within "Corsair CX 650" some are trash and others are great.

Hello 
This is going to be a super long post so please bear with me. 
Recently I upgraded from a Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 5 3600 as my motherboard was the MSI B450 gaming plus, I upgraded the bios before swapping out the 1600 for the 3600. 
On first try the system refused to boot in dual channel so I tried single channel with only one stick of ram and it posted, the moment I got into the windows OS with single channel memory my pc shut off power completely. I tried to boot again and crashed exactly at the windows sign in screen again. 
Thus thinking it to be a cpu problem I decided to swap back my 1600 just to make sure. Strangely enough PC refused to boot this time with the CPU ez debug led solid red. 
Swapping back to the 3600 now the system refused to boot even in single channel with the motherboard lighting the ez debug DRAM led solid red. 

From then on whatever I've tried the system keeps giving me the DRAM led and refuses to post. Can't even get into the bios. 

Things that I've tried : 
1. Tried each stick in each DIMM slot, also tried various combinations but system refuses to boot with dram led on
2. Clearing CMOS through the battery removal process and the jumper process 
3. Updating bios again through the msi bios flashback method
4. Tried both the RAMs on a seperate (INTEL) system and they worked normally
5. Changed my motherboard for the MSI B450 gaming pro carbon max wifi (which comes with ryzen 3rd gen ready out of the box) 
6. Breadboarding the whole system to eliminate any shorts being caused in the case 
7. Tried using an AIO and the ryzen stock cooler on the 3600
8. Disconnected all extra peripherals and tried to boot with just the CPU and GPU.

Nothing worked and everytime the system lit up the DRAM led solid red and did not post. Could not get into the bios

I haven't yet tried a different PSU or haven't tried to RMA my 3600 yet. 
Is it my PSU or is the CPU to blame?

So I'd be super super glad if someone here could help me with this problem which has been driving me crazy. 

My complete system specs :
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (upgraded from Ryzen 5 1600)
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon Max  (changed from msi B450 gaming plus)
16 GB (8x2) of Corsair vengeance LPX 3000Mhz (CMK8GX4M1D3000C16)
RTX 2070 
Corsair CX 650

check the socket?

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

Im no expert, but that power supply isn't particularly well known for its reliability. While it may not solve the issue, I would take your core system components into a Microcenter or somewhere to have them tested on a different power supply. If you are considering buying a new power supply, I highly recommend either Seasonic or Be Quiet! models. As a reminder, be sure to try the original bios the board shipped with on the 1600 and run stress tests while you're at it to ensure component stability. 

(Edit: always buy 80+ Bronze or above power supplies, you dont want to mess with white labels)

Hope it helps! 😁

1 minute ago, eeeee1 said:

check the socket?

I did. I checked and reseated the CPU atleast 10 times now there are no bent or discoloured pins. Everything looks fine

Just now, Emperor_Crimson said:

Im no expert, but that power supply isn't particularly well known for its reliability. While it may not solve the issue, I would take your core system components into a Microcenter or somewhere to have them tested on a different power supply. If you are considering buying a new power supply, I highly recommend either Seasonic or Be Quiet! models. As a reminder, be sure to try the original bios the board shipped with on the 1600 and run stress tests while you're at it to ensure component stability. 

Hope it helps! 😁

I am from India so no Microcenters around here. :( (Really wish they were available here)

I'll still try and take it into a store to get it tested then.

And yes once this problem goes away that PSU is going too, no more cheaping out.

4 minutes ago, StrideRwasTaken said:

I am from India so no Microcenters around here. :( (Really wish they were available here)

I'll still try and take it into a store to get it tested then.

And yes once this problem goes away that PSU is going too, no more cheaping out.

No problem man! 

Even here in the US, I dont have any Microcenters in my area, so I feel your pain man 😬. From experience, I had an EVGA 600w white label power supply that (quite literally) blew up while running Goat Simulator on an overclocked i5 (lol). I also had numerous instances of my system not booting whatsoever with that power supply no matter what I did. As soon as I swapped out that PSU for a Be Quiet! 850w 80+ Platinum unit, I have had smooth sailing since 😁. Moral of the story: never cheap out on power supplies, the heart of your system should always run clean and efficiently.

Seasonic or Be Quiet!

Seasonic and Be quiet both have some great power supplies, and they both have some terrible power supplies. Never recommend power supplies (or really anything) based on brand alone. Check out the PSU tier list if you have not seen it.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Just now, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

I agree. I recommended them based on their reputation for reliability of their more popular models (gold and above) Brand name alone does not necessitate quality or reliability (OP's Corsair unit, for example). The PSU tier list is an excellent source for solid information on power supply quality.

And thanks for putting up a link to the tier list man 😁

Im no expert, but that power supply isn't particularly well known for its reliability.

Gray label CX650s are solid. More recent gray label CX650s from within the last couple of years are actually very nice. If it's got a green label...yeah. Bad times.

@StrideRwasTaken, there is a glitch with a few Ryzen 3000 CPUs that I personally encountered while being pwn3d by a 3600 (sound familiar?) which causes your board to randomly power down then turn back on. That's not what you're seeing, but it's worth mentioning.

Have you checked your CPU for bent or broken pins? Your socket may be obstructed, maybe even by a piece of the CPU itself. Also check the socket itself for thermal paste, debris, anything that might be causing an issue. It's not coincidental that this happened immediately following a CPU swap.

If the 3600 and the 1600 are both physically unharmed, your motherboard is almost assuredly toast. All the same, before replacing it, I'd see if there's another compatible board out there you can test it on. I'd return the CPU either way given what it's been through, but it's worth testing it out on another board if you can. Even if the CPU is dead, the odds of it taking the whole board with it are low.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 minutes ago, Emperor_Crimson said:

No problem man! 

Even here in the US, I dont have any Microcenters in my area, so I feel your pain man 😬. From experience, I had an EVGA 600w white label power supply that (quite literally) blew up while running Goat Simulator on an overclocked i5 (lol). I also had numerous instances of my system not bootting whatsoever with that power supply no matter what I did. As soon as I swapped out that PSU for a Be Quiet! 850w 80+ Platinum unit, I have had smooth sailing since 😁. Moral of the story: never cheap out on power supplies, the heart of your system should always run clean and efficiently.

Yep. It's definitely not worth the headache to go with a cheap PSU. I'll be looking into the be quiet or seasonic models. Will also update once I get everything tested at the store. 

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Gray label CX650s are solid. More recent gray label CX650s from within the last couple of years are actually very nice. If it's got a green label...yeah. Bad times.

@StrideRwasTaken, there is a glitch with a few Ryzen 3000 CPUs that I personally encountered while being pwn3d by a 3600 (sound familiar?) which causes your board to randomly power down then turn back on. That's not what you're seeing, but it's worth mentioning.

Have you checked your CPU for bent or broken pins? Your socket may be obstructed, maybe even by a piece of the CPU itself. Also check the socket itself for thermal paste, debris, anything that might be causing an issue. It's not coincidental that this happened immediately following a CPU swap.

If the 3600 and the 1600 are both physically unharmed, your motherboard is almost assuredly toast. All the same, before replacing it, I'd see if there's another compatible board out there you can test it on. I'd return the CPU either way given what it's been through, but it's worth testing it out on another board if you can. Even if the CPU is dead, the odds of it taking the whole board with it are low.

I checked and reseated the cpu atleast 10 times by now(lol) there are no bent, broken or discoloured pins. Everything looks fine. 

Suspecting the motherboard I also tried the CPU on a brand new motherboard which had a Ryzen 3rd gen compatible bios out of the box but it led to the same dram error which led me to believe it is the CPU after all. 

Could a malfunctioning memory controller inside the chip be causing these issues?

15 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

Thanks I'll look into that tier list :D

19 minutes ago, StrideRwasTaken said:

I checked and reseated the cpu atleast 10 times by now(lol) there are no bent, broken or discoloured pins. Everything looks fine. 

Suspecting the motherboard I also tried the CPU on a brand new motherboard which had a Ryzen 3rd gen compatible bios out of the box but it led to the same dram error which led me to believe it is the CPU after all. 

Could a malfunctioning memory controller inside the chip be causing these issues?

If it's dead across multiple motherboards, the CPU dying is a good bet. Have you tried your old 1600 on a different board?

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If it's dead across multiple motherboards, the CPU dying is a good bet. Have you tried your old 1600 on a different board?

Didn't try that yet. 

Yeah was planning to play it safe and get the 3600 RMA ed as it's just a week old.

4 minutes ago, StrideRwasTaken said:

Didn't try that yet. 

Yeah was planning to play it safe and get the 3600 RMA ed as it's just a week old.

Yes, do that.

8 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Yes, do that.

I was just going to fill in the RMA form for the CPU when a friend of mine suggest that I try a known good power supply first. 

Is there any probability that a bad PSU will be causing these issues? As that is the only part of the build I haven't swapped out or checked. 

6 hours ago, StrideRwasTaken said:

I was just going to fill in the RMA form for the CPU when a friend of mine suggest that I try a known good power supply first. 

Is there any probability that a bad PSU will be causing these issues? As that is the only part of the build I haven't swapped out or checked. 

Yes, it is. I’d still return or RMA the CPU and mobo if you can anyway, but testing another PSU couldn’t hurt.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Yes, it is. I’d still return or RMA the CPU and mobo if you can anyway, but testing another PSU couldn’t hurt.

Okay I'll be testing another PSU tomorrow. I decided to bite the bullet and go for the Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 watts 80+ gold. That'll be fine I hope. (Just wanted to change the CX out anyway) 

I'll be updating here once I test. 

Thanks for helping me with this. :)

• 5 months later...

Can you tell me a bit more ab out this glitch. I just had a 3600 allegedly die on me yesterday, I was web browsing when the whole system suddenly went dark. I tried to boot it up but the CPU fan only ran for a while then stopped, then a while later started running again then stopped. And it just kept repeating. I brought the system to a PC repair shop for troubleshooting and the guy there told me my 3600 is shot. He swapped out mine with his own 3600 and the system booted just fine. I've been using this processor almost a year without any issues and the processor looks fine visually. It's a shame I can't RMA cause I've lost the receipt.

On 9/4/2020 at 4:24 AM, aisle9 said:

1 hour ago, kimson said:

Can you tell me a bit more ab out this glitch. I just had a 3600 allegedly die on me yesterday, I was web browsing when the whole system suddenly went dark. I tried to boot it up but the CPU fan only ran for a while then stopped, then a while later started running again then stopped. And it just kept repeating. I brought the system to a PC repair shop for troubleshooting and the guy there told me my 3600 is shot. He swapped out mine with his own 3600 and the system booted just fine. I've been using this processor almost a year without any issues and the processor looks fine visually. It's a shame I can't RMA cause I've lost the receipt.

Same thing that happened to me. I never could figure it out, and I didn’t care enough to because I was still in the return window.

• 1 year later...

this guy personally ran into 3 different 3600/3600x CPU that died