Network Extension/Repeating Setup

codrx

I wanted to see if i could get some information about proper procedure when it comes to network repeating setups. I'm currently in the process of extending my networking to a new part of the house, which is gonna add a significant length of copper to my setup. My current setup is as follows: ISP Router > TP Link 100mbps switch > wireless router and computer. What I wanted to know was:

At what point would I need to repeat my copper signal to maintain maximum speeds?

If I needed to repeat the signal, does a router/switch act as a repeater or does that require special equipment?

Thanks for helping out!

It depends what kinds of distances you're talking about?  Since the router is only connected to a 100Mbps switch, you wouldn't need any active cables for your network.  Cat6 can do gigabit to about 100m IIRC.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

1 hour ago, codrx said:

does a router/switch act as a repeater or does that require special equipment?

Unless your going greater than 100m then you dont have any need to repeat the signal. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Samfisher said:

It depends what kinds of distances you're talking about?  Since the router is only connected to a 100Mbps switch, you wouldn't need any active cables for your network.  Cat6 can do gigabit to about 100m IIRC.

So to be sure, if I go 100m (i have CAT6), only then would I need to repeat the signal, correct?

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Unless your going greater than 100m then you dont have any need to repeat the signal. 

I think i might be, my runs are super inconvenient. Presuming I did, what could I do to repeat the signal?

3 hours ago, codrx said:

I think i might be, my runs are super inconvenient. Presuming I did, what could I do to repeat the signal?

First of all, if you have the ability to run ethernet, you don't want to "repeat the signal". WiFi repeaters/boosters/extenders work at half-duplex speed because of the very nature of their design and are not worth it if you're concerned about speed and reliability... Unless, perhaps, this is the ONLY option and you're willing to live with the shortcomings.

Stick to the simple and straight-forward setup:

Modem/gateway --> Primary router --> Wireless access point or gigabit switch (location A)
			|
			|
			V
			Wireless access point or gigabit switch (location B)

Personally if I needed to make a run over 100m I'd go strait to fiber optics/media converters. I wouldn't bother with signal boosters/repeaters.

But as others have said the standard is set at 100m (328ft) if you want Gigabit over Cat5e/Cat6. Going beyond that you risk running into signal degradation and packet loss.