Looking for new phone, how's the Xperia 10?

Mark Kaine

I'm currently leaning towards the pixel 4a ,  but I was just at some stores and I like the Xperia 10 very much (it's not too big,  and I have a Xperia z3 compact  so I'm used to Sony phones and that's another plus,  unless they changed the UI a lot) 

But I know nothing about the 10, are there any downsides for every day usage,  storage, camera, battery life, does it run hot,(I know some older Sony phones ran ridiculously hot) etc?

It's only €200 so I'm wondering what's wrong with it?? 

If it's an "ok" phone I'd really consider it tho. 

PS: I really don't care if it's an older phone, as long it was ok / good at the time of release, most apps I use are old, and I mostly use my phone to surf the internet... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Nah.. SD630 is 2 years old, no longer good for new phones.

Chinese midranger have better specs than that phone at the same price points.

With bigger batteries and better cameras.

Sony been a sideline player for the last 5 years.

2000mah is so small by todays standard.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Well idk much about those cheapo phone processors,  but as long it's A) better than what's in my Z3 and B) doesn't run hot during light tasks,  it's more than fine for me. 

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

2000mah is so small by todays standard.

That really seems small, yeah. That's something that's relevant for me for sure - still it's really cheap,  maybe I just order it for "testing"... 🤭

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, EL02 said:

What's your budget?

€200-350

It's unfortunately really not easy for me to find a new good phone though (although pixel 4a seems really nice, outside the fact you can't use a SD card, but it's not available here yet and I actually need a new phone literally asap,  though I just might wait for the 4a) since I have some criterias that *must* be fulfilled 

- Small is good, around  5 inch screen or smaller preferably 

- Must have 3.5 headphone jack 

- the more stock Android the better 

- Must have Google Play Store 

- Good battery,  good camera (not "the best" but good) 

- Good build quality 

- Good screen (preferably 1080p, 16:9)

- IPS preferably,  otherwise an oversaturated OLED will be acceptable too,  I guess. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

@EL02

You got anything?  I'm really out of the loop... 

But looking around a bit,  I think I know why,  modern phones are trash,  finger sensor,  face unlock,  nonsensical screen ratios, no headphone jack... 

But the problem is I need a phone, I don't really feel like repairing my old one,  the battery isn't that great either anymore after...  6 or so years... 

(it was until recently though) 

So yeah,  probably best to wait for the 4a?

Unless you got something...   🙂

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

There really isn't any good phone under 6" and with close to stock os.

The OP Nord lacks the headphone jack.

The pixel isnt available, but is the safest bet.

The xiaomi mi a3 comes with stock android but the screen is way too saturated, and 720p amoled.

What I would suggest is the Xiaomi mi 10 lite, but yeah...the choices are really limited.

Just now, EL02 said:

There really isn't any good phone under 6" and with close to stock os.

The OP Nord lacks the headphone jack.

The pixel isnt available, but is the safest bet.

The xiaomi mi a3 comes with stock android but the screen is way too saturated, and 720p amoled.

What I would suggest is the Xiaomi mi 10 lite, but yeah...the choices are really limited.

I see,  thanks,  I'll look into those, just out of curiosity,  otherwise I'll just have to wait 10 days and hope the pixel 4a is actually available then too. 

The girl in the phone shop said she never sold or otherwise saw a pixel phone lmao,  so it looks like I could get "lucky" ;)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 8/31/2020 at 11:27 PM, Mark Kaine said:

€200-350

It's unfortunately really not easy for me to find a new good phone though (although pixel 4a seems really nice, outside the fact you can't use a SD card, but it's not available here yet and I actually need a new phone literally asap,  though I just might wait for the 4a) since I have some criterias that *must* be fulfilled 

- Small is good, around  5 inch screen or smaller preferably 

- Must have 3.5 headphone jack 

- the more stock Android the better 

- Must have Google Play Store 

- Good battery,  good camera (not "the best" but good) 

- Good build quality 

- Good screen (preferably 1080p, 16:9)

- IPS preferably,  otherwise an oversaturated OLED will be acceptable too,  I guess. 

If the small screen(~5 inch) is a deal breaker for you then your best choice would be pixel 4a. Also I would suggest you to go for AMOLED screen instead of IPS LCD. There are many good Samsung phones that comes under your requirements like A51, A71 etc. You should definately take a look at that. Samsung M series if its available in your region. Also if you could get older iphones like iphone 7, 8, 8 plus in your budget go ahead with that as well. Apple still gives OS updates to those devices and will last you longer. those are also ~5 inch screen phones

2 hours ago, RajTheGeek said:

If the small screen(~5 inch) is a deal breaker for you then your best choice would be pixel 4a. Also I would suggest you to go for AMOLED screen instead of IPS LCD. There are many good Samsung phones that comes under your requirements like A51, A71 etc. You should definately take a look at that. Samsung M series if its available in your region. Also if you could get older iphones like iphone 7, 8, 8 plus in your budget go ahead with that as well. Apple still gives OS updates to those devices and will last you longer. those are also ~5 inch screen phones

Yeah - small screen / phone, headphone jack is kinda the deal breaker on many phones... 

Also reading some reviews, while amoled may have worse picture quality (that's a given basically) it does seem to have faster reaction times overall and that's something that bugs me a lot on my phone... 

Eh, yeah Samsung I don't know what to think of but you're right some of their phones would totally fit. 

Funny enough I thought of an iPhone too - because they're small,  and surprisingly cheap... But what's holding me back is the whole usability thing, I'm surfing and downloading a lot of stuff on my phone(like Windows software,  mods, photos...) also take a lot screen shots, etc.  So I definitely need *good* connectivity to my PC. 

So yeah, in that case I'd really have to try it out and if it's too tedious / doesn't work return it. 

It's not that I hate apple,  but the restrictions they put in is really the opposite what I want (also, ugh,  my apps... that would suck losing them,  but maybe worth a try,  if only because I'm really sick of androids "bigger = better" bs lol)

Pixel 4a is not available here for another month or so,  so it's not really an option btw. 

Edit: well, after some digging,  most apple phones don't have a 3.5 headphone jack,  no SD card support *and* a proprietary "lighting" port . 

Is unfortunately not an option it looks like.  :/

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...

I hate the phone sizes today and i used to have a few Sony Xperias as well in the past. I also have several headphones with 3.5mm connectors.

There isn't a lot options these days, but other than the mentioned phones, take a look at Samsung S10e.

JP