Is this network going to work good?

Yorick01

Hello,

So I wanted to upgrade the wifi to get wifi in the complete house. So I wanted to get the google wifi and the bitdefender box 2.

But I'm also using a switch at home so is this setup going to work?

ISP modem > Bitdefender box > switch > to the google wifi and all the other pc's

And I need to power off the wifi on the ISP modem right?

Thnx for the help already!

13 minutes ago, Yorick01 said:

Hello,

So I wanted to upgrade the wifi to get wifi in the complete house. So I wanted to get the google wifi and the bitdefender box 2.

But I'm also using a switch at home so is this setup going to work?

ISP modem > Bitdefender box > switch > to the google wifi and all the other pc's

And I need to power off the wifi on the ISP modem right?

Thnx for the help already!

Oh Boy. 

Firstly your ISP box is NOT a modem. Its a gateway(Modem/Router). The second thing is, your Bit Defender box seems to be a router itself as well, at least according to their site it offers WiFi, which means it has to be able to do NAT. Adding Google Wifi if not setup correctly will add a 3rd layer of NAT. 

Will you get internet connectivity? Probably. Will all services work? No. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Oh Boy. 

Firstly your ISP box is NOT a modem. Its a gateway(Modem/Router). The second thing is, your Bit Defender box seems to be a router itself as well, at least according to their site it offers WiFi, which means it has to be able to do NAT. Adding Google Wifi if not setup correctly will add a 3rd layer of NAT. 

Will you get internet connectivity? Probably. Will all services work? No. 

You can turn off the router function on the bitdefender box.

And at they bitdefender they say you can use it like this: isp modem > bitdefender box > router

8 minutes ago, Yorick01 said:

You can turn off the router function on the bitdefender box.

And at they bitdefender they say you can use it like this: isp modem > bitdefender box > router

Your modem is NOT a modem. Its a modem/Router combo. Turning off the WiFi in the box, does not make it a modem. You have to put it in to bridge mode, that's IF the ISP allows that. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Your modem is NOT a modem. Its a modem/Router combo. Turning off the WiFi in the box, does not make it a modem. You have to put it in to bridge mode, that's IF the ISP allows that. 

Yes the ISP supports that

14 minutes ago, Yorick01 said:

Yes the ISP supports that

Then you need to do bridge mode. Use the Google Wifi as your router. 

So it would be ISP box (bride mode)>Bit Defender box in its version fo bridge mode> Google Wifi router > Switch. 

48 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Then you need to do bridge mode. Use the Google Wifi as your router. 

So it would be ISP box (bride mode)>Bit Defender box in its version fo bridge mode> Google Wifi router > Switch. 

Alright and is the best to setup first the modem in bridge mode > setting up google wifi > bitdefender box > and then the switch?

And is this switch good to use? Netgear GS116E

2 minutes ago, Yorick01 said:

Alright and is the best to setup first the modem in bridge mode > setting up google wifi > bitdefender box > and then the switch?

And is this switch good to use? Netgear GS116E

The whole point of the bit defender box is the all internet traffic passes thru it so it can detect virus's and such, at least according to their marketing material. So the Bitdefender box needs to be between the modem and router, because that how its suppose to work. 

Any Gigabit switch will work. You just need enough ports. The switch you're using seems to be managed. Thats outside my wheel house. Maybe someone will chime in about it. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The whole point of the bit defender box is the all internet traffic passes thru it so it can detect virus's and such, at least according to their marketing material. So the Bitdefender box needs to be between the modem and router, because that how its suppose to work. 

Any Gigabit switch will work. You just need enough ports. The switch you're using seems to be managed. Thats outside my wheel house. Maybe someone will chime in about it. 

Yes I know that the bitdefender should be between the modem and Google wifi.

But I was talking about in what order I should install/setup those systems

4 minutes ago, Yorick01 said:

Yes I know that the bitdefender should be between the modem and Google wifi.

But I was talking about in what order I should install/setup those systems

What I stated here:

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

What I stated here:

But when you setup the bitdefender box you can choose if you want to use it as wifi also or to use another device for wifi

Just now, Yorick01 said:

But when you setup the bitdefender box you can choose if you want to use it as wifi also or to use another device for wifi

You DONT want to hook multiple routers together. Doing so leads to cascading NAT and a lot of software that requires internet connectivity doesn't like it. So you have to pick what device you want to use as your router. If you chose the Bitdefender box then you want to use wireless AP's, not sure if the Google Wifi units will operate in AP mode. 

At the end of the day you want only ONE device doing NAT. 

29 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You DONT want to hook multiple routers together. Doing so leads to cascading NAT and a lot of software that requires internet connectivity doesn't like it. So you have to pick what device you want to use as your router. If you chose the Bitdefender box then you want to use wireless AP's, not sure if the Google Wifi units will operate in AP mode. 

At the end of the day you want only ONE device doing NAT. 

What do you mean exactly?

Because the google wifi will be the router and the bitdefender box will be the firewall

52 minutes ago, Yorick01 said:

What do you mean exactly?

Because the google wifi will be the router and the bitdefender box will be the firewall

Anything that allows multiple devices to connect to the internet uses NAT aka is a router or gateway. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Anything that allows multiple devices to connect to the internet uses NAT aka is a router or gateway. 

But only the google wifi will work like a router right?

Just now, Yorick01 said:

But only the google wifi will work like a router right?

Im sorry but Im trying to explain it in an easy way. IF you DONT configure the devices properly then no. The Device that does NAT has to be directly connected to the modem PERIOD. Technically your ISP box is a modem and router in one box (Router #1), the Bit defender box offers WiFi to MULTIPLE device which means its a router as well (Router #2), then you add the Google Wifi in to the mix, aka a Router ( Router #3). You have to manually go in and configure the devices properly and put them in the right order. 

The order being: 

Your ISP box in bridge mode > The Bit Defender box in its version of bridge mode > Your Google Wifi router(Only device that is doing NAT) > Any devices you wish to connect 

Because at the end of the day your ISP gives you ONE IPv4 address and most of the internet still runs on IPv4. Because you have ONE IP address and multiple devices you need NAT. Having multiple layers of NAT is bad, because then it becomes harder to impossible to port forward thru the fire walls of each router. As such some software and hardware doesn't like NAT, add multiple layers and it becomes a nightmare. 

So that ultimately means you loose WiFi and the use of all but one Ethernet ports on your ISP's box. The Bit Defender box looses the ability to do WiFi (Will just perform security duty)and the Google Wifi is the only devices that will be providing Wifi and network connectivity to your devices as well as another firewall.