RAM not listed in QVL of Mobo, will it work?

Go to solution Solved by Haro,

Don't worry about QVL lists, for the most part it should work just fine, you may need to do some tinkering to get to the advertised speeds  but that's it, though 3600 isn't an easy thing to achieve with zen +'s imc, but don't worry about the QVL list though, even if the ram did not run at 3200/3600 etc, it'll work just fine.

Hello everyone I need help with choosing RAM to upgrade from 2400. Having read many articles online I only lost time so I need your help.

I have settled between those two:

G.Skill TridentZ Neo 16GB DDR4-3600MHz (F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC) <- Main focus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4-3200MHz (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W) <- Backup 

So since I have a second gen ryzen (2700x) I am aware that 3600Mhz ram can be a pain in the ass to run and it's maximum speed in my mobo qvl list (Prime x470 pro) 

Second one is also not in qvl list but since it's 3200 it sould run smoothly? I hope that it runs great as it is intended maybe I won't be able to sync the lights but that's not important.

Feel free to suggest anything else! Thank you!

Don't worry about QVL lists, for the most part it should work just fine, you may need to do some tinkering to get to the advertised speeds  but that's it, though 3600 isn't an easy thing to achieve with zen +'s imc, but don't worry about the QVL list though, even if the ram did not run at 3200/3600 etc, it'll work just fine.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

QVL lists are by no means exhaustive. The majority of the time it will work fine. 

Even if it won't run at 3600MHz, you can always run it at 3200MHz or around there, which won't make a massive difference to performance. 

It usually makes no difference. 

My RAM is not on the QVL and works fine, but it will not POST at 3200MHz so I had to enable XMP and manually clock it at 3000 MHz. As long as you are okay with having to do that, it should work fine usually.

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1