£800 pc for a friend

shea99

Budget (including currency): £800ish

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Some triple A titles and other games

Basically a friend told me he was looking at buying a pre built gaming PC. I have built several of my own PC's and offered to build one for him to get a better bang for the buck. I havent kept up with recent parts as my pc is still a beast atm, but i have a slight understanding so ive put together this parts list for him.

He wants to play at 60FPS or higher on medium to high settings.

Also i havent included a case as this will be complelty upto him but i will guide him to certain brands. He may push budget upto £1000 but he may not at the same time so ball park £800ish

EDITED PARTS LIST

OLD PARTS LIST 

4 minutes ago, shea99 said:

If that's the case, then he will not need a RTX 2060. I'd step down to something like a GTX 1660. Then he could use the extra money to get some faster RAM. I'd recommend going with at least 3200 MHz. I'd also step the PSU up to something like a 650 W to give more room for upgrades in the future.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

If that's the case, then he will not need a RTX 2060. I'd step down to something like a GTX 1660. Then he could use the extra money to get some faster RAM. I'd recommend going with at least 3200 MHz. I'd also step the PSU up to something like a 650 W to give more room for upgrades in the future.

id added the RTX for the future proof element and due to it being the newest tech. I know theyre are some benefits to it but im not 100% sure of them. It was between that or a 1660 Super/TI

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Hold the liquid cooler and just get a decent air cooler like the Arctic Freezer eSports 34. As for the rest of it I would recommend at least 3200mhz RAM and a more decent board, along with a 500gb or larger SSD. Also get a better power supply.

Most importantly however if you wait about a week Ampere will launch so you will be able to get a lot better bang for buck.

Ok ill have a look into that. Not paid attention to the market advances over the last two years so ill have to have a bit of a research session.

Just now, shea99 said:

id added the RTX for the future proof element and due to it being the newest tech. I know theyre are some benefits to it but im not 100% sure of them. It was between that or a 1660 Super/TI

In my opinion, ray tracing is just an overpriced gimmick that not many games even support yet. If you really want the PC to be future-proof, then get some faster RAM, and a larger power supply so that it can be upgraded in the future without having to swap the power supply as well. I'd definitely go with the 1660 ti to free up some room in the budget for more important things.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Try this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£164.90 @ AWD-IT) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£67.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£58.79 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: ADATA SU630 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£22.99 @ AWD-IT) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£34.38 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Dragon Video Card  (£349.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Cougar MG130-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£37.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£51.46 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £788.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-25 00:44 BST+0100

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

8 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Hold the liquid cooler and just get a decent air cooler like the Arctic Freezer eSports 34. As for the rest of it I would recommend at least 3200mhz RAM and a more decent board, along with a 500gb or larger SSD. Also get a better power supply.

Most importantly however if you wait about a week Ampere will launch so you will be able to get a lot better bang for buck.

Id also added the AIO as he had mentioned watercooling and liking the aestethic

4 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

1660s is a better value though a 5700 xt would honestly be able to fit into the budget

1660 Super 

rx 5700

Although that 5700 may stretch his budget beyond what he wants as he also needs peripherals but im fine with sorting them they are a seperate budget

This is what he showed me that he saw btw https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADMI-Gaming-PC-Package-Illuminated/dp/B018GTOCYG/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1VTT3KXQJ8Q15WA333RF

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

as i said you can fit a 5700 xt

and that "gaming pc" spent their entire budget on rgb and not actual performance the processor in there is like $100 and the graphics card is also $100

Yea i know i steered him away from it ASAP as soon as i saw a 1050ti 

29 minutes ago, shea99 said:

Budget (including currency): £800ish

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Some triple A titles and other games

Basically a friend told me he was looking at buying a pre built gaming PC. I have built several of my own PC's and offered to build one for him to get a better bang for the buck. I havent kept up with recent parts as my pc is still a beast atm, but i have a slight understanding so ive put together this parts list for him.

Also i havent included a case as this will be complelty upto him but i will guide him to certain brands. He may push budget upto £1000 but he may not at the same time so ball park £800ish

Change the cooler to a hyper 212 evo. Its quieter, less chance of breaking/failure and will offer similar if not better performance

With the extra £15 saved from the cooler, get a better kit of ram from amazon. Also, buy the 240gb ssd from amazon too, itll be cheaper.

Finally, change the PSU. Those EVGA BR's are fire hazzards waiting to happen

5 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

as i said you can fit a 5700 xt

Did you just wholesale copy the list i sent?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W