Upgrading a laptop to 64MB ram

Yes, I did not mistake the title. I actually mean MEGABYTES.

I'm restoring a Toshiba 4000 CDS (specs here ) and I'm trying to upgrade the ram from 32 to 64MB. It has 32MB soldered on to the motherboard and it's upgradeable to 160MB of 66HZ memory. However I'm having issues upgrading it. I bought two 32MB sodims to try but neither of them seem to work. They look compatible to me. Specs of the ram I'm trying to get to work:

tested_speed 66MHz
PC Type PC66
CAS Latency

CL2

20200821_180416.thumb.jpg.d86aa1436b6e043f14c30b253daf1b70.jpg

I already have updated the bios to the latest version. Now since this sytem is older than I am (I'm from 99) maybe there is something I'm missing here. It should just work by plopping the thing on the motherboard right? 

Any help would be appreciated :) 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

17 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

Yes, I did not mistake the title. I actually mean MEGABYTES.

I'm restoring a Toshiba 4000 CDS (specs here ) and I'm trying to upgrade the ram from 32 to 64MB. It has 32MB soldered on to the motherboard and it's upgradeable to 160MB of 66HZ memory. However I'm having issues upgrading it. I bought two 32MB sodims to try but neither of them seem to work. They look compatible to me. Specs of the ram I'm trying to get to work:

tested_speed 66MHz
PC Type PC66
CAS Latency

CL2

20200821_180416.thumb.jpg.d86aa1436b6e043f14c30b253daf1b70.jpg

I already have updated the bios to the latest version. Now since this sytem is older than I am (I'm from 99) maybe there is something I'm missing here. It should just work by plopping the thing on the motherboard right? 

Any help would be appreciated :)

The older the ram the harder it is to mix and match I've found. If you can find someone that did a successful upgrade of this laptop or a ram support page then I would get those tested sticks. SDram is pretty picky sometimes on what it allows and what it does not.

27 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

It should just work by plopping the thing on the motherboard right? 

That is correct, IF......IF the RAM is compatible. I've found that the ancient laptops like that one, are super picky about double-sided RAM chips. Dunno what you got, but the single sided I'd had much more luck with in the past

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

That is correct, IF......IF the RAM is compatible. I've found that the ancient laptops like that one, are super picky about double-sided RAM chips. Dunno what you got, but the single sided I'd had much more luck with in the past

it is single sided and as far as I know it came out of an Toshiba laptop. Don't know which one. 

Thanks for the tip I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

3 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

it is single sided and as far as I know it came out of an Toshiba laptop. Don't know which one. 

Thanks for the tip I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

It's also possible the slot itself is dead....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.