Mounting a power supply...upside down?

Radium_Angel

So I ended up with a nice little used system in a Cooler Master 120 Elite case (ITX case)

The power supply sticks out the back of the case a bit, by design, and sits right over the CPU cooler.

By default, it seems the PSU has the main fan pointing downward, but the case have a mesh grill/cover right above where the PSU mounts, but with the PSU fan facing down, the mesh seems to serve no point.

Am I supposed to mount the PSU upside down?

Are there any...errr...downsides....to mounting it fan up?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

It seems like you can do it both ways, but you might want the PSU fan pulling more air through your cooler, but the PSU will be a bit hotter so the fan will run more often.

Looking at the website their product photos show the PSU mounting up. So I think if there's ventilation holes stamped in to the panel above it then that would probably work if you wanted to do it that way.

The benefit of having it face down is it will act as an exhaust fan for the system. The downside of this is it's acting as an exhaust fan for the system and the PSU is drawing in hot air from the CPU cooler.

http://us.coolermaster.com/uploadfile/fileproduct_list/en13082302853c0d/PRDPIC/26c11628222cdce3cb93dc0eb826b0a8_1361409112.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

If you have a good PSU, like a highly efficient model rated at 50°C, you can mount it fan down and have it act as part of the PC cooling.

My guess is they show the PSU fan up in their product picture because they're NOT using a good PSU that is NOT very efficient and is NOT rated at 50°C.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

If you have a good PSU

Case came with a fully modular Seasonic 80+ Bronze. Model SS-620GM Active PFC F3 (whew, that's a mouthful)

No clue if that's a good PSU or not.

It's powering an Asrock Z77e-ITX mobo and an i5-3570k with stock Intel cooler (no OCing)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

40 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Case came with a fully modular Seasonic 80+ Bronze. Model SS-620GM Active PFC F3 (whew, that's a mouthful)

No clue if that's a good PSU or not.

It's powering an Asrock Z77e-ITX mobo and an i5-3570k with stock Intel cooler (no OCing)

You can just say "Seasonic M12II" because that's what it's called.  😉

Not a great PSU.  But it is rated at 40°C.

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Seasonic M12II

Thanks. It's currently having to power a SSD, a GTX 660, and the CPU/mobo combo, so I"m probably okay with this PSU