FX-8120 Overclocking

I'll be getting the Corsair H100i soon together with my new Define R4.

I will be overclocking my CPU, I have a ASRock 970 Extreme3 motherboard.

I was wondering if you guys have any tips/tricks on overcloking this particular CPU?

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Start slow and work your way up in speed and voltage. Watch core temps, socket temps, and VRM temps with every change.

Start with the multiplier and work your way up 100mhz at a time. If you are new to OCing then stay away from FSB overclocking until you get more familiar with how your setup reacts to changes you make.

Start slow and work your way up in speed and voltage. Watch core temps, socket temps, and VRM temps with every change.

Start with the multiplier and work your way up 100mhz at a time. If you are new to OCing then stay away from FSB overclocking until you get more familiar with how your setup reacts to changes you make.

Any experience with that particular motherboard? Because I heard some  things about being unstable when overclocking.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Any experience with that particular motherboard? Because I heard some  things about being unstable when overclocking.

Not first hand just what I read.

Lower end boards and 970 boards typically dont do well compared to their better 990FX counterparts.

With an 8120 you are not going to have the best luck of getting high clock speeds at low voltages. So like I said, take it slow and work your way up.

What the others said is right. Overclocking on that motherboard will not be optimal at all, especially compared to a 990FX chipset motherboard. Having that in mind yous till can do a bit of overclocking, just make sure to monitor the temps of your motherboard. Please note though that many AMD motherboards have busted temperature sensors, so if you something strange like the CPU running at 20-30C or the motherboard running below 30C. If that is the case, pushing the speeds too far will not be a good idea. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

What the others said is right. Overclocking on that motherboard will not be optimal at all, especially compared to a 990FX chipset motherboard. Having that in mind yous till can do a bit of overclocking, just make sure to monitor the temps of your motherboard. Please note though that many AMD motherboards have busted temperature sensors, so if you something strange like the CPU running at 20-30C or the motherboard running below 30C. If that is the case, pushing the speeds too far will not be a good idea. 

Thanks for the heads-up, might get a new mobo if I have the money.

Not a good idea, though. I would change the processor first if you have the money. The 8120 is not a good processor, especially compared to the 8320. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

The asrock am3+ boards are known for having terrible vrm's you might want to get a higher end gigabyte or asus board.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016