How do I prep a new waterblock to be added to an existing loop?

So I have a fully plumbed in and leak tested loop, and i need to swap a block within it due to my CPU block showing some degradation.

If i were doing whole loop maintenance, I'd drain the loop, install the new block, put some Mayhems blitz part 2 around it for a while, then drain and add coolant.

I'd like to avoid having to put cleaner around my entire loop, as it means my pc is out of commission for longer, and it also means i have to do a full drain instead of just making sure the block i want to swap out is empty.

I have toyed with the idea of using a spare pump and rad (rad to act as fillport and res) to create a separate "cleaning loop" that i can use to put some Blitz part two through the tubing and block but then realized I didn't have the 6 spare fittings I'd need to do this, and they'd cost another £50 on top of what I've already spent, so I'm treating that as a last resort.

So how can i prep the new block and accompanying new tubing so that it's ready to go into the loop without having to blitz the entire loop?

20 minutes ago, Force Gaia said:

So I have a fully plumbed in and leak tested loop, and i need to swap a block within it due to my CPU block showing some degradation.

If i were doing whole loop maintenance, I'd drain the loop, install the new block, put some Mayhems blitz part 2 around it for a while, then drain and add coolant.

I'd like to avoid having to put cleaner around my entire loop, as it means my pc is out of commission for longer, and it also means i have to do a full drain instead of just making sure the block i want to swap out is empty.

I have toyed with the idea of using a spare pump and rad (rad to act as fillport and res) to create a separate "cleaning loop" that i can use to put some Blitz part two through the tubing and block but then realized I didn't have the 6 spare fittings I'd need to do this, and they'd cost another £50 on top of what I've already spent, so I'm treating that as a last resort.

So how can i prep the new block and accompanying new tubing so that it's ready to go into the loop without having to blitz the entire loop?

If the block is showing degradation then it means there is some dirt in the loop already. I'm afraid you'll have to drain and flush it with water for a bit and use new coolant or deminiralized water with anti bacterial agent.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

If the block is showing degradation then it means there is some dirt in the loop already. I'm afraid you'll have to drain and flush it with water for a bit and use new coolant or deminiralized water with anti bacterial agent.

The degredation is some internal cracks, hence the replacement, not that it's dirty. If that were the case I'd be draining the loop, deep cleaning everything then putting Blitz part 2 around it.

So this question wouldn't need to be asked if it were dirty.

17 minutes ago, Force Gaia said:

The degredation is some internal cracks, hence the replacement, not that it's dirty. If that were the case I'd be draining the loop, deep cleaning everything then putting Blitz part 2 around it.

So this question wouldn't need to be asked if it were dirty.

If that is the case then depending on the loop it may just be easier to partially drain it for safe cpu block install. In the end all you'd have to do is make sure the liquid is below the level of the cpu or the tubes are higher than the liquid is.

17 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If that is the case then depending on the loop it may just be easier to partially drain it for safe cpu block install. In the end all you'd have to do is make sure the liquid is below the level of the cpu or the tubes are higher than the liquid is.

I'm aware of that, I mean i watched the video of linus doing the on-die block and failing to keep the level right

I'm talking about if it's okay to just drop the block in, or is there anything i need to do to prep the new block before i do it

3 hours ago, Force Gaia said:

Rinse tube and block with distilled water, remove the water, and then install into the loop. Blocks and tubes hardly ever have anything that needs to be cleaned off out the box, usually only radiators  have dirt.

Just rinse the block with some distilled water and toss it in. Nothing else to worry about.

4 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Just rinse the block with some distilled water and toss it in. Nothing else to worry about.

5 hours ago, For Science! said:

Rinse tube and block with distilled water, remove the water, and then install into the loop. Blocks and tubes hardly ever have anything that needs to be cleaned off out the box, usually only radiators  have dirt.

I posted this on Reddit too, and the folks that replied there seemed to suggest scrub with toothbrush and dish soap, then rinse with distilled.

What do you guys say about that?

8 minutes ago, Force Gaia said:

I posted this on Reddit too, and the folks that replied there seemed to suggest scrub with toothbrush and dish soap, then rinse with distilled.

I think tooth paste or dish soap on a new block risks adding it as a contaminate unless you rinse it very vigorously. You also run the risk (if you open it) of the gasket not being seated correctly resulting in a leak. The big names leak test their blocks and offer some warranty, but if you open it up you lose that.

For a new component (outside of rads) a good rinse in distilled water is all that is needed. Your goal is to just get any dust or debris off it.

Your biocide/corrosion inhibitors will take car of the remaining concerns.

Now if we were talking a gunked loop or a new rad I would agree with them. New rads need a good rad dance before being used, gunked components need a good scrub. A new block though just needs a rinse and it is ready.

18 minutes ago, Force Gaia said:

no way, not for a new block.

5 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

I think tooth paste or dish soap on a new block risks adding it as a contaminate unless you rinse it very vigorously. You also run the risk (if you open it) of the gasket not being seated correctly resulting in a leak. The big names leak test their blocks and offer some warranty, but if you open it up you lose that.

For a new component (outside of rads) a good rinse in distilled water is all that is needed. Your goal is to just get any dust or debris off it.

Your biocide/corrosion inhibitors will take car of the remaining concerns.

Now if we were talking a gunked loop or a new rad I would agree with them. New rads need a good rad dance before being used, gunked components need a good scrub. A new block though just needs a rinse and it is ready.

well It's an EK Quantum Magnitude RGB plexi topped, and part of the setup for that block is to take it apart (it's completely modular, you can change the jet plate, facia piece, even the coldplate; as well as rotate it for different in-out direction)

I totally get what you said about dish soap/toothpaste as that was my concern too.

So, fill it with distilled water, shake it about a bit, empty, repeat a few times. maybe do a gravity assisted flow through with eh two fittings i do have

Seems over excessive in every way. Prep the block with distilled water and put it in. Depending on how the loop is plumbed and drain location, you don’t even have to drain the whole thing. I’ve done it plenty of times. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz