Can a RAID card be used in a motherboard that does not support raid

bigdog1565

I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section but I wanted to know if a raid card can be used in a motherboard that does not support raid

Yes. The function of a standalone RAID card is to provide the feature on a system board that doesn't otherwise have the function or features required of the array.

Depending on the board & card you might have issues with the Boot ROM not showing in UEFI mode.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Depending on the board & card you might have issues with the Boot ROM not showing in UEFI mode.

what do you mean by the boot rom?

12 minutes ago, bigdog1565 said:

what do you mean by the boot rom?

It's sort of the RAID cards own BIOS splash screen. It gives you the option to enter configuration mode to setup the array. If the boot ROM doesn't appear during startup you can't create your array. I could see this being a potential issue on desktop boards. What motherboard do you have?

When you fire up the PC you'll get a boot ROM that will allow to press a key combo to access the RAID cards config utility. If the card isn't UEFI ready this boot ROM won't show while the board is in UEFI boot mode though you can just enable CSM, access the config, create the RAID, save, disable CSM and boot in UEFI mode.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I have a ASRock H310M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 motherboard

also 

On 8/16/2020 at 5:14 PM, Master Disaster said:

When you fire up the PC you'll get a boot ROM that will allow to press a key combo to access the RAID cards config utility. If the card isn't UEFI ready this boot ROM won't show while the board is in UEFI boot mode though you can just enable CSM, access the config, create the RAID, save, disable CSM and boot in UEFI mode.

ok