Am I obligated to provide support/refund for a PC sold locally on craigslist, Offerup, Letgo, FB marketplace, etc.?

I regularly buy PC parts used, build them into gaming PCs, and then sell them locally on these sites. I have sold around ten computers since quarantine started and besides general questions, none of these PCs have failed or had anything bad happen to them yet (knock on wood). But the more time that goes by and the more I sell, there is a higher and higher chance of something going wrong with one the sold systems. The question is am I obligated to provide support or refund if I didn't specifically mention it in the listing?

I would assume that somewhere on the terms of service or something on these sites there should be something mentioning this situation that presumably sides with the seller, as I don't know the conditions/use that the PC was put under after it had been sold (may be dusty, pet hair, tinkered with by the buyer etc.)  that may have caused the failure. Anyways hopefully someone with experience or knowledge of this kind of stuff can help me out here. 

TLDR is title lol

Jet-Tek, Premiere Custom Gaming PC Build Service; DMV

No, unless you tell those that buy them you do.

Ethically, you should since you built them. Business etiquette 101: if you provide the service you should provide a form of support for an appropriate amount of time. If it is sold "As Is" there is no support and the buyer should be aware of this, if no make them aware during the sale.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I don’t think you have to but it’s probably in your interest to have a good reputation by being nice to customers and helping them 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

2 hours ago, J3TK said:

The question is am I obligated to provide support or refund if I didn't specifically mention it in the listing?

The expectation on these websites should be that a customer will be buying these items as-is, unless stated otherwise.

That means you don't have to provide any further support.

You still can provide extra support, but you should be careful with this ("give them a finger and they will take your entire hand" type of deal). It is something that can make you stand out as a seller, but on sites without reviews I wouldn't bother.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Not unless you're an official business. You're just selling used parts.

#Muricaparrotgang

You're not obligated to unless you said or implied you would and I would go as far as to say it isn't your problem after the first week, unless you are interested in building a name for yourself as the gaming PC guy

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

On 8/15/2020 at 3:58 PM, SansVarnic said:

No, unless you tell those that buy them you do.

Ethically, you should since you built them. Business etiquette 101: if you provide the service you should provide a form of support for an appropriate amount of time. If it is sold "As Is" there is no support and the buyer should be aware of this, if no make them aware during the sale.

Alright thank you for reassuring my assumptions. Yeah I would try and provide some sort of basic support should something go wrong but as others have said, items sold locally are 'as is' unless stated otherwise. 

On 8/15/2020 at 5:54 PM, Drama Lama said:

I don’t think you have to but it’s probably in your interest to have a good reputation by being nice to customers and helping them 

Thanks for the input. I have decided should anything go wrong I will stick to basic troubleshooting online but nothing too extensive. 

On 8/15/2020 at 5:57 PM, minibois said:

The expectation on these websites should be that a customer will be buying these items as-is, unless stated otherwise.

That means you don't have to provide any further support.

You still can provide extra support, but you should be careful with this ("give them a finger and they will take your entire hand" type of deal). It is something that can make you stand out as a seller, but on sites without reviews I wouldn't bother.

This is the best response so far thank you for elaborating. I have decided that should anything go wrong I will provide basic troubleshooting thru chat but nothing more. And all of these sites except for craigslist do have reviews. 

On 8/15/2020 at 10:05 PM, Caroline said:

Of course not, unless you're willing to charge a decent amount that can cover an eventual visit, transport or shipping costs, time spent, replacement parts, etc. it's not worth it unless you can make more money out of it.

Thats true I was worried about this kind of thing as some of these buyers have traveled 2 hours to meet up lol. 

On 8/16/2020 at 1:22 PM, JZStudios said:

Not unless you're an official business. You're just selling used parts.

Yep, that is what I was thinking. I am basically just reselling used parts but putting them together first, nothing more. 

On 8/16/2020 at 7:52 PM, RGProductions said:

You're not obligated to unless you said or implied you would and I would go as far as to say it isn't your problem after the first week, unless you are interested in building a name for yourself as the gaming PC guy

Yeah thank you for your assurance. I am trying to build some reputation thru the review system on these sites but at some point the buyer has to face it that these items were sold as is and no support was guarenteed.