RAM Heatsinks...are they necessary if overclocking RAM?

I need to remove the proprietary heatsinks from my RAM for CPU cooler clearance...

...should I replace the heatsinks I'm removing with RAM chip heatsinks?

My RAM's got an XMP profile of 2666MHz, it's DDR3. I'm using the overclocking utility in Asus' BIOS to overclock them; it's telling me I'm getting a 70% increase in RAM speed...

...do I need to add RAM chip heatsinks?    

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

i mean, that's a heavy overclock on these dram chips, and assuming you needed high voltages to get these, the heatsinks will probably help a lot.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

i mean, that's a heavy overclock on these dram chips, and assuming you needed high voltages to get these, the heatsinks will probably help a lot.

Thanks, for responding, it's most appreciated...

...I was kind of looking for a definitive answer, because there are so many mixed opinions on it; are you sure it would need it?

I'm about to purchase some RAM heatsinks but I'm concerned I might be wasting money.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

It couldn't hurt, my guess it depends on how much voltage is being pushed through those chips and how much airflow is naturally going over them. If you could do some temperature tests without the heatsinks and the temps aren't outrageous you are probably fine

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

No there is misconception that heat sinks help.

But the thermal pads dont transfer heat well.

I remove heat sinks from ram personally, but I'm into competitive benchmarking so I can apply cooling when not using heat sinks.

Best thing to do is put a fan right on the memory modules. 

Just now, thedangerine said:

It couldn't hurt, my guess it depends on how much voltage is being pushed through those chips and how much airflow is naturally going over them. If you could do some temperature tests without the heatsinks and the temps aren't outrageous you are probably fine

Thanks so much for responding, it's very appreciated...

...that sounds like a good idea. There should be pretty good airflow.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No there is misconception that heat sinks help.

But the thermal pads dont transfer heat well.

I remove heat sinks from ram personally, but I'm into competitive benchmarking so I can apply cooling when not using heat sinks.

Best thing to do is put a fan right on the memory modules. 

Thanks so much for responding, it's very appreciated...

...they'll be obscured by a large heatsink but I think I should be able to get a small fan to draw air up between them. 

10 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

are you sure it would need it?

Only way to know is to check RAM temps.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

are you sure it would need it?

Unless you're going to point some fans on them which in that case you could remove them. But if you wont, the heatsink will help. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Only way to know is to check RAM temps.

Is that possible? I didn't think RAM had temperature sensors?

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Unless you're going to point some fans on them which in that case you could remove them. But if you wont, the heatsink will help. 

Thanks so much, I think I'll play it safe and get some heatsinks for them. 👍

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

Thanks so much, I think I'll play it safe and get some heatsinks for them.

I mean yea as I said if you're going to be pointing some fans on them the heatsinks won't be necessary. Otherwis they'll help. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Is that possible?

Thermometer...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

I mean yea as I said if you're going to be pointing some fans on them the heatsinks won't be necessary. Otherwis they'll help. 

They're going to be obscured by a dual-tower heatsink, but I'll probably be able to put a small fan at the top of the sticks to draw air up...that's as close as I'll actually get to getting a fan on them...?...so I'm thinking it might be best to use heatsinks.

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Thermometer...

lol...  I had not thought of that. 😛🙂

2 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

so I'm thinking it might be best to use heatsinks.

Yea if you can get like a small fan for them. That'll be more than enough. 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Yea if you can get like a small fan for them. That'll be more than enough. 

I can do that; I've got a 60mm Nanoxia that I can place on top of the sticks to either blow air down across them, or suck air up through the middle of the two sticks...

...I think blowing air down would probably be best, although it will go against the direction of the airflow through the case. 

2 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

think blowing air down would probably be best, although it will go against the direction of the airflow through the case. 

Yea just any direct airflow to the dram chips will be more than enough. 

Build Log: 

9 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Yea just any direct airflow to the dram chips will be more than enough. 

Thanks so much for the input; it's saved me quite a lot of cash, not to mention the time and trouble; very appreciated.