Chances PSU fried the system?

MMTrader
Did something stupid after cleaning dust out of my PC. Forgot to turn the PSU switch to "Off". Proceeded to plug it in while the switch was on. Saw and heard a spark from the PSU power cable. The PSU power cable is connected to a strip into an outlet. I quickly unplugged everything, switched PSU off. Then slowly proceeded to plug everything back in after a few minutes. After everything was plugged in I switched the PSU switch to "On" and heard arcing noises. I then tried to power on my PC but nothing powered on. I suspect the PSU is dead at this point. Then immediately turned it off and took apart the PC to examine each component for any burn marks and smells.

GPU and RAM seem fine, not picking any unusual burn smells. The MOBO doesn't have any suspicious burn smells as well. I disconnected the PSU and plugged it in (SOLO) into an outlet and powered it on and heard more arcing noises and sometimes small pops coming from the PSU outlet near the power switch.

What are the chances this stupid mistake fried the system or damaged other components? I'm pretty certain the PSU is the main problem here. Most likely the PSU failed and died. I have been meaning to upgrade it for over a year now just did not have the time to do it, it served me well as well as this PSU is nearly 8 years old. I am more concerned about the other Components than the PSU here, I would appreciate if you guys could share any recommendations or similar experiences or things to look out for as well as if you could give some recommendations for a new PSU in the $80-$120 range. I primarily use this PC as a "At-Home" trading desk for Equities and Futures markets as well as Video Editing.

At the moment I don't have any backup PSUs to test all my components out, so I'm hoping for the best.

MY SPECS ARE:
GPU: MSI R9 390 8GB
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
RAM: 64GB Ram Corsair Vengeance LPX
MOBO: MSI x470
PSU (Dead): Coolmax Power Supply ATX 700 Power Supply - ZU-700B (Yes I know this thing is old)

8 minutes ago, MMTrader said:

Coolmax Power Supply ATX 700 Power Supply - ZU-700B

Why on earth were you even thinking about using that ancient garbage PSU in the first place?

Isn't that like a $500 graphics card?  

I've been using this PSU on this rig for over 8 years now with no problems. A few years ago I upgraded the MOBO and and RAM, really lucked out on upgrading the PSU. It was on my list but flew out of my head lol. Overall, this rig was working really well for 8 years and this is the first time it acted up like this. Anyway, looking for PSU replacement recommendations.

13 minutes ago, MMTrader said:

I've been using this PSU on this rig for over 8 years now with no problems.

That is the problem get a newer one

14 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why on earth were you even thinking about using that ancient garbage PSU in the first place?

Isn't that like a $500 graphics card?  

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

7 minutes ago, Caroline said:

The spark itself shouldn't have done anything, it's just current going through the air before the PSU draws power before the circuit is fully closed (plug pins fully inserted) it happens with a PSU and also with a lamp, the device has nothing to do.

BUT, that gives a hint though, an outlet shouldn't spark unless its polarity is reversed or there's a problem with the device you're plugging into it, like a damaged wire or a faulty switch, if you're using 2 prong plugs like let's say the Europlug there's a 50/50 chance you plug it "the other way around".

Maybe the PSU was already damaged and a really small amount of current was enough to damage it for good, it was already old, or maybe it's just coincidence, you know, it's highly unlikely but it happens.

Components *shouldn't* be damaged as the PC was turned off. Best of luck.

Yeah I'm starting to suspect that this is what happened, but it might of killed the PSU, so who knows. I'll just buy a replacement and test it. I'll try to get a new strip and plug it into another outlet after I get the new PSU

spark means a short circuit , it happened inside psu meaning no power should have output to other parts

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

why a new strip though? unless it's idk broken in half it's safe to use it as it's only a bunch of metal inside, that spark won't damage it by itself.

Just want to be sure there's nothing wrong with the strip as well. Plus they are not that expensive. So ill give it a shot once I get a new PSU.

Considering between the RM750x  and the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3. Which one of these would you consider?

Thank You Very Much!

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

all right

Between these two PSUs btw I'd go for the Corsair, the G3 isn't particularly good, not an improvement over the G2 at all, they simply made it smaller.

@ jony he might tell you more about PSUs, there's a tier list as well

Got new Corsair PSU and everything seems to work fine. No damage!