More vram vs faster vram rtx 2060

Pc6777

Can a gpu with smaller amount of faster vram be better than a gpu with a larger pool of slower vram. Like an rtx 2060 has 6 gigs of vram that's faster than the 8 gigs of vram in a 1070 or 1070 ti or 1080 which are similar preformers to a 2060 depending on use case or game. In a vram bound senerio like 4k or future vram hungry titles will the rtx 2060s vram speed make up for lack of capacity against last gen 8 gigabyte cards? How would a 2060 compare against the 1070 1070 ti or 1080 in vram bound senerios and can the new faster vram make up for only having 6 gigs? FYI I already have a 2060 non super just curious. Also I like playing at normal more moderate framerates like 50-60 frames at high/ultra textures 1440p which uses a lot more vram than like 1080p low or medium settings 144 hz and high frame rates don't use more vram right just textures and resolutions, so am I more likely to encounter a vram bottleneck at 60 fps high/ultra textures 1440p?

assuming same GPU cores:

faster VRAM is better, but having insufficient VRAM is detrimental

so as long as you have enough VRAM, faster is better

but if you have insufficient VRAM, no amount of speed will help you negate the fact that you'll have to access part of system memory for storage, which is waaaaaay slower

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

10 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

Can a gpu with smaller amount of faster vram be better than a gpu with a larger pool of slower vram. Like an rtx 2060 has 6 gigs of vram that's faster than the 8 gigs of vram in a 1070 or 1070 ti or 1080 which are similar preformers to a 2060 depending on use case or game. In a vram bound senerio like 4k or future vram hungry titles will the rtx 2060s vram speed make up for lack of capacity against last gen 8 gigabyte cards? How would a 2060 compare against the 1070 1070 to or 1080 in vram bound senerios and can the new faster vram make up for only having 6 gigs? FYI I already have a 2060 non super just curious

The GPU core make a huge difference.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

7 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

The GPU core make a huge difference.

Well I know the gpu core/graphics card makes a big difference, I was wondering if 2 similar cores/cards would be equal or would one come out on top one with less faster vram and one with more vram that's not as fast in a vram bound senerio like an rtx 2060 non super 6 GB vs a 1070 ti 8 GB at 4k or something like that.

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

assuming same GPU cores:

faster VRAM is better, but having insufficient VRAM is detrimental

so as long as you have enough VRAM, faster is better

but if you have insufficient VRAM, no amount of speed will help you negate the fact that you'll have to access part of system memory for storage, which is waaaaaay slower

Well If the card has insufficient vram that's really fast why can't it load less stuff into the vram and reload/reload more often with it's faster and smaller vram pool.

5 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

an rtx 2060 non super 6 GB vs a 1070 ti 8 GB at 4k or som

The 1070 ti core is much faster and will outperform. The VRAM is also faster due to a wider bus.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

and reload/reload more often with it's faster and smaller vram pool.

and where does the "reload" come from? system ram? hard disk/ssd?

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

and where does the "reload" come from? system ram? hard disk/ssd?

I would assume system ram feeds the vram textures maybe I'm wrong and it's SSD hard disk which would make it a bit slower.

3 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

The 1070 ti core is much faster and will outperform. The VRAM is also faster due to a wider bus.

I thought the 1070 ti and 2060 were like equal in performance, let's use a 1070 non ti as an example instead, at 4k in a vram intensive senerio that will allocate as much as you give it and has lots of large textures to load, would the vram capacity of a 1070 or the vram speed of a 2060 help more? Or if you had 2 equal cores one with 6 gigs of faster vram one with 8 gigs of slower vram which is better in senerios like that. 

Just now, Pc6777 said:

I would assume system ram feeds the vram textures maybe I'm wrong and it's SSD hard disk which would make it a bit slower.

exactly, the SSD/system ram feeds the textures to the VRAM to keep and to be processed by the GPU

so if you keep having to rely on them constantly, you'll be limited by their speed

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

exactly, the SSD/system ram feeds the textures to the VRAM to keep and to be processed by the GPU

so if you keep having to rely on them constantly, you'll be limited by their speed

So installing games that need a lot of vram and use your entire vram pool up on an SSD helps? I might do that with future titles that like having over 6 GBS at settings I want to play at. I already have decently fast ram (3000 MHz) and a decent cpu to go with my gpu(i7 6700k, not amazing but it shouldn't bottleneck a 2060 at 1440p at all) I have all my games on dual 2 terabyte hard drives maybe I will get like a 256 GB SSD for some future titles that will benifit/run better off of it and keep everything else on hard drives.

2 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

So installing games that need a lot of vram and use your entire vram pool up on an SSD helps?

what do you mean?

anyways... having insufficient VRAM just hurts performance way more than having slow VRAM

but if you have insufficient VRAM, i would just turn down game settings and be done with it

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

what do you mean?

anyways... having insufficient VRAM just hurts performance way more than having slow VRAM

but if you have insufficient VRAM, i would just turn down game settings and be done with it

I mean if I have a game installed on an SSD it can load stuff into the vram faster so it can swap with it more often, and at 1440p will 6 GBS of vram be a bottleneck to the preformance of a 2060 or by the time I run out of vram the card isn't powerful enough for what I'm trying to do anyway?

Just now, Pc6777 said:

I mean if I have a game installed on an SSD it can load stuff into the vram faster so it can swap with it more often

SSD is much slower than system memory and loading assets in system memory is already bad for a GPU

so it's going to be bad

1 minute ago, Pc6777 said:

by the time I run out of vram the card isn't powerful enough for what I'm trying to do anyway?

this is most likely the case

11 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

SSD is much slower than system memory and loading assets in system memory is already bad for a GPU

so it's going to be bad

this is most likely the case

Makes sense, I guess cards weaker than the 2060 like the RX 580 have an 8 GB option to sound more competitive, although on one game I did have a vram bottleneck with the 570 4 GB but only one game that liked vram everything else had plenty of it. I can drop settings in the future if had to but medium settings on future titles just sounds bad to me even if they look better than current games at ultra lol. I upgraded to the 2060 to avoid medium settings but also got a 1440p monitor with it which made everything harder to run and consume more vram so hopefully I will be fine for 2 or 3 years. I don't care much for frame rate as long as it's 45 or above consistently I just love those high and ultra textures I don't play anything fast paced or competitivley anyway, mostly open world adventure games ussuly and almost always sinfleplayer.

I wish graphics cards wernt so controlled like consoles, I wish they sold graphics cards without ram and just with slots and you could buy vram to put in them so you could always upgrade to more or invest in faster vram for certain things/save money and get slower vram if it's a better value ECT.