Upgrade later this year

MelleJ

Budget (including currency): €1.350,- (could upscale if necessary but not preferred)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Heaviest game: Watch Dogs: Legion; Also will have to run some VR on it but won't be AAA.

Other details:
Current PC-hardware:

• Case: Cooler Master Midi Tower Mastercase Maker 5
  • Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • CPU: Intel i7 7700K 4.20GHz
  • GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB
    • RAM: Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz
  • PSU: Corsair RM650x 650W
  • 1 Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2, 250GB
  • In total 3 Seagate Barracuda HDD for a total of 4TB storage space
  • Bunch of 140mm fans
  • Monitors: LG 32UD59-B (4K 60Hz) and AOC Q27G2U/BK (QHD 144Hz) which I both bought from a buddy of mine when he bought 2 the same monitors.

Eventhough I'm quite happy with my current setup, I'm starting to run into some issues that my GPU starts to heat up quite nicely when running games in 4K, which could be understandable due to the fact that it's a GTX1070. When Watch Dogs: Legion comes out, I want to be able to play that as good as I possibly could and was currently planning on ordering a RTX30XX when they drop. However I realised that there might be more or that it might be another thing which will then massively start holding me back compared to the RTX30XX. Of course there will always be bottlenecking, but there is a difference when a CPU only maximally runs for 30% while the GPU is doing 100% and consistently being 85C and bottlenecking where it is only minimal. Hope people can shed their ideas and lights on this.

10 hours ago, MelleJ said:

that my GPU starts to heat up quite nicely when running games in 4K

how hot?

could be understandable due to the fact that it's a GTX1070.

um how does the model of the card matter when it comes to temps? unless the cooler is bad.

Of course there will always be bottlenecking, but there is a difference when a CPU only maximally runs for 30% while the GPU is doing 100%

well assuming it's at 4k, there's not much load on the cpu but there is on the gpu, so not really a bottleneck. though the card isn't really made for 4k.

Hope people can shed their ideas and lights on this.

wait for ampere and big navi and check what they have to offer, for now this build should be fine. and if you're planning on moving to a different platform, wait for zen 3 as well.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

The 7700K will likely hold up pretty good at 4K as most of the load is on the GPU. I think what i'd do is get the successor of the 2080 Super in terms of pricing when the 30XX comes out (~700-750€), get some more SSD space for games like a Intel 665p 1TB (~120€) because you only have HDDs after your 250GB boot drive. Then wait for ryzen later this year and get the successor of the 3600 when it comes out (~200€) and a decent mobo for that like the MSI B550-A Pro(~150€).

This should add up to 1100-1300€ across the next few months.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

how hot?

About 83-87C; usually starting to quickly ramp up to 83 and then just going on to after about 10-15 mins.

3 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

um how does the model of the card matter when it comes to temps? unless the cooler is bad.

Meant more in the sense of: The 1070 isn't really made for 4K so it's understandable it gets hotter then for example running the same settings in 1080p

3 hours ago, Stahlmann98 said:

The 7700K will likely hold up pretty good at 4K as most of the load is on the GPU. I think what i'd do is get the successor of the 2080 Super in terms of pricing when the 30XX comes out (~700-750€), get some more SSD space for games like a Intel 665p 1TB (~120€) because you only have HDDs after your 250GB boot drive. Then wait for ryzen later this year and get the successor of the 3600 when it comes out (~200€) and a decent mobo for that like the MSI B550-A Pro(~150€).

This should add up to 1100-1300€ across the next few months.

Yeah, the €1.350 I was planning to save until end September is (hopefully) for both the 30XX and a 1TB SSD. Then later this year/beginning next I could also potentially upgrade the other parts. Sounds like a plan!

About 83-87C;

not exactly the worse thing. 

but as i said.

13 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

wait for ampere and big navi and check what they have to offer, for now this build should be fine. and if you're planning on moving to a different platform, wait for zen 3 as well.

^. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: