Horizon Zero Dawn - Great performance?

Aereldor

Everyone's bitching about the performance issues, but I'm running this on a GTX 1060 at 1440p using a combination of medium, high, and ultra, and it hasn't once dropped below 30fps at 1440p. 

How are your results?

gtx970 @ 1500mhz 

avg 50 fps at ultra model and details

others med to low ( cloud , shadow, reflection , blur)

taa and vsync on

##at 1080p

Edited by dfsgsfa

4 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

gtx970 @ 1500mhz 

avg 50 fps at ultra model and details

others med to low ( cloud , shadow, reflection , blur)

taa and vsync on

1080p?

i had frame pacing, random studder on Ryzen+ 2080ti system like Digital foundry has, overall not a smooth experience, ended up getting a refund. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-horizon-zero-dawn-pc-tech-review

While testing and re-testing across systems, the process could often stall and lock-up even when required storage was available. Beyond that, when I booted the game on my 4K screen in full-screen mode, something didn't look right. It turned out that Horizon was rendering at 4K, downscaling to 1080p, then upscaling to 4K again. Switching to the borderless display option fixes this (albeit introducing other issues), as does swapping back to full-screen mode from borderless. Bizarre.

the image quality looks bad, ps4 pro looked better overall with a solid 30 fps. 

13 minutes ago, The Sloth said:

the image quality looks bad, ps4 pro looked better overall with a solid 30 fps. 

tbh I'm pretty happy with the image quality, running it on borderless so I didn't run into the weird downscaling-upscaling issue, and besides a couple stutters in that first bit in the rooms as a kid, it's run fine so far. I'm honestly astounded at a laptop 1060 doing this well at 1440p in a game that is known to be poorly optimized.

In Gameplay outside of cutscenes,... no stuttering (hard stutter) but tiny micro stutters can be seen or felt at random sweeping mouse movements...
Cutscene transitions are trash though.... every single "cut" has a hard stutter.

Game also has some serious weirdness.. I can do a 180 turn, go from 75fps (in a foliage heavy jungle area) but on the 180 turn, its 50fps (slowly recovers in a second back to 60fps) when I'm not moving the mouse at all,... like its bottlenecked internally and recovering slowly. (or my MainSys DDR32133 Memory is bottlenecking me)

Outside running around, it's been quite great... (I have a playlist on YT for HZD for the curious but can't post them here)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Some people do not think that 30 fps is great performance. If you are happy, great for you!

With those settings you should SMOKE 30 fps at medium settings imo, but the port makes it hard. 

I am happy with my performance at 60 fps but there are skips and framepacing issues whenever an icon pops up in the screen. Also cutscenes. The experience is wildly inconsistent. With a pc that "old" I'm happy you are getting great results

5 hours ago, recon_zero_ said:

Some people do not think that 30 fps is great performance. If you are happy, great for you!

With those settings you should SMOKE 30 fps at medium settings imo, but the port makes it hard. 

I am happy with my performance at 60 fps but there are skips and framepacing issues whenever an icon pops up in the screen. Also cutscenes. The experience is wildly inconsistent. With a pc that "old" I'm happy you are getting great results

A laptop 1060 at 1440p? I don't know, I don't normally get to push things this high and get solid performance. 

Textures - Medium

Models - Ultra

Filtering - Ultra

Shadows - High

Reflections- Medium

Clouds - High

Antialiasing - TAA (max)

Motion Blur - On

Ambient Occlusion - Medium

At 1080p this runs at 60fps, but I have a 1440p panel so 1080p looks bad. 720p I can max it out but I prefer 1440 optimized over 720 maxed. 

Gonna try a GTX 960 2GB at 1080p today and see how it goes, probably gonna see some VRAM bottlenecking.

On 8/9/2020 at 7:53 PM, Aereldor said:

Everyone's bitching about the performance issues, but I'm running this on a GTX 1060 at 1440p using a combination of medium, high, and ultra, and it hasn't once dropped below 30fps at 1440p. 

How are your results?

Well to be fair, not going below 30 isnt indicative of good performance. Not going below 60 is. For PC ofc.

Averages above 60 and minimums no lower than 50 are the 'minimum' target for good performance.

The way HZD is performing while not ideal, isnt unexpected, its a Console port after all.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Reddit and resetera issues list

https://www.resetera.com/threads/horizon-zero-dawn-complete-edition-pc-performance-thread.263850/post-42175098

Your laptop must be a beast to get that performance with only 1250MHz core on the gpu.

I remember back in the day when the OC'd HD5770 was wiping the floor with the HD5870.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

1 hour ago, Ralf said:

Your laptop must be a beast to get that performance with only 1250MHz core on the gpu.

I remember back in the day when the OC'd HD5770 was wiping the floor with the HD5870.

It's not, the fucker was throttling until recently. It still runs really hot but for some reason no matter what I do the GPU doesn't get beyond 1300, whether it's running at 70 degrees or 90 degrees...

But yeah that performance is pretty nice, I'm surprised by it. Probably comes down to the software just working for me.

I remember that too, also when the overclocked Pentium G3258 was trading blows with the 4790k, and when an overclocked GTX 970 was on par with a 980.

1 hour ago, Ralf said:

I was wrong, it's boosting to 1750 mhz, peak 1848. It just wasn't boosting in benchmarks. Temps are good throughout gameplay, max 85 on both CPU and GPU. It also explains the really great performance.

They only get into the 90s when I stick them both at 100% with benchmarks.

1440p max settings (clouds and reflections high) 

~45fps. Depending on location, daytime and lightning it can go up or down 5fps.

I use an older driver tho. Since it works with it, i will not take any chances by changing it.

With Gsync it feels smooth and fluid.

I had 2 crashes in 40h. The first happened at the 30h mark.

Nothing to complain about. Ive read all the complains too, nothing of that happened to me.

Game looks awesome, but most important, the gameplay is fun.

20200808222835_1.thumb.jpg.7895984bbeed3d6623d35fa3662f6cf9.jpg

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

8 hours ago, Praesi said:

1440p max settings (clouds and reflections high) 

~45fps. Depending on location, daytime and lightning it can go up or down 5fps.

I use an older driver tho. Since it works with it, i will not take any chances by changing it.

With Gsync it feels smooth and fluid.

I had 2 crashes in 40h. The first happened at the 30h mark.

Nothing to complain about. Ive read all the complains too, nothing of that happened to me.

Game looks awesome, but most important, the gameplay is fun.

2 crashes here too, but I'm 30 hours in. GTX 1060 is now holding 40-45 1440p medium, occasionally dips into the 30s but it's too brief to notice. 

I find max settings on this game suck... They're visually indistinguishable from medium, and Anisotropic Filtering doesn't work in the game, you have to force it through Nvidia Control Panel, which causes glitches. Tbh I'm not sure why you don't just put it on 'medium' and get 60fps. The game was literally designed with the medium settings in mind, that's why the setting is called 'original' and not 'medium'. 

On 8/9/2020 at 11:53 AM, Aereldor said:

How are your results?

I just beat this game yesterday on hard mode (regular hard mode not ultra hard) so I feel I can speak about it with an informed mindset.

I haven’t had any problems with it at all except for one crash when I was exiting the game and that didn’t really matter since my saved game was fine and I was quitting the game for the night.

As for in-game performance:

I ran it on my 860 EVO SSD with an 8700K + 2080 Ti @ 1440p with maximum settings possible and was getting ~75 FPS.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

2 crashes here too, but I'm 30 hours in. GTX 1060 is now holding 40-45 1440p medium, occasionally dips into the 30s but it's too brief to notice. 

I find max settings on this game suck... They're visually indistinguishable from medium, and Anisotropic Filtering doesn't work in the game, you have to force it through Nvidia Control Panel, which causes glitches. Tbh I'm not sure why you don't just put it on 'medium' and get 60fps. The game was literally designed with the medium settings in mind, that's why the setting is called 'original' and not 'medium'. 

With Gsync there is not much difference between 45 and 60 fps. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

On 8/13/2020 at 6:34 PM, Praesi said:

40h.

the gameplay is fun.

What difficulty level are you playing on? And what are some cool combat strategies? I'm on hard and I'm managing to take out thunderjaws and stormbirds with the ropecaster without taking much damage, groups of anything aggressive still give me a hard time though.

3 hours ago, Aereldor said:

What difficulty level are you playing on? And what are some cool combat strategies? I'm on hard and I'm managing to take out thunderjaws and stormbirds with the ropecaster without taking much damage, groups of anything aggressive still give me a hard time though.

Shadow Sharpshooter with 3 damage Mods. 3 Arrows (Upgrade is a must) on Weakspots gets every Enemy down.