-40c chiller build

Go to solution Solved by SolarNova,
31 minutes ago, mythical tech said:

Cost of parts were 800$ and normally I would charge 20-30% cost of parts on top of it to build it but I did this one for cost of parts. I think after shipping this one was 930$ but a water cooled one is about 120$  less 

Ah ok, surprising, thought it would be cheaper in the US.

Thanks for the info :)

Specs

19.4CC lg r22 rotary compressor

2x140mm 100mm two pass condenser

3M of 1.05mm cap tube

3 coil desuperheater coil

sud 111 filter/drier

20 plate brazed plate cross flow heat exchanger 3mpa pressure tested

1 gallon insulated res with 99.95% lab grade ethanol

2x iwaki md30 pumps

Expected performance

At 300W it should be able to hold about -40c and will loose about 2c for every 70W over that.

IMG_20200804_234611.jpg

1 minute ago, NZgamer said:

Isn't it bad for processors to run too cold?

Not if you have proper insulation. This with allow a 10900k to run at 5.6-5.7ghz daily. 

1 minute ago, NZgamer said:

Isn't it bad for processors to run too cold?

people do LN2, so i guess under some circumstances, maybe not?

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

man i wanna see how long this setup lasts

which will go out first? the compressor under sustained load? the motherboard from condensation?

or will it be the cpu from overvolting

dont get me wrong, it's not sarcasm, im genuinely curious (and excited) for interesting projects like this

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

man i wanna see how long this setup lasts

which will go out first? the compressor under sustained load? the motherboard from condensation?

or will it be the cpu from overvolting

dont get me wrong, it's not sarcasm, im genuinely curious (and excited) for interesting projects like this

The compressor will be fine. I am using an slhx so compression ratios will be about 8:1-9:1, the guy who is going to be using this is using a cold box purged with co2 and kept at -20c to prevent all condensation, and the cpu will only be run at 1.45V. I have used this same model compressor in many other builds and the only one I have ever had die was in my co2 autocascade that had a compression ratio of 32:1 and it lasted about 100 hours of use

2 hours ago, mythical tech said:

At 300W it should be able to hold about -40c and will loose about 2c for every 70W over that.

@Jumper118 How does your phase setup compare?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

27 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

@Jumper118 How does your phase setup compare?

It looks like it has a spiral evaporator so not a ton of surface area. The unit also looks like it is running in a vacuum which hurts load capacity but if it uses a properly sized cap tube and compressor it should hold 300 at -35c maybe -45c but the limit is the evaporator so it can probably not do much more than 3000w no mater what temperature. Though for lower loads it might be better as it is under charged so it runs at a lower temp. 

Tools used for this project

Acetylene air torch using T-4, T-6 and T-32 tips depending on the size of joint and fed with a 40 cubic foot acetylene tank. 

Pipe bender

Drill swaging set 

15% brazing rod for copper to copper and copper to bronze 

45% brazing rod for copper to steel

5lb of co2 set to 8 psi 

400 psi nitrogen for pressure testing 

21 hours ago, mythical tech said:

Specs

19.4CC lg r22 rotary compressor

2x140mm 100mm two pass condenser

3M of 1.05mm cap tube

3 coil desuperheater coil

sud 111 filter/drier

20 plate brazed plate cross flow heat exchanger 3mpa pressure tested

1 gallon insulated res with 99.95% lab grade ethanol

2x iwaki md30 pumps

Expected performance

Good job, now insulated the living crap out of it, p

Look forward to seeing the final results with the PC build.

Out of curiosity how much than cost (parts) you to build ?

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Good job, now insulated the living crap out of it, p

Look forward to seeing the final results with the PC build.

Out of curiosity how much than cost (parts) you to build ?

I can not disclose cost as it is for a friend but I can ask if they are willing to let me share. It is not cheap but it is less than some people hard line loops(though with this you still need blocks so it is not something that can be done on a small budget). That being said I have sold some for 500$+ shipping that are just meant for benching and not for daily. They are not as strong but it does not matter for something like firestrike or r15 with a 1 gallon res as it recovers by the time you start the bench again but they would not handle a few hours of gaming as the res would not have enough capacity to keep at those temps so you need a stronger compressor to actually actively cool it. I work in hvac and just do these mostly for myself for benching on hwbot but occasionally I build them for a friend like this one. 

1 hour ago, mythical tech said:

I can not disclose cost as it is for a friend but I can ask if they are willing to let me share. It is not cheap but it is less than some people hard line loops(though with this you still need blocks so it is not something that can be done on a small budget). That being said I have sold some for 500$+ shipping that are just meant for benching and not for daily. They are not as strong but it does not matter for something like firestrike or r15 with a 1 gallon res as it recovers by the time you start the bench again but they would not handle a few hours of gaming as the res would not have enough capacity to keep at those temps so you need a stronger compressor to actually actively cool it. I work in hvac and just do these mostly for myself for benching on hwbot but occasionally I build them for a friend like this one. 

Ah, well I was only interested in the build cost of the chiller itself not the PC and/or loop.

I had at one time planned to build a similar setup, scratch built chiller, -40 to -50c target, consistent use, dry gas case, boutique style aesthetics, etc.

had it all designed and planned, but had to shelve it unfortunately.

i expect, what ever the cost, u've been able to build the chiller far cheaper than what it would cost me in the UK, getting the parts isnt exactly easy here.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Ah, well I was only interested in the build cost of the chiller itself not the PC and/or loop.

I had at one time planned to build a similar setup, scratch built chiller, -40 to -50c target, consistent use, dry gas case, boutique style aesthetics, etc.

had it all designed and planned, but had to shelve it unfortunately.

i expect, what ever the cost, u've been able to build the chiller far cheaper than what it would cost me in the UK, getting the parts isnt exactly easy here.

Cost of parts were 800$ and normally I would charge 20-30% cost of parts on top of it to build it but I did this one for cost of parts. I think after shipping this one was 930$ but a water cooled one is about 120$  less 

31 minutes ago, mythical tech said:

26 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

I only use brand new parts and high pressure rated stuff. I can build one for 200$ but it is not up to my standards of work.