Delid then relid with LM. Should I use Conductonaut or Kryonaut between heatsink and IHS? (NH-D15, 4790k)

Hey all!

Finally decided to delid my 4790k, going to use Conductonaut between IHS and die. Now thinking what I should use between the IHS and the NH-D15. 

Anyone know the performance difference between:

Die -> LM -> IHS -> TIM -> Heatsink and

Die -> LM -> IHS -> LM -> Heatsink ?

My main concern is I've never used LM before, I'm worried about leakage and bricking something. Whereas I'm more comfortable with excess Kryonaut squished out the side of IHS and freely dangling around the motherboard.

If the temp difference isn't that much then I'll just stick with TIM between IHS and heatsink, thoughts?

3 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

If the temp difference isn't that much then I'll just stick with TIM between IHS and heatsink, thoughts?

Depends, what's your heatsink?

IIRC you can get galvanic corrosion between an IHS and most cold plates on heats sinks because they're different materials (copper vs aluminum). Additionally, it's often not worth it due to your aforementioned "spill out of cooler and onto motherboard which could short something out" problem. 

Most people I see using LM use it ad a direct die application, or use a normal TIM between the IHS and heatsink such as kryonaut. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Depends, what's your heatsink?

IIRC you can get galvanic corrosion between an IHS and most cold plates on heats sinks because they're different materials (copper vs aluminum). Additionally, it's often not worth it due to your aforementioned "spill out of cooler and onto motherboard which could short something out" problem. 

Most people I see using LM use it ad a direct die application, or use a normal TIM between the IHS and heatsink such as kryonaut. 

Added it now, NH-D15, and yea, that's what I thought, I do wonder what type of temp difference there are though

3 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

Added it now, NH-D15, and yea, that's what I thought, I do wonder what type of temp difference there are though

Theoretically, the hotter an object is, the more efficiently it would transfer heat using TIM with ah higher heat transfer rating. 

The 4790k is a great chip, but unless your OC was super high or you had inadequate cooling, the chip was never considered "a furnace" so a LM application would not see as drastic of a difference as something like the 8700k with 2 more cores. (9900K, 10900K and all Ryzen chips are soldered so delidding them is VERY difficult)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, crystal6tak said:

Hey all!

Finally decided to delid my 4790k, going to use Conductonaut between IHS and die. Now thinking what I should use between the IHS and the NH-D15. 

Anyone know the performance difference between:

Die -> LM -> IHS -> TIM -> Heatsink and

Die -> LM -> IHS -> LM -> Heatsink ?

My main concern is I've never used LM before, I'm worried about leakage and bricking something. Whereas I'm more comfortable with excess Kryonaut squished out the side of IHS and freely dangling around the motherboard.

Only use LM between IHS and heatsink if it's a copper aftermarket IHS (e.g bitspower).  It will give you the most for your investment that way, but you will (should) do extra prep work to avoid LM getting anywhere it shouldn't go where it can destroy something.  Kneaded eraser around the socket will work for this and is readily available.

If it's the stock relidded IHS, don't bother unless you absolutely NEED every last C.  And if you need every last C, consider paying the premium price tax for Thermalright TFX and use that on top of the IHS.  This is a few C better (maybe 1-3C) than Kryonaut after it cures for a few days. (I have tested both).

I only use lm on the substrate. So cant say what the difference is but that alone was enough for me. Never delided my 4790k, but I did it to the 4770k as i assume an unmodded cpu would sell better.

Great temp drop but even replacing the old tim is an improvement. 

I wonna keep my blocks for awhile so i dont put tim on the cooler side for regular use.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

13 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Only use LM between IHS and heatsink if it's a copper aftermarket IHS (e.g bitspower).  It will give you the most for your investment that way, but you will (should) do extra prep work to avoid LM getting anywhere it shouldn't go where it can destroy something.  Kneaded eraser around the socket will work for this and is readily available.

If it's the stock relidded IHS, don't bother unless you absolutely NEED every last C.  And if you need every last C, consider paying the premium price tax for Thermalright TFX and use that on top of the IHS.  This is a few C better (maybe 1-3C) than Kryonaut after it cures for a few days. (I have tested both).

Interesting, I didn't know there was a non conductive TIM better than kryonaut out there. Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I'll stick with TIM between heatsink and IHS after all

11 hours ago, crystal6tak said:

Interesting, I didn't know there was a non conductive TIM better than kryonaut out there. Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I'll stick with TIM between heatsink and IHS after all

I have two 11 gram tubes of Kryonaut (ok one is completely empty) and two 6 gram tubes of Thermalright TFX, so I've been able to test them on two AIO's and two 10900k's.  The TFX beat the Kryonaut slightly after a few days each time, but it seems like the Kryonaut is 1-2C better when completely fresh applied.  You do not want to try spreading it though.  You will fail if you try spreading it.  Use the "X" diagonal line application method, then apply four very small drops to each quadrant the X doesn't cover, close to the edges of the IHS (this helps a bit especially if your lines are not perfectly straight!), and you'll have a perfect application with no abnormal hot spots.  So, a large X and 4 small dots in each quadrant around the X, close to the outer edges of the IHS.

This paste is thick.  Thicker than Nanogrease extreme.  So be careful if you're using it on an AMD chip and need to remove the heatsink, because the chip WILL come off with the heatsink unless you heat it up and then power off and do the proper twist method.  Intel chips are easy.

For direct die applications, a single straight line for rectangular dies and another X for GPU dies.