PC Struggles to Play 720p and 1080p Videos.

Hey guys.

I have an old Core 2 Duo PC that has no GPU which I use for watching TV Shows, Movies etc. (After downloading them)

The problem is that this PC struggles to properly play 720p and 1080p videos, videos get stuck or sometimes and have a problem playing. (I have the same problem on my second PC which is an i5 2400, that PC also doesn't have a GPU.)

Question is, do I need a GPU to solve this? If so please recommend me a cheap GPU that will get the job done, I have no other requirements other than playing videos on this PC.

Thankyou!!

For YouTube at least, you need a GPU that supports VP9 decoding. Basically any Pascal and up Nvidia GPU does that (GT 1030 and up), but there's also a couple older ones that should be able to do it: the GTX 750 (not the 750Ti) and 950. You should be able to find these for fairly cheap in the used market, I reckon.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

For YouTube at least, you need a GPU that supports VP9 decoding. Basically any Pascal and up Nvidia GPU does that (GT 1030 and up), but there's also a couple older ones that should be able to do it: the GTX 750 (not the 750Ti) and 950. You should be able to find these for fairly cheap in the used market, I reckon.

I only want a GPU that supports 720p and 1080p videos offline, playing videos online at 720p or higher is not a requirement.
A buddy of mine recommended me to get a GT 610, do you reckon it will work? 

1 minute ago, RusselAxel said:

I only want a GPU that supports 720p and 1080p videos offline, playing videos online at 720p or higher is not a requirements.
A buddy of mine recommended me a GT 610, do you reckon it will work? 

I'm not sure, depends on what programs you use, and what sort of decoding they require your GPU to have for hardware acceleration.

This list should be of use to you:

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

you can get away with something like gt 710 or gt720

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here