Clearing CMOS daily

Hey people. The last couple of weeks i've had to clear the CMOS pretty much every time my PC has been shut down or has gone to sleep. 

I've done it by either removing the mobo button cell battery with the PSU powered off or with the CMOS jumper. And it has worked.

But its super annoying. The build runs fine. No stability issues whatsoever. I have done a couple of MEMTEST64 runs and no issues. I've had bad ram before. These seem to be in order. No heating issues either on any parts. 

I also did a BIOS update to the newest version (beta build). In general drivers are updated pretty regularly. 

CPU is OC'ed but issue remains even when its not. 

I need some help locating the issue please, be it software, hardware or voodoo. 

Intel 4690k (h100i cooled)

Asus Z97 AR

Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 4x8GB

Corsair RM750 PSU

Gigabyte 2070

1 minute ago, Falkentyne said:

Did you try replacing the CMOS battery yet?

Ahh I forgot that one - Yes I did that yesterday.

Thank you for reminding me.

Simon

13 minutes ago, SimonsSay said:

The last couple of weeks i've had to clear the CMOS pretty much every time my PC has been shut down or has gone to sleep. 

I think it could be helpful if you'd mention what problem required clearing the CMOS every time; why did you have to clear the CMOS after shutting down/puting it to sleep.

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

I think it could be helpful if you'd mention what problem required clearing the CMOS every time; why did you have to clear the CMOS after shutting down/puting it to sleep.

It doesn't post..Fans just run at max speed and I get a red CPU_LED on the mobo.

Simon

3 minutes ago, SimonsSay said:

It doesn't post..Fans just run at max speed and I get a red CPU_LED on the mobo.

Simon

I'd suggest you to look up what the red LED means in your motherboard manual. It might help to find your issue since we'd know at which state of posting it fails.

9 minutes ago, SimonsSay said:

Simon

image.png.3f032c45ec7b3fb576e55817bb8a39cc.png

From the manual.

When I looked for someone with the same issue as you, I only found that the OC could be unstable, but there was no confirmation as to whether that's the actual problem or not. [Here]

30 minutes ago, SimonsSay said:

I also did a BIOS update to the newest version (beta build).

What version BIOS did you install?

7 minutes ago, startrek03 said:

I'd suggest you to look up what the red LED means in your motherboard manual. It might help to find your issue since we'd know at which state of posting it fails.

The manual only mentions it shortly, not giving any useful info. Believe it was something like CPU may not be installed correctly. I will have to look it up again.

The CPU has never been removed since I installed it 5 years back. And when I get the thing booted, it works like a charm. 

I haven't made any hardware changes recently. Its coming from pretty much nowhere as far as I am concerned at the moment.

Simon

Any sort of build-up around that battery housing?  Perhaps the contact isn't great?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

image.png.3f032c45ec7b3fb576e55817bb8a39cc.png

From the manual.

When I looked for someone with the same issue as you, I only found that the OC could be unstable, but there was no confirmation as to whether that's the actual problem or not. [Here]

What version BIOS did you install?

I've tried going without OC on CPU. The BIOS I've tried on, and which im running right now is version 3503, the previous one was 2801. No difference. 

Simon

Just now, nick name said:

Any sort of build-up around that battery housing?  Perhaps the contact isn't great?

Yeah okay - I'll look into that. It's a pretty clean machine even if its getting old, but right now I'm hoping for something like that :D

Maybe I should take the whole thing apart, check it thoroughly and put it back together step by step. Was just hoping for some well known generic issue.

Simon

The board/bios has seen its days. There's really no real fix for this sort of issue.

The only thing you could do is try and recover the bios and then update it after that.

Research online which bios works best with that board, there may be some good information at some overclocking forums out there.

Any how, good luck!

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The board/bios has seen its days. There's really no real fix for this sort of issue.

The only thing you could do is try and recover the bios and then update it after that.

Research online which bios works best with that board, there may be some good information at some overclocking forums out there.

Any how, good luck!

Maybe you are right. I'll give the BIOS thing a go. Thank you for the input :)

Simon