Portable laptop max 14inch for coding and light gaming

51 minutes ago, tony01 said:

Both the T14 and T14s come with a AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 4650U

Both are excellent hex cores.

1 hour ago, tony01 said:

On reddit I read that overheats. I do not need all that power.

Something less powerful and more premium ? I can live with a quad core processor :)

Idk I'm gonna check all these laptops now.

Feel free to finite Reddit. Most people don't even know how to accurately monitor Zen thermals. They likely used a broken tool like HW Monitor which reports 20*C above real temperatures.

1 hour ago, tony01 said:

What about the second one here? https://www.lenovo.com/it/it/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x1/X1-Carbon-Gen-8-/p/22TP2X1X1C8

I can get it for 1600 euros with students discount. I know that it runs Intel, but it seems fine.

I'm awaiting for your view on this, thanks :)

Not worth it. Performance wise, you're getting less than a Ryzen 3 4300U with double the heat and power draw.

Like I said, HP Envy x360 or T14. The Asus ZenBook 14 is also a option but not as good as the former two. Don't judge a laptop by the way the chassis feels. The XPs 13 feels nice to touch but its among the worst mobile options

56 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Both are excellent hex cores.

Feel free to finite Reddit. Most people don't even know how to accurately monitor Zen thermals. They likely used a broken tool like HW Monitor which reports 20*C above real temperatures.

Not worth it. Performance wise, you're getting less than a Ryzen 3 4300U with double the heat and power draw.

Like I said, HP Envy x360 or T14. The Asus ZenBook 14 is also a option but not as good as the former two. Don't judge a laptop by the way the chassis feels. The XPs 13 feels nice to touch but its among the worst mobile options

What about Dell Latitude series?

For instance the 7310

23 minutes ago, tony01 said:

What about Dell Latitude series?

For instance the 7310

They've been dropping the ball recently. Firmware issues and questionable fan profiles for the thermal solutions. They also rebranded the XPS models as Precision workstation which is an insult to anyone buying a proper workstation and expecting workstation quality and features. That's why the precision users all went over to HP ZBooks and ThinkPad P series. Can't say I recommend Dells business models unless they're significantly cheaper. ThinkPads and EliteBooks are currently much better.

50 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

They've been dropping the ball recently. Firmware issues and questionable fan profiles for the thermal solutions. They also rebranded the XPS models as Precision workstation which is an insult to anyone buying a proper workstation and expecting workstation quality and features. That's why the precision users all went over to HP ZBooks and ThinkPad P series. Can't say I recommend Dells business models unless they're significantly cheaper. ThinkPads and EliteBooks are currently much better.

I have the last question for you my dear :)

how is the trackpad on the t14? Right now I have a mbp which I’ll return today and an old xps 9550 which is still going strong.

the trackpad on the mbp is top notch while on the xps is decent. How is it on the t14?

1 hour ago, tony01 said:

I have the last question for you my dear :)

how is the trackpad on the t14? Right now I have a mbp which I’ll return today and an old xps 9550 which is still going strong.

the trackpad on the mbp is top notch while on the xps is decent. How is it on the t14?

It's not as good as the MBP obviously but I have used a T460 and found the trackpad perfectly fine. It's Windows precision i believe and has solid tracking as well as lots of tuning options. I never got used to the trackpoint myself but you also have that. But yeah, these days windows trackpads are decent. It's not like in 2010 whereby the difference between Apple and Windows was massive. These days, yeah, the MBPs are nicer, but for the vast majority of people the average Windows trqckpad is also fine. The only exception is the ones using Synaptics drivers. Those are camcerous