I want to build a PC

I want to build a PC for the 1st time and I want to make sure that the parts are compatible with each other but also ensure that the measurements of specific parts won't cause issues when I insert them into a case. I have not bought the parts yet but, so I would really appreciate the feedback and recommendations if you wish to suggest better parts. My overall intentions is to play games on this but also use it for school assignments/projects. I am an IT student, so I generally download files, applications, and other things to do homework.

Here is my list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NvcP4n

Thank you,

Ben

The drives are extremely overpriced, as well as everything else. 9th gen Intel CPUs were replaced by 10th gen, so there's not much reason to go with those.

could be improved like so:

if you are not interested in waiting for AMD's new releases, that is.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Since the 9900K has been released, we've gotten new CPUs both from Intel and AMD, so I really wouldn't consider it in this day and age for a new system.

What games do you play and at what resolution/refresh rate? Do your school assignments consist of workloads that are particularly multithreaded and/or RAM intensive?

Also, if you're looking to spend this much on a rig, you'd probably be better off waiting a few more months since we're getting both new CPUs and GPUs in the following months.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Hey Ben could you wait another month? Both nvidia and amd are about to launch new gpu's which will surpass the 2080ti at probably the same pricepoint. Amd is also launching their new ryzen 4000 cpu's this fall which are supposed to flat out be better than intel.

I've noticed that you are using a 9900k which is not great value as it's on an already dead platform that has been replaced. I'm also noticing a lot of overspending in almost every area.

For gaming a normal sata drive is far far far more than enough same for your work usecase. So feel free to get cheaper larger ssds.

The cooler is a bit expensive and you could do with a aircooler like a noctua nhd14 or dark rock pro that deliver the same cooler but with air.

64gb of ram is very much so overkill and 16 is plenty even for heavy vm use 32gb is far more than enough.

10 hours ago, RiderZangetsu said:

Thank you

budget? workload? 

if you're not planning on building it right now just wait for zen 3 and ampere and big navi, the drives are overpriced and coffee lake is a platform that wont get updated and is dead in a way, the 2080ti isn't worth it and the 2080 super is better value, the 2080 ti's performance does not justify the price difference.

the psu is overkill, a 550w or a 650w is more then enough. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

You want to build your first PC and you want to blow 3 grand on it? I would advise you spend a third the budget and do it once new parts are out