Sapphire Pulse 5700XT Cooling Upgrade - Morpheus Core II

TL:DR and Temps at the bottom.

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across the Morpheus II cooler and grabbed it on a whim. I had never seen an aftermarket GPU air cooler and read some good things about it. Why not buy one and have something new to play with? I figured worst case, I wasted $85 (after shipping from the UK) More likely it'll be quieter, at least. But maybe it'll perform better and let me push my card a bit further, although I was a little worried about vrm and memory temps. Sapphire's cooler works well in that department, especially if you sacrifice some noise. But it really hits a wall with die temps. I found extreme diminishing returns above 50% fan speed, and it screams like a banshee.

I decided to use 2 Noctua P12 redux fans. I would have liked to try some Arctic P12s, as I've heard good things about them, but I had the Noctuas already. That 5 pack of Arctic's for $30 on Amazon is tempting though... I also purchased some alphacool copper heatsinks for the VRMs and RAM (10x10 and 14x14), but I wasn't sure if they would fit under the Morpheus.

I did everything in steps to establish how much each change affected temperature. My temperature benchmark was Furmark at 1440p with all stock GPU settings, except fan curve. Case fans were locked at my max curve speed, 60%. I let Furmark run until temps settled out, but at least 15 minutes. My ambient temperatures will be noted, but are usually at 70F +/- 2 degrees. I also pulled the cooler when I got the card just to look at the cooler design, and repasted with Noctua H2 paste so it isn't technically stock. I found no temperature change from the repaste though.

Evening One: I pulled the backplate and fan shroud, then mounted the two P12s with some zip ties to the stock cooler and started up Furmark. The first thing I noticed was that the new fans are roughly equal in noise at full speed to the stock fans at about 40%, and with a lower pitch sound that I prefer. I ran my stock fan curve at 50% max and was satisfied with temps but not with noise, so this alone was a great upgrade for me. Memory temps saw a nice improvement at the same noise level, but not compared to stock fans at 50%. I noticed that die temps were pretty close. Fan speed maxed on the stock fans gives similar die temps to 50%, but I never paid close attention to memory or vrm temps at high stock fan speeds.

Evening Two: I pulled the card all the way apart and started test fitting the included heatsinks to the memory chips and VRMs etc. Unfortunately the Morpheus didn't come with enough of the right size/shape Heatsinks to apply to the RAM, VRM and various other chips that the stock sapphire cooler contacts. The Alphacool heatsinks hadn't come yet, so I applied 1mm Thermal Grizzly minus 8 pads to the chips and reinstalled the stock cooler with the Morpheus included thermal compound. I wanted to see if there was any difference in thermal pad quality. The Morpheus thermal compound gave me about 5C higher temps and a larger Delta between junction and average temps, so I decided to pull the cooler again and repaste. After some isopropyl and gentle scrubbing with a soft toothbrush to clean the extra goop off, I repasted with some older Noctua H1 I had left over. Disaster! It wouldn't post. After clearing CMOS and reseating the GPU, I was worried I killed the card somehow. I would get the Aorus splash screen, then reboot. Couldn't  enter bios as well. It was late and I headed to bed. I would do troubleshooting the next evening.

Evening Three: I had a stroke of luck, my tower booted up and everything was normal. My first guess was some unevaporated Iso had been causing an issue. Junction temps ended up even worse than with the Morpheus Paste. I thought I had a mounting pressure issue or bad paste job. Pulled the cooler again, paste looked good but I believe I zip tied my fans too tightly and tweaked the cooler and PCB just enough to mess with die contact. Cleaned the board up and started prepping for copper heatsink application. When cleaning again, I found that Iso will wick under the PCB layer around the die and takes some encouragement to dry/get out of there. I got as much out/dry as I could with compressed nitrogen.

Evening Four: Alphacool heatsinks arrived. They definitely get a thumbs up from me. Well packaged, well made and not too expensive. The RAM heatsinks won't clear the cooler in all places though. Heatpipes and mounting hardware interfere somewhat. I attempted to use a bandsaw to trim the heatsinks quickly… I don't recommend it. Once you hit the fins, they bend/bind and rip the heatsink out of your holding implement. A very fine saw might work, especially hand powered, but I don't have one. I then switched to tin snips, and while it's not the prettiest, it's functional. Most of the fins I could simply bend out of the way, but some required trimming. I don't love the VRM solution Morpheus provides, but it works. I couldn't find a copper VRM heatsink and the copper ones I have are too big. Once the heatsinks were trimmed and passed test fitment, it was on to attaching them. I used the included double sided "thermal tape" with pretty good luck. There is plenty of extra to use if you mess up or if it moves and touches you etc. Once they were all attached, I applied conformal coating (2 coats) to the die area in preparation for TG Conductonaut.

Evening Six: Getting close! Heatsinks attached and seem well adhered. Conformal coating is dry and everything is ready for the cooler to be mounted. Spread TG Conductonaut on the die and cooler and mounted to the card. Attached fans with included clips (which kind of suck and barely hold the fans on) and seated the card. On to final testing!

Wow. This cooler is impressive! Memory and VRM temps are a bit higher, but those die temps! Played with overclocking the card and was thoroughly impressed with temperatures. I am running the same OC I did before but with power limit increased to 25%.

I don't love the memory and VRM temps, I want better performance everywhere. I found Arctic makes a thermal adhesive, and reports say when cut with their same version of thermal paste (Arctic Alumina), you can make a semi permanent bond. The adhesive is rated at 8 w/mK, which is the same as the Thermal Grizzly thermal pads I have and the material layer will be thinner.

If anyone has a source for a good copper GPU VRM heatsink, let me know. The aluminum one is fine, but it's aluminum and not copper. I'm going to purchase more low profile RAM heatsinks as well so I can get rid of a couple of my hacked up ones.

TL:DR

I wanted to try to improve the temps on my Sapphire Pulse 5700XT with new fans and a custom cooler. Performed tests at each stage.

All tests done with case fans locked and stock GPU bios with only GPU fan speed being modified/held. Furmark was ran until temps stabilized, then HWInfo reset and recorded for 5 minutes.

Stock Card - 40% Fan Speed

Ambient Temp: 70F

GPU Temp: 74C

GPU Junction Temp: 87C

Memory Junction Temp: 88C

VRM Temp: 75C

Average Clock Speed: 1803Mhz

Average Power Draw: 193W

Stock Card - 50% Fan Speed

Ambient Temp: 70F

GPU Temp: 71C

GPU Junction Temp: 84C

Memory Junction Temp: 82C

VRM Temp: 69C

Average Clock Speed: 1808Mhz

ASIC Power Draw: 193W

2 Noctua P12 Redux on stock cooler - 100% Fan Speed

Ambient Temp: 71F

GPU Temp: 71C

GPU Junction Temp: 85C

Memory Junction Temp: 84C

VRM Temp: 69C

Average Clock Speed: 1811Mhz

ASIC Power Draw: 193W

Morpheus Core II Stock Settings

Ambient Temp: 74C

GPU Temp: 53C

GPU Junction Temp: 65C

Memory Junction Temp: 88C

VRM Temp: 70C

Average Clock Speed: 1819Mhz

Average Power Draw: 193W

Morpheus Core II High Power Limit OC

Ambient Temp: 74F

GPU Temp: 61C

GPU Junction Temp: 80C

Memory Junction Temp: 96C

VRM Temp: 88C

Average Clock Speed: 2060Mhz

Average Power Draw: 255W

Reminds me of when people were strapping CPU tower coolers to their GTX 400 series cards. Rad.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Reminds me of when people were strapping CPU tower coolers to their GTX 400 series cards. Rad.

That's the only thing I had seen before as well.

From what I've read, these coolers are popular with the Vega cards.

A friend of mine did a similar thing with his Vega 56. Morpheus cooler, custom firmware, crazy high power limit. Was pretty sweet for a while, but the card degraded fast and now (3 years later) he has to run it underclocked.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

1 hour ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

A friend of mine did a similar thing with his Vega 56. Morpheus cooler, custom firmware, crazy high power limit. Was pretty sweet for a while, but the card degraded fast and now (3 years later) he has to run it underclocked.

I don't plan to do anything crazy with the GPU. Perhaps use More Power Tool to lock in the OC without needing to open Radeon Software, but I'm going to stick with the 1200mV at 2100Mhz target frequency. I found 2150Mhz target (max allowed in Radeon app) gets glitchy in RDR2. I also don't want to kill my card yet, I've only had it since November.

Try to set the voltage to max (1300mV) and test the gpu

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Awesome stuff! Do you have any pictures?

Temps are great too!

I put a CPU cooler on my 5700xt inspired by one of Linus' vids, my temps are not that much lower. except on the memory. I'd advise you to maybe put some other heatsinks on there. I have copper ones, and they do the trick well.

I'd really like to see how your card looks though.

Edit: Link to my build (LTT forum)

Edited by JakeOfOz
added link to my build

7 hours ago, moonbeamjones said:

How are new fans powered?

I used a splitter connected to a VGA fan adapter connected to the GPU. Fans are controlled like the stock fans.

7 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

Try to set the voltage to max (1300mV) and test the gpu

My card doesn't allow voltage over 1200mv through wattman. I'm not really willing to push the card too far anyway and cook it, I don't have THAT much disposable income. I already have my 3600 at 4.4ghz and probably high enough voltage to degrade it...

4 hours ago, JakeOfOz said:

Temps are great too!

I put a CPU cooler on my 5700xt inspired by one of Linus' vids, my temps are not that much lower. except on the memory. I'd advise you to maybe put some other heatsinks on there. I have copper ones, and they do the trick well.

I took some pictures at the beginning but wasn't diligent about it. I don't have any after I removed the stock cooler. I plan to update with pictures next time I pull the card out. I only have a couple hours each night once my kids go to bed and I ended up in a hurry.

I have some copper heatsinks, but the ones I bought were too tall and had to be trimmed in places. I ended up using a couple of the aluminum ones that came with the Morpheus as well. I want to find copper sinks that will fit without being trimmed, then use Arctic Alumina adhesive to attach them. I don't think the tape is the best thermal conductor.

I can take a picture of the assembled card tonight though.

15 hours ago, JakeOfOz said:

Temps are great too!

Didn't pull the card right now. But here it is mounted. I know my cable management sucks, but I don't have a side window so . . .

2020-08-12_16_43_46.jpg

11 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

Didn't pull the card right now. But here it is mounted. I know my cable management sucks, but I don't have a side window so . . .

2020-08-12_16_43_46.jpg

That CPU cooler is major overkill for a 3600, even with that much overclock. Were you planning on upgrading to a 3950 or something?

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

4 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

That CPU cooler is major overkill for a 3600, even with that much overclock. Were you planning on upgrading to a 3950 or something?

No plans to upgrade yet. Maybe when the new Ryzen chips come out. But doubtful. I bought it years ago for my 3570 and ran it without fans. I like to keep my system quiet, hence the 5700xt cooler upgrade.

5 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

No plans to upgrade yet. Maybe when the new Ryzen chips come out. But doubtful. I bought it years ago for my 3570 and ran it without fans. I like to keep my system quiet, hence the 5700xt cooler upgrade.

Ah, good reason then. I don't see the point of aftermarket coolers on the 5700XT at this point though. It's cheaper to just sell any underperforming card, and buy a new one with a better AIB cooler. (it's the only reason I still have the reference cooler on my 5700XT, which I wish was way quieter)

I hope AMD ships their Big Navi with a better stock cooler design than the 5700XT reference.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

6 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Ah, good reason then. I don't see the point of aftermarket coolers on the 5700XT at this point though. It's cheaper to just sell any underperforming card, and buy a new one with a better AIB cooler. (it's the only reason I still have the reference cooler on my 5700XT, which I wish was way quieter)

I hope AMD ships their Big Navi with a better stock cooler design than the 5700XT reference.

I agree that there isn't a price/performance benefit of doing this. Just like water-cooling anything but a 2080TI is a bad investment if you only care about price/performance. I bought the Sapphire Pulse because it was the best price/performance 5700XT at only $10 more than the reference blower card.

People "waste" money on all kinds of of components. But a lot of value is subjective. I think RGB is a giant waste of money. In my mind, why would anyone buy a tempered glass side panel case? They are expensive and perform worse than one with a side intake. People buy them because they like them, and they see value in them. And that's ok.

But as I said in the OP, my main reason for doing this was for fun. I was hoping to make my system quieter but, mainly, I just like to tinker. That's where the value is for me.