Is it necessary that a system have equal no. of memory channel & memory slots?

When you have 4 slots, but only 2 channels and have RAM in all 4 slots, you don't get any speed advantage from using more than 2 DIMMS, only more capacity.

Rule of thumb: If you have 2 channels, use at least 2 DIMM's for optimal performance. If you have 4 channels use at least 4 DIMM's and so on...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

24 minutes ago, Alqama said:

Is it necessary that a system have equal no. of memory channel & memory slots? what happened if the system consist of one memory channel & two memory slots, and two memory channels and two memory slots? does it affects the system's performance?

Some mobos wont keep BIOS settings if you have 2 dimms in single channel. i was having problems and needed to reset the bios every time to troubleshoot my [problem.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

you don't get any speed advantage from using more

You do get some advantages

Spoiler

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

All consumer cpus (lga1151,1200,am4(pga1331) ). Have 2 memory channels. Having 4 sticks would mean that 2 dimms per channel. That wouldn't and doesn't have any bandwidth increase (at least nothing noticable). And it would have little to no performance increase. 

53 minutes ago, Alqama said:

what is your name

No. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

11 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

You do get some advantages

Hide contents

Well, yes and no. There is a very slight performance increase because the tested two stick configuration (2x8GB) is still single rank, if you were to use say 2x16GB, so two dual rank modules, you'd see no difference by adding two more 16GB sticks. 

But still, it's good that you pointed that out to see the difference between single and dual rank, however small it might be.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

37 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

difference between single and dual rank,

Just watched buildzoid's video about it

Do you know how well ryzen 3000 memory controller deals with dual rank memory?

Can it reach 3600mhz most of the time?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Just watched buildzoid's video about it

Do you know how well ryzen 3000 memory controller deals with dual rank memory?

Can it reach 3600mhz most of the time?

I remember watching him talk about it but honestly it's really vague. I think he was saying that dual rank works great on Zen 2 but I'm not sure about the clocks.

If I had to guess, 2x16GB 3600MHz should be doable on the vast majority of Zen 2 IMCs out there, even on like entry-level B550/X570 boards. 4x16GB though, not so much I reckon.

I guess you just made me rewatch his video on it then haha.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC