sli vs single

Divamage

hi quick question

how are 2 780ti sli better than 1

is it more mem or better fps?

Both. Double the memory, and more FPS.

You get more FPS because you effectively have twice the computing power for graphics.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Better FPS, it doesn't affect the vRAM. 2Gb + 2Gb card does not equal to 4Gb total. Also, I think that if you combine a 2Gb card with a 4Gb version, it will be limited to 2Gb for both, and not 2Gb for one and 4Gb for the other. Don't quote me on that though, not 100% sure. ;)

hi quick question

how are 2 780ti better than 1

is it more mem or better fps?

First thing I will pick up on here is "is it more mem". 

Now I assume you mean More VRAM, if so then I will inform you that having one 780ti vs two in SLI will not give you any more VRAM to play with (As both cards mirror whats in VRAM).

Yes you will see FPS gains as long as the game you are playing supports SLI. as two processors doing the same task vs one processor is going to be able to do twice the work.

Both. Double the memory

False it does not double the memory.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I'm pretty sure it is just more FPS. I believe each cards writes the same things to the VRAM, so it doesn't really add any more VRAM.

Two is always better than one. Tell your girlfriend.

Unless she doesnt support SLI, then one is just wasted  ;)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

It entirely depends on wich game. It's all about optimization. Assassin's Creed 3 for instance lose FPS with SLI or Crossfire since it is so bad optimized. But games like Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinate or Battlefield 4 will use more of the cards and you will see performance increases but don't expect double performance with two cards. :)

Both, but unless you have high res, and/or nvidia surround it wound only probably increase by like a couple at most.

Nothing to see here, move along

You could always use a modded bios..

Its not exactly duble performance but near it. Check SLI scaling performance graphs for numbers.

SLI allows the two cards to divide up the necessary tasks and share the load which in theory and practice provides better FPS in most cases. To make the most efficient use of SLI'd cards, the game or program developers need to code for it. Because of this, there are some games/programs that won't benefit from SLI. To comment on some of the other comments in the thread, the VRAM will NOT compound between the cards. If you are running two GTX 780Ti's in SLI, you will only have access 3 GB of VRAM total. In the case of a card like the GTX 770 that comes in two different VRAM options, running two different amounts of VRAM in SLI will cause the higher of the two cards to only use the same amount of VRAM as the lower card. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

You get more FPS because you effectively have twice the computing power for graphics.

Both, but unless you have high res, and/or nvidia surround it wound only probably increase by like a couple at most.

So there are at least two replies here that state that having two cards in SLI gives you more memory, well IT DOESN'T! 

With two cards in SLI you'll get better performance in terms of higher frames per second, but you'll keep the same amount of VRAM, as Memory (VRAM) doesn't stack. There are tonnes of benchmark videos on YouTube, both by Linus and other Tech YouTubers you can check out to see what the performance increase is like.

Typically you'll see a 70-80% increase in performance with two cards vs one card.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Yeah, i don't think it doubles the memory. It just utilizes the memory of the other card, then uses the additional card for performance increase. TBH, if you're concerned with temps/noise output, it's definitely not preferable to SLI. But it's your call man, as long as you're enjoying your time with it. Peace!

SLi is good and all, but there is a bit of micro stuttering that is persistent throughout most games.

It is more or less noticeable depending on a person.

And the biggest problem is that not all games support it, especially on launch (except AAA titles mostly).

Cooling for top card usually becomes an issue as well, since it will be bombarded with heat from the second card, and if your original card was already reaching thermal limits, then it becomes quite tricky.

Performance increase on synthetic benchmarks seems to be around 80%'ish from my benchmarkings.

In-game, it probably is even lower since I don't think I have played a game that works 100% well with SLi.

First thing I will pick up on here is "is it more mem". 

Now I assume you mean More VRAM, if so then I will inform you that having one 780ti vs two in SLI will not give you any more VRAM to play with (As both cards mirror whats in VRAM).

Yes you will see FPS gains as long as the game you are playing supports SLI. as two processors doing the same task vs one processor is going to be able to do twice the work.

False it does not double the memory.

Actually it does but not in SLI. But you're going to need 2 monitors atleast (if you cant find a software way), having them each connected to different cards and move your app to the monitor to use the card you want. Eg photoshop taking 2500MB move it to 2nd monitor, start autocad 2500MB on first monitor.

SLi is good and all, but there is a bit of micro stuttering that is persistent throughout most games.

It is more or less noticeable depending on a person.

And the biggest problem is that not all games support it, especially on launch (except AAA titles mostly).

Cooling for top card usually becomes an issue as well, since it will be bombarded with heat from the second card, and if your original card was already reaching thermal limits, then it becomes quite tricky.

Performance increase on synthetic benchmarks seems to be around 80%'ish from my benchmarkings.

In-game, it probably is even lower since I don't think I have played a game that works 100% well with SLi.

Depends really. I've tried 2 670's before in SLI it wasnt doing anything else than microstuttering complety destroying the concept of having nearly twice as much fps. I did notice it a lot just a lot, while my friends didnt so I'm pretty sensitive to it. I have now 2 780's and I have to say I'm really impressed, there's no microstutter and I've logged the frame times to a file and I haven't seen any spike going to 40ms which is perfectly fine. 

Heat isn't really an issue especially in a FT02 with its amazing airflow for its noise, haf cases are full of airflow gimmicks, and nvidia boost 2.0 allows you to change the temperatures to your liking so it isn't really an issue anymore unless you're going for tri or quad sli.

Heat isn't really an issue especially in a FT02 with its amazing airflow for its noise, haf cases are full of airflow gimmicks, and nvidia boost 2.0 allows you to change the temperatures to your liking so it isn't really an issue anymore unless you're going for tri or quad sli.

The noise usually becomes the issue.

I try to keep my PC relatively quite, and having to bump up the temp limit results in fans working pretty darn hard.

Need to go liquid cooling someday...

But doesn't she have USB 3.0 in her rear IO? I hear thats a pretty big thing to have nowadays...

//ccap

In theory, yes, but cards rarely scale perfectly.  You're probably looking at 75% of a second 780.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

The noise usually becomes the issue.

I try to keep my PC relatively quite, and having to bump up the temp limit results in fans working pretty darn hard.

Need to go liquid cooling someday...

Not really. Change the temp to 70° (mostly its just the 1st card that's running loud and hot) and prioritize it to the temp target not power target. That way the card will throttle (lower gpu loads/power and clockspeed) to match the temp.

Not really. Change the temp to 70° (mostly its just the 1st card that's running loud and hot) and prioritize it to the temp target not power target. That way the card will throttle (lower gpu loads/power and clockspeed) to match the temp.

Thats the last thing I want the card to do. Throttle back.

Thats the last thing I want the card to do. Throttle back.

When you use SLI its a minor performance hit really :P

When you use SLI its a minor performance hit really :P

Ya, I know.

But thats why I just keep it at stock.

Max fan noise at stock is not bad at all. But as soon as I add 2C on temp... LoL