Could you class Futurama as a adult comedy?

BucketBoiAce

So after watching Futurama for a while now I have a question could you class Futurama as a  adult comedy? because: Futurama's content can be unpredictable,  The language can be crass, there are allusions to sex, characters drink and make drug references, and there is some cartoon violence. 

Gaming

39 minutes ago, BucketBoiAce said:

So after watching Futurama for a while now I have a question could you class Futurama as a  adult comedy? because: Futurama's content can be unpredictable,  The language can be crass, there are allusions to sex, characters drink and make drug references, and there is some cartoon violence. 

When it was originally made? No

Now? Yes

47 minutes ago, BucketBoiAce said:

Yes. It's definitely something that can be enjoyed by kids, but especially as time went on Fry and Lela's relationship, Benders chronic everything, Dr Zoidberg's money troubles are all kind of adult themes I feel.

Also much of the references they made were clearly aimed at an adult audience. Original Star Trek actors making guest appearances. Nixon was the president. The second episode included a reference to The Honeymooners 

That's a black and white show from the 50s.

I enjoyed it as a teen, but I'd say I enjoy it even more now.

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

Given it was written for mature audiences in the first place, I would say yes. I don't know if Groening ever truly came out and said it that way, but given what the series contained, it was pretty clear.

That doesn't mean kids can't enjoy it on some level, but the fact is it contains a lot of questionable subject matter for children. While they were PG for awhile, they were eventually TV-14 rated. On top of that, all the science-specific jokes and other references for an older generation.

I was 13 when it first started airing, and while I watched some of it over time, it didn't have the right resonance with me at the time. After getting older and learning about some of its conception and subject matter, I feel I'd appreciate it more given its legitimate scientific content and other incorporations the writers made. I've always had it on my list to re-watch all of it.

Well it's certainly not for young kids.

From the substance abuse to the subject matter. It's for a "mature" audience. 14+.

There's a lot of stuff in the show that most kids and teens won't understand, that's for certain. But it doesn't need to be classified as "adult comedy". Just like how Disney movies often have bits here and there that only adults will get, shows like Futurama can be enjoyed by almost all ages, but some parts are better understood by people who have more life experience and knowledge about various things.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Strictly adult, not really, but I'd argue that it is a more mature show than, say, something like SpongeBob. It's really in the realm of older Simpsons episodes, where they tend to be for more mature audiences but they aren't largely adult-centric like Family Guy or even Robot Chicken.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.