Why no hardware acceleration on RX480 !? (4K@60 Youtube in Chrome)

BrightShadowDK
Go to solution Solved by BTGbullseye,
58 minutes ago, BrightShadowDK said:

I was following the GTX 10-series and the RX series intense when the launched and both was marked as gaming cards but i never heard this..

so what functions do ryzen cpu's don't聽allow? NO Netflix or聽facebook 馃槈

BTW.. you write "RX480 was.." like it was聽20 years ago :D聽it's only just been 4 years..

The GTX was a multimedia card as well as gaming, and it was priced higher across the board due to it.

Ryzens don't have restricted functions in the sense you imply.

4 years and 3 (almost 4) GPU architectures ago. Polaris was heavily criticized for its lack of multimedia features, which is why later cards had more refined multimedia functionality. AMD learned and changed, don't hate on them just because you got a card from before they learned.

when i watch 4K@60 Youtube my CPU peaks at 100% and the GPU uses only 13-15%
(on my 1050ti it's the other way around: it plays Youtube in 8K with a dual core G4560)

System:
i5-6600

RX480 4GB (got the same problem on 2x RX470's)
16GB
Win10 Pro (ver. 2004)
Google Chrome + ABP + Gallerify

Did "DDU" and installed RADEON Software/Driver, and tried to disable and reactivate Hardware Acc. in Chrome..
(can't get it to work ever on any system with a RADEON GPU.. on NVIDIA it聽works Plug聽and Play..)

If I'm not mistaken, Polaris (which the RX 480 is based on) doesn't support VP9 decoding which is what YouTube uses, only Vega and Navi GPUs do from AMD's lineup.

Desktop:Intel Core i9-9900K |聽ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB @聽3200MHz CL14聽| EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop:聽2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"聽聽--聽 i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals:聽Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g聽| Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

If I'm not mistaken, Polaris (which the RX 480 is based on) doesn't support VP9 decoding which is what YouTube uses, only Vega and Navi do.

This sounds insane.. a 1060 grade GPU that can't decode Youtube !? WTF.. can anyone else confirm聽this ???

Ok.. the RX cards are dead to me 馃槈聽my pc is mainly HTPC: so now i extracted the nice "Sapphire RX480 4GB Nitro Plus" and swapped in an older "Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB" and now the pc decodes 4K Youtube using 30-60% of the GPU and 20-32% of the CPU..

so now i聽got most of my CPU resources back to do other tasks :D
(but im properly gona invest in a聽RTX 3050-3060...)

7 hours ago, BrightShadowDK said:

Ok.. the RX cards are dead to me 馃槈聽my pc is mainly HTPC: so now i extracted the nice "Sapphire RX480 4GB Nitro Plus" and swapped in an older "Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB" and now the pc decodes 4K Youtube using 30-60% of the GPU and 20-32% of the CPU..

so now i聽got most of my CPU resources back to do other tasks :D
(but im properly gona invest in a聽RTX 3050-3060...)

The RX 480 was a gaming focussed card, not a multimedia card. It was also extremely low priced for a good gaming card. (partly due to the lack of hardware decoder/encoder development)

CPU:聽Ryzen 7 5800XCooler:聽Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans聽RAM:聽G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

Motherboard:聽ASRock X570M Pro4聽GPU:聽ASRock聽RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIOCase:聽Antec P5聽PSU:聽Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC聽Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM聽Storage:聽HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

4 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

The RX 480 was a gaming focussed card, not a multimedia card. It was also extremely low priced for a good gaming card. (partly due to the lack of hardware decoder/encoder development)

I was following the GTX 10-series and the RX series intense when the launched and both was marked as gaming cards but i never heard this..

BTW.. you write "RX480 was.." like it was聽20 years ago :D聽it's only just been 4 years..

58 minutes ago, BrightShadowDK said:

The GTX was a multimedia card as well as gaming, and it was priced higher across the board due to it.

Ryzens don't have restricted functions in the sense you imply.

4 years and 3 (almost 4) GPU architectures ago. Polaris was heavily criticized for its lack of multimedia features, which is why later cards had more refined multimedia functionality. AMD learned and changed, don't hate on them just because you got a card from before they learned.

CPU:聽Ryzen 7 5800XCooler:聽Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans聽RAM:聽G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

Motherboard:聽ASRock X570M Pro4聽GPU:聽ASRock聽RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIOCase:聽Antec P5聽PSU:聽Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC聽Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM聽Storage:聽HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms