High temps on Ryzen 3600 when idle and under load. No idea what issue is.

CoolMarquis97

Posted on reddit but figured I'd also ask for help here. 

I know the Silent Base 601 case isn't exactly the best with thermals but I was shocked to find out that my computer is idling at close to 55 degrees celsius. To be fair, it is hot outside but I was expecting my Dark Rock Pro 4 to more than compensate for the bad thermals my case has. When gaming temps seem to level off around the mid 70's. Are these normal temps? I just feel odd about a case with 4 SilentWings and a $100 CPU cooler to be running so hot. If I game long enough, both the CPU and GPU will hit 80 degrees and that seems a bit high. 

.Picture of my setup and temps  

GPU: EVGA 2080 Ti XC stock, 11GB VRAM

CPU: Ryzen 3600 at 4.2GHz with Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C14D016GTZNB, slots a2 b2, no overclock just manual tune with DRAM calculator

PSU: Corsair 750W

70c is normal while gaming. as for the 55, my aio usually cools my cpu to that temp (yes i know i have a different cooler) 

80c is pretty high but if your gaming is extremely taxing and resource consuming, i guess that it is an OK temp.

also remember, your cpu is overclocked. you need to take that in consideration as well.

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

10 minutes ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

If I game long enough, both the CPU and GPU will hit 80 degrees and that seems a bit high. 

Probably a combination of high ambient temps and perhaps not the greatest airflow situation. 

If you want to lower the temps, can allways alter the fancurve, tho the temps seem allright. 

Did the cooler come with a plastic peel sticker on the base? Did you remove that?

Sometimes there can be issues with mounting pressure.

You might also like to check your BIOS that the motherboard isn't pumping more volts into it than it needs to be. Saw this happen once. Very high idle temp.

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Probably a combination of high ambient temps and perhaps not the greatest airflow situation.

I agree, although more with the airflow. Your case probably just doesn't have enough air coming through the front due to the limited inlets.

5 hours ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

Posted on reddit but figured I'd also ask for help here. 

I know the Silent Base 601 case isn't exactly the best with thermals but I was shocked to find out that my computer is idling at close to 55 degrees celsius. To be fair, it is hot outside but I was expecting my Dark Rock Pro 4 to more than compensate for the bad thermals my case has. When gaming temps seem to level off around the mid 70's. Are these normal temps? I just feel odd about a case with 4 SilentWings and a $100 CPU cooler to be running so hot. If I game long enough, both the CPU and GPU will hit 80 degrees and that seems a bit high. 

.Picture of my setup and temps  

GPU: EVGA 2080 Ti XC stock, 11GB VRAM

CPU: Ryzen 3600 at 4.2GHz with Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C14D016GTZNB, slots a2 b2, no overclock just manual tune with DRAM calculator

PSU: Corsair 750W

If ur cpu is overclocked, try to undo it or don’t over clock it too much. I used to have temp problems and I just applied new thermal paste and that made a difference.

my 240 AIO is 75c under load. your fine. You idle is ok im at 45c idle

You tried running it with the case open, might confirm if it is just bad airflow causing it.

Running a static clock of 4.2 isn't likely to help with idle temps either, perhaps try setting it to stock clocks and voltage to check what effect the OC has on the idle temps?