CPU Power Adapter

I Recently got a MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX mother board and it has a 1+4 pin & 1+8 pin for the CPU power. Problem is my PSU is not modular and only has a 1+8 pin CPU power connector. Is there some kind Splitter that I can get so I do not need to replace my 750W Power supply? Any help would be appreciated, it is not the easiest thing to find, it may not even exist for my needs. 

1 minute ago, PC_Guy_On_Wheels40 said:

I Recently got a MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX mother board and it has a 1+4 pin & 1+8 pin for the CPU power. Problem is my PSU is not modular and only has a 1+8 pin CPU power connector. Is there some kind Splitter that I can get so I do not need to replace my 750W Power supply? Any help would be appreciated, it is not the easiest thing to find, it may not even exist for my needs. 

You don't need the 4 pin EPS, as the 8 pin EPS already provides 384W of power, which is plenty for any CPU on the platform (sans OC'ing a 10900K on LN2.. but that is not a normal workload).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, PC_Guy_On_Wheels40 said:

1+4 pin & 1+8 pin

u mean 4 pin  and 8 pin?

2 minutes ago, PC_Guy_On_Wheels40 said:

Is there some kind Splitter that I can get so I do not need to replace my 750W Power supply?

i believe most motherboards are designed so that u can boot with only the 8 pin plugged in, u dont really need the  extra 4 pin, power delivery wise

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

u mean 4 pin  and 8 pin?

i believe most motherboards are designed so that u can boot with only the 8 pin plugged in, u dont really need the  extra 4 pin, power delivery wise

Yes 4 pin and 8 pin, yeah I have seen some say that you need just the 8 Pin. Thank you for the response. 

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

You don't need the 4 pin EPS, as the 8 pin EPS already provides 384W of power, which is plenty for any CPU on the platform (sans OC'ing a 10900K on LN2.. but that is not a normal workload).

Thank you for the response, I am thinking I need both and would like to OC at some point. I game mostly, so nothing to intense for me really. 

2 minutes ago, PC_Guy_On_Wheels40 said:

Thank you for the response, I am thinking I need both and would like to OC at some point. I game mostly, so nothing to intense for me really. 

During full load, a 10900K (the most power hungry CPU on the platform) pull just under 300W, so still not  enough to overload the 384W limit of the 8 pin EPS.

Otherwise you need to purchase a new PSU which does have the 8 pin EPS + 4 pin/8 pin EPS included.

Source: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i9_10900k_processor_review,5.html

Edited by minibois
added source

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

During full load, a 10900K (the most power hungry CPU on the platform) pull just under 300W, so still not  enough to overload the 384W limit of the 8 pin EPS.

Otherwise you need to purchase a new PSU which does have the 8 pin EPS + 4 pin/8 pin EPS included.

Source: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i9_10900k_processor_review,5.html

Thank you do the information, I just got a 10700K, I was just thinking well it has the extra 4 pin so I need it. I am not as well versed on Power loads and consumption. 

The extra 4-pin only really makes sense if you're hammering a 10900K in Prime95 Small FFT at 5.3GHz nonstop.

Since realistically most people don't do that, assuming you won't either, you don't need the extra 4-pin. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

55 minutes ago, PC_Guy_On_Wheels40 said:

Thank you do the information, I just got a 10700K, I was just thinking well it has the extra 4 pin so I need it. I am not as well versed on Power loads and consumption. 

Everyone, including me, is telling you that you don't need it.

But you're insisting that you need it.

So then go buy a power supply that supports two CPU cables.

An adapter is actually a WORSE solution then just using the one 8-pin.

18 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

But you're insisting that you need it

No, they weren't.

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The extra 4-pin only really makes sense if you're hammering a 10900K in Prime95 Small FFT at 5.3GHz nonstop.

Since realistically most people don't do that, assuming you won't either, you don't need the extra 4-pin. 

Yeah for me I will be gaming, any workstation stuff I never use. AutoCad I use but that is only 2D drawings. Thank you for the reply, just wanna get the info I need to make sure I don't need a new PSU. 

21 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Everyone, including me, is telling you that you don't need it.

But you're insisting that you need it.

So then go buy a power supply that supports two CPU cables.

An adapter is actually a WORSE solution then just using the one 8-pin.

Oh I am not insisting that I need it at all, I will use just the 8 Pin connector. I Trust what everyone that replied has said.

11 hours ago, PC_Guy_On_Wheels40 said:

it is not the easiest thing to find, it may not even exist for my needs. 

probably a little late to this. but you only need the 8 pin. the extra one is for heavy overclocking like ln2 which with ambient you wont be able to do. the single 8 pin can easily provide 384w of power, and you wont reach that with a 10700k. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

probably a little late to this. but you only need the 8 pin. the extra one is for heavy overclocking like ln2 which with ambient you wont be able to do. the single 8 pin can easily provide 384w of power, and you wont reach that with a 10700k. 

@TofuHaroto Thank you for the reply, I won't worry about it then and go with the 8 Pin.