How should I partition my 1TB NVME M.2 and 1TB HDD

Hey! Guys I just built my first PC and I have a 1tb nvme and 2tb hdd. I'll use my PC for graphic desiging, video editing and gaming and I'm confused on how many partitions should I make so can you help me out on how much space should i dedicate to my OS, games, videos and graphic designing work

Just 1 partition. No real benefit from creating multiple ones if you mean that.

5 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Just 1 partition. No real benefit from creating multiple ones if you mean that.

I concur. On an HDD, there is a very minimal benefit in creating a partition at the beginning of the disk for stuff that needs to be loaded as fast as possible, but since the OP has an NVMe-drive, even that point is irrelevant and all the frequently-used stuff and all apps and games should be there.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I've read somewhere that  you can install your games on the hdd and it won't cause any problem is that true?

Just now, Omi_129 said:

I've read somewhere that the you can install your games on the hdd and it won't cause any problem is that true?

Depends on the game. Some games will load multiple minutes on an hdd, while only seconds on ssd, you might also have problems with live asset loading, but generally yes, they will work fine, but just take forever to load.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Omi_129 said:

I've read somewhere that  you can install your games on the hdd and it won't cause any problem is that true?

No problems. Load times may(!) suffer a bit(!), but that's not really an issue. At least for me. I keep my games on a NAS and didn't recognize any issues during gaming.

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Depends on the game. Some games will load multiple minutes on an hdd, while only seconds on ssd, you might also have problems with live asset loading, but generally yes, they will work fine, but just take forever to load.

Name one game were the loading time difference is "multiple minutes" please. I think that's propaganda.

OS, open world games and slow loading programs on NVME, everything else on HDD.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Yeah! I'm thinking about dedicating 250 GB of my M.2 to my OS and the remaining for programmes like photoshop, video editing, graphic desiging softwares and some slow loading games and leave my hdd for the everything else like the projects which I've completed, pics and some other stuff. What do you guys think about it?

12 minutes ago, Korben said:

Name one game were the loading time difference is "multiple minutes" please. I think that's propaganda.

Battlefield 1 and Battlefield 5.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, Omi_129 said:

Yeah! I'm thinking about dedicating 250 GB of my M.2 to my OS and the remaining for programmes like photoshop, video editing, graphic desiging softwares and some slow loading games and leave my hdd for the everything else like the projects which I've completed, pics and some other stuff. What do you guys think about it?

As long as you don't do that by partitioning it sounds reasonable. Partitioning just limits you later on without the need to.

8 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Battlefield 1 and Battlefield 5.

Since I don't own these games I can't confirm or deny that. What I read from a fast Google search there is more of a discussion about SSDs enhancing the performance/FPS of these games than loading times. Loading times are not mentioned very often.

Just now, Korben said:

Since I don't own these games I can't confirm or deny that. What I read from a fast Google search there is more of a discussion about SSDs enhancing the performance/FPS of these games than loading times. Loading times are not mentioned very often.

My experience is loading time improvement and not FPS but maybe that is the games I play. 

I have not tested this scientifically but I don’t have time for that...

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz